Ratings for Dr. J.F. Chevalier

Dr Chevalier gave me my life back. After an injury at the work place, I spent 2 years of my life in excruciating and dibilatating nerve pain. I dropped most items picked up, couldn't feel my left arm and fingers. I struggled as a Mom of 5 to do most things. I walked around with what felt like 2 butcher knives between my shoulder blades. I cannot express how low and depressed I felt of my very exsistance and how worthless I felt as a mother. I visited his office on December 11 2017 and was called into surgery on December 27th !!!! Completely shocked at how soon I was able to have surgery. After surgery, I knew immediately it was sucessful. 3 months out, this Momma is a different person, walking with my head held high and confident about life and my ability to provide for my family. I cant thank Dr Chevalier enough for his expertise. He was always informative and really takes the time to value your concerns and explaining the surgery. He makes you feel important and his sympathy/ empathy towards his patients is outstanding. He is a stellar doctor and I would recommend him to anyone!!!! Thanks doc, words cannot express how grateful I am.

flag | Submitted March 26, 2018

Dr. Chevalier was the epitome of a great health care provider. He preformed an excellent emergency spinal surgery with the utmost care, he was relatable and reassuring. He truly is an advocate for his patients health, he even set me up with referrals to other specialists for completely unrelated health issues because I didn't have a family dr. He went above and beyond!

flag | Submitted March 16, 2018

Amazing, kind hearted doctor! Thank you for giving me life again!

flag | Submitted February 27, 2018

I broke my neck in December of 2015 in a serious car accident and 23 months later I have recovered because of the extraordinary neck surgery Dr. Chevalier performed. He is very professional and polite and his assistant in his office is amazing. My friends and family were very impressed with my care. I am very grateful for his outstanding care.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

He really needs lessons in patient care. No communication skills. We still haven't heard from him in 3 days after he had a CT done on my Mom. A family member was with my Mom when he stopped by. When she asked him a question, he turned his back on her and walked away. Even the nurse was shocked.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2017

Four years ago, my bf was diagnosed with a grade III malignant brain tumor. This tumor was on his right frontal lobe and was very close to the area that controls voluntary movements of his left body parts. He then was quickly introduced to Dr.Chevalier. After our first meeting with Dr.Chevalier, we found Dr.Chevalier super professional and friendly. Dr.Chevalier gave my bf an intraoperative wake-up during his tumor resection surgery to prevent from hurting any of the functional area around the tumor. Dr. Chevalier was so thoughtful that he called me during the surgery to tell me my bf's surgery was going very well and he even let my bf talked to me (while his skull was open lol). This call truly appeased my anxious. :)A million thanks to Dr. Chevalier & his team & staff! So far my husband (we married this year) has been doing very well. We will keep living a positive and healthy life no matter what happens in the future.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

If all Doctors were like Dr Chevalier the world would be a better place. He actually cares about his patients and their quality of life. I agree that the Punctuality isn't great, but there is good reason for it. My first appointment with Dr. Chevalier was right after he was called into an emergency surgery. After working a 12 hour shift he still made time for me. Kamloops is lucky to have Doctors like this.

flag | Submitted March 31, 2015

I'd had pains in my lower back and right leg for a couple months, when one day after school the pain was so bad I couldn't even walk to my car without crying the entire way. Shortly thereafter I had a CT done at the hospital & I was diagnosed with a severely herniated disc (L5-S1) : a common injury, except that mine had herniated into my spine and was contacting both nerve roots, impinging on the right side quite badly. The standard wait time to see Dr. Chevalier is 3 months, but after a sharp decline in my strength & mobility, and a steady increase in pain, he agreed to see me a month early. I didn't know what to expect, and was waiting anxiously, so of course I googled him to try and figure out what I was in for. I was convinced from these reviews that I'd need to prepare myself emotionally for some "tough love" or second rate bedside manner. But it couldn't be further from the truth. At my first visit he examined me and reviewed the CT scan with myself & my dad, explaining what everything meant. He told me that I would need surgery and of course (being in the pain I was in) I agreed. He asked me if I had any plans (I was thinking in a week or two or three) and I said no. He got on the phone with RIH and put me on the emergency surgery list for the next day!! He'd actually treid to get me in that same day but the O.R.s were all booked up. I was absolutely floored. I couldn't thank him enough and his answer back to me was "Merry Christmas". Merry Christmas indeed!!! I did end up waiting a couple days (for good reason of course: other emergencies MUCH more severe - broken spines/paralyzed, brain injuries) but after 3 days on the wait list got a call that I'd be getting my surgery on the weekend. I was so excited & nervous at the same time. I arrived at RIH and the nurses prepped me for surgery then wheeled me into the OR. I must have looked like a deer in the headlights because Dr. Chevalier pulled a chair up beside my stretcher & started chatting with me which really helped distract me from everything else going on as nurses & dr.'s prepared for the surgery. Next thing I knew my IV was in and lights out. When I woke up my pain was almost all gone!! My surgery was booked for 2 hours but had taken almost double that as it was quite a mess in there. I had a microdisectomy & laminectomy (an outpatient procedure) but I ended up staying in the hospital for 2 days because of inflammation that flared up my pain. Dr. Chevalier came and visited me both days to check the incision & how I was doing. He was very kind & understanding even when I started blubbering on about silly Christmas stress (I hadn't slept for 3 nights). After a full nights rest I could not have been happier: I had a pain free Christmas with my family. :) The recovery is a little bit longer than I expected but I can't complain: if you're going for surgery DO make sure to arrange for a friend or family member to come help you around the house for a little while- mainly picking things up when you drop them, lifting heavy things and helping you put your damned socks on ha ha. *Update: I thought my incision was infected & went to the hospital to get it checked rather than phoning Dr. Chevalier: I know he's very busy saving peoples lives so I din't think to bug him about this little problem. Well he was just getting out of a 12+ hour surgery and heard I was there and came in & checked it out himself. He ordered blood-work and insisted I come to his office within the next couple days. (This was on a Sunday). On Monday his receptionist phoned & booked me in for Tuesday. When I arrived she informed me it would be a little while- I said I had no problem waiting. I didn't wait more than 5 minutes (and I was 10 minutes early) before Dr. Chevalier saw me waiting and invited me into his office. He reviewed my blood tests with me explaining what everything meant, took a look at my incision & assured me all was well. He was VERY pleasent and seemed genuinely concerned about my health. I'm VERY with the work Dr. Chevalier has done on my back and couldn't be happier that he was my surgeon. His receptionist Cathy was also VERY nice. I highly recommend. P.S: A little note on punctuality: he was running late for my first appointment (about a half hour) but this was because he was checking in on patients at RIH. If you're the type of person that's offended if a doctor is late for an appointment because he's been busy saving someone's life then maybe you should book yourself into a private clinic in the states. This man is very busy and does his best to ensure quality of life for his patients and sometimes juggling is required. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and the work he does.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2015

My son was in a bad MVA and transported to Royal Inland Hospital. Although Dr. Chevalier and I didn't start off on the best terms in regards to "I'm still his mother" he ultimately ended up being a very nice man. Treated my son very well, and fused my sons c-spine with amazing hands. Only 1 day post surgery, he is up and walking like a trooper... Overall, I would recommend this Dr, as his patients quality of life is his priority

flag | Submitted December 21, 2012

Dr. Chevalier has been my Neurosurgeon of choice for a number of years, and has helped me immensely with my chronic pain and back issues. He and his receptionist Cathy, have always treated me very well and are always very friendly. He has been extremely helpful in trying to figure out different procedures that may benefit me. I have the upmost respect for him, and he is an amazing surgeon. I trust him wholeheartedy to perform any procedure on my back.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2012