Ratings for Dr. Thomas C. Markham

Consultation for a total hip replacement, I found him to be arrogant, condescending, impatient and apparently didn't have the time to listen to what I was saying. No opinion on his skills as a surgeon because we never got that far. I would have no confidence in his ability to perform the needed surgery.

flag | Submitted August 31, 2018

I have been seeing Dr Markham since last fall for serious knee issues and in January I had a total knee replacement. From the consult through my surgery and recovery he has been an outstanding physician in every way. Dr Markham is caring, extremely capable, explaining everything very clearly and has a great bedside manner. I would refer him to family and friends needing orthopedic care. My results of the joint replacement are outstanding after only a few months and I feel great.

flag | Submitted April 28, 2018

After being referred to Dr. Markham from my general practitioner I waited for two hours in the waiting room to be told he was running late when I got into his office he came and was very rude to myself and my husband who is there to support me because I have been going through so many issues I have been to the emergency room and they told me they believe my sciatic nerve was crushed I have a MRI from my last doctor but I had just relocated to Virginia Beach he was rude he was nasty and he was of no help at all his actual words were you're into much pain for me to give you a real examination they then had the audacity he to bill me $300 when they did nothing he even had the nerve to ask me why was I there and I said well I don't know your office scheduled me I wouldn't send my worst enemy to this man he's a horrible person horrible doctor and his bedside manner should be flushed in the toilet

flag | Submitted July 20, 2017

I saw Dr. Markham for a work-related injury to my left knee. After a long wait in the waiting room and then another in the exam room, he came in, pushed on my knee (didn't check range of motion, etc.) and said "There may be a tear in there. We can either get an MRI or wait a couple of weeks." "Seeing you don't make millions of dollars throwing a ball, we'll wait." I went back and told my Line of Duty Injury Coordinator, she called Human Resources to report this interaction. 30 minutes later, I was being seen by another doctor. I had my MRI the next morning and surgery the following week, all with this other doctor. No, I don't make millions throwing a ball, but being a firefighter is still a profession worthy of prompt professional service.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016

Dr. Markham was great! Worked with me to keep me as functional as possible with a broken ankle at my job. Had to wait long time for each visit to see doctor (anything over 2 hours is what I consider a long time - 4 hours for first appt!). I tried multiple times to get a copy of my xrays, but given so many excuses - can only pick up at 1 office (not even in the same city as my appt. office), my initial xray was put to the wrong patient name and would get to me at next appt., couldn't give me a copy b/c it was a worker's comp claim. Still waiting for my xray copy.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2013

I have been a patient of Dr. Markham's since 1998. I had my first knee replaced at age 32 and the other one replaced at age 34 due to arthritis. Dr. Markham is truly my favorite doctor! He takes excellent care of all of his patients. He takes the time to listen and understand his patients. Even thought the ex-rays in 98 didn't seem to warrant a full knee replacement, he listened to me, and my symptoms, and discovered that my knee was MUCH worse than it looked on the ex-ray. Another doctor might have looked at the ex-ray and figured I was just a "complainer". That is what I love about Dr. Markham. He is truly the best. Joanne, his nurse, is pretty great as well!

flag | Submitted September 12, 2013

dr markham was very rude, very poor bedside manner, he told me it was like i had 5 tons of weight on my vertebrae after knowing that i struggle with anorexia, he continued to say how overweight i was and then said i didn't need surgery-he hadn't even looked at my MRI, he then insulted my other doctor

flag | Submitted July 23, 2009

Dr. Thomas C. Markham's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

• University Of North Carolina At Chapel Hill School Of Medicine (Grad. 1975)