Ratings for Dr. James Hargrave

I have always been very appreciative of Dr Hargreaves . However had a negative experience with reception when I had an extremely sore let eye. I visited my family doctor and was given some freezing drops to take away the pain until I saw an eye doctor. I visited Dr Hargreaves office for assistance and was told I would not be able to see any doctor for several days. My eye was extremely sensitive to light and very sore. I called Dr Walker, the surgeons office I had been attending since problems after cataract surgery by Another surgeon. Dr Walkers office originally could not see me but I was able to see him the next day. I HAD AN ULCER ON MY EYE.......... He prescribed medication which cleared it up after a couple of days though I was very sensitive to light. when I asked Dr Walker what I should do if this happened again he said that as Dr Hargreaves had been seeing me for years I should have been seen by him I dread going through that pain again and nowhere to go.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2016

I brought my daughter to Dr. Hargrave when she started having headaches and vision problems when reading. When we first sat down with him (a half hr after our appointment was scheduled for) and explained what was going on he looked at me and said he would take a look and see if she needed glasses or perhaps something else going on. Turns out he assumes that all girls between 8-12yrs just want glasses and are lying about vision problems. Instead of testing her for what we came in for he wasted our time testing her for distance problems just so he could ask her to leave the room to tell me she was lying and had no problems. When I questioned why she would suddenly be doing on tests and worksheets at school when it's never been an issue for her before. He admitted he had noticed that she had some loss for close up reading but he wouldn't be able to test her til the next week. I couldn't wait that long so got a second opinion else where and found that she had substantial loss for reading and even some slight distance loss, she also needs eye therapy for focusing issues. Too bad he has a preconceived idea as to what is happening with this age group of girls before they even walk in. I understand he is otherwise a good optometrist.

flag | Submitted October 4, 2014

I have been seeing Dr. Hargrave for a long time and take all five of my children and have always had great service. Our appointments are always on time and he takes time to explain what he is doing and what he finds out. I never feel rushed to get out. Even with my special needs daughter he is great with her, he know exactly how to read her and deal with her. I find the office staff very friendly, have never had a problem with any of them, always friendly.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2013

I have been seeing Dr. Hargrave for the last 23 years. He has been an awesome Dr. for me, very knowledgeable and friendly and he's fantastic with kids. The staff are very pleasant. Perhaps the people who have bad experiences with the front desk weren't too nice themselves??

flag | Submitted September 7, 2012

I've been seeing Dr. Hargrave since I was a teenager and he's always been wonderful. He's extremely kind, knowledgeable and thorough. My kids see him now and they always walk away saying "I like him mommy!". He's great!

flag | Submitted May 29, 2012

Very informative, highly recommended. Problem was taken care of immediatley.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2010

I had gone to Dr. Hargrave to have my eyes creaked in January of this year. Turned out I needed a new Prescription in which I brought the glasses from another vender. When I got the glasses I was having issues with the one eye and gave the routine week of wearing them to adjust but instead of getting better they were getting worse. I made another appoint the 2nd week to get the eye reexamine as I could not see out of wearing the glasses and was told I had to pay $40.00 over and above the initial cost of $76.00 before I can even talk with Dr. Hargrave. Outcome of a month fighting receptionists (VERY RUDE PERSON) and manager of the place I got nowhere and refused to pay extra for a mistake of a prescription on the DR. Hargraves side. I went to another Dr. for a second opinion. Outcome was the prescription was wrong as he did not see the stigmatism and the glasses needed to be changed. Talking about trusting a Dr with your eyesight! Never again! Horrible business ethics & horrible people

flag | Submitted March 5, 2010

The receptionist is the worst I have ever been too! Very rude!

flag | Submitted February 10, 2010

Should have been upgraded to tri-focals instead of having to take off and reverse glasses to read at a distance of 2 to 6 feet.

flag | Submitted July 22, 2009