Ratings for Dr. Sarah Keep

I came here because of the reviews and I was mistaken. The place is nice and the doctor appears knowledgeable and professional, however I'm disappointed for a few reasons. 1-The front staff are very good except the gentleman (possibly new hire?) I don't think it's a good decision to leave him alone to answer the phones, give advice to patients or take the initial exams. I spent several hours in this office on two occasions with my child and I trying to get our prescription. He was clearly not confident in taking the proper measurements and after 45 minutes of him struggling, my patients ran out and I had to tell him twice to please get a coworker to show him how to use the machine. He has a very polite demeanor, however he has no idea what he's doing. When you pay for a medical exam somebody qualified should be doing it. 2. I was told my child needed glasses immediately. I went to go purchase glasses else where as they didn't have her size. The doctor and owner there saw her prescription and had concerns about it. He told me to hold off and referred her and I both to an ophthalmologist who specializes in children and in cases like hers. She does not need glasses or any other type of therapy. Therefore I would've unknowingly spent money and put my child in glasses at a young age unnecessarily. I feel like this might have been financially motivated. 3. With the prescription that I was given from dr Keep, I purchased glasses. I felt like I was underwater and my depth perception was way off for weeks. When I saw the ophthalmologist, we discovered that my prescription was also off and not by a little. Almost 3 full points. When compared to my contact lens prescription there was also a huge difference. I understand that there should be a little bit of a distance as glasses do not sit directly on the eye but it was way off. Because of this experience I wasted many weeks trying to hunt down glasses to fit my daughter that she didn't need. I had to return my glasses and have them re-made with the proper prescription and we both had to see an ophthalmologist to get the proper prescription. Quite the inconvenience. I will not be returning nor will I refer family or friends.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2019

Dr. Sarah Keep

Dr. Sarah Keep's response
I am sorry that you had a negative experience in our office. Thank you for your feedback on your experience with our new staff member. We ensure our staff receive significant training and are very confident and educated on the services they provide. We are still in the process of providing additional training to our newest team member and will definitely ensure that a new staff member isn't overly eager to assist patients in areas where they are not completely comfortable to do so. I sincerely apologize if you felt a recommendation that I made was financially motivated. I can assure you that this has never been the case. I consider myself to be extremely ethical and always act in the best interest of my patients. We do provide vision training in our office for patients with deficiencies with visual skills. Many patients are not aware that in order to have good vision a number of skills are required in addition to just having good eye sight. Children must also be able to use both eyes together as a team, accurately track an object, switch gaze from on object to another and be able to sustain clear focus at a particular distance. All of these skills are critical in order to efficiently gather and process visual information. If there are deficiencies in any of these areas patients can experience symptoms such as eye strain, blurry vision, double vision, headaches, loss of place when reading, avoidance of near work, or reduced reading comprehension. These symptoms can have a negative impact on a child's ability to learn efficiently. Ophthalmologist's typically will not test for these additional skills during a routine exam, and do not provide vision training for these skills. Because of this their treatment options may differ from what is suggested by an optometrist. If you would like more information on vision therapy feel free to look at the Canadian Optometrists in Vision Therapy and Rehabilitation website at www.visiontherapycanada.com. I would also be more than happy to see you again to discuss the reasoning behind my recommendations.

Submitted July 31, 2019

A wonderful clinic. They go above and beyond to make sure you are happy with your eyewear. The staff working there have a positive attitude and make the visit a pleasant one.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2019

First time seeing Dr. Keep. She was so thorough, spent a lot of time with me. She went that extra mile to resolve my issue.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2019

Very good service/staff. Best equipment, knowledgeable, intelligent. Very professional and efficient.

flag | Submitted July 12, 2019

Excellent service from excellent staff- always concerned about the patients well being

flag | Submitted July 6, 2019

Great professional team and services, well worth the long drive for me to get here.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2019

Staff and Dr. are highly knowledgeable. My kids love going.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2019

Dr. Keep is the best! Great with children! Anyways a positive experience.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2019

Delightful experience with great staff also. Happy to recommend

flag | Submitted June 27, 2019

Had a great experience, very efficient and knowledgeable!

flag | Submitted June 10, 2019

Dr. Sarah Keep's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

I studied sciences at the University of Alberta before completing my education at the Pennsylvania College of Optometry in Philadelphia. As a student I was always passionate about my career and education. I excelled in my studies, becoming the president of our Gold Key Honour Society. I have also volunteered to participate on mission trips to Central America, allowing me the opportunity to diagnose and treat many rare ocular diseases not prevalent in North America. My training in the United States provided me with experience in a variety of optometric settings including pediatrics, specialty contact lenses, laser vision correction pre- and post-operative care, as well as a large scope of eye disease and pathology. I moved back shortly after graduating in 2008 and have been practicing in west Edmonton ever since. I was born and raised around the Callingwood area so it feels like home to continue my career at Vision By Design. I have always found it to be important to be involved in my profession. I am currently on the board of the Edmonton Optometry Society, which provides many continuing education functions for Edmonton area optometrists. I feel it is very important to constantly improve our knowledge and skill set to provide patients with the highest quality care and as such I always meet and exceed the minimal required hours of education. After graduating I knew I wanted to own my own clinic so I decided to purchase the clinic in 2011. Since purchasing the clinic we worked hard to bring advanced technology, we decided to offer additional specialty services, we made sure our staff had advanced training to provide better customer service and we brought in more unique fashion forward eye wear. We decided we needed a new location and a new name that better showcased the new and improved clinic so Vision By Design was born in 2014. When I am not working I enjoy playing soccer, cooking and travelling.

• Salus University (Pennsylvania College of Optometry) * (Grad. 2008)