Ratings for Dr. Joe H. Browder

I have been going to pain consultants ever seen 1998 and the have been wonderful .And Dr.Browder had always been the most kind person he listens when u talk to him and his staff is the same way I would never dream of see any other Doctor I think them ever day that I can do something better then I thought I would ever .I have never been treated bad or talk down to .They always ask how have u been with a smile on there face.i could say more but I think Dr.Browder kindness and is away of make u feel say a lot for him.so in closing I hope if anyone needed a great doctor to give his office a call .

flag | Submitted September 21, 2017

Dr Browder, Dr Choo and the staff are great! They are so nice and actually listen to what you have to say, instead of just trying to rush you out the door. Can't say enough good things about them:)

flag | Submitted August 11, 2017

Thanks to Dr. Browder and his great STAFF i can enjoy life again.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2017

My experience with Dr. Browder and his staff has been excellent. He has given me steroids and ablations in my spine for chronic back and leg pain. He and his surgical staff put you at ease and show the utmost compassion and professionalism. He recently did a Spinal Cord Stimulator implant. It has given me great relief from pain. I have nothing but good to say about Dr. Browder and his staff.

flag | Submitted August 1, 2017

I have known Dr. Browder for years. He is a compassionate, caring physician who listens to you and takes the time you need. Sometimes he runs late but it is because he is trying to help the patient in front of you. They have lots of laws they have to follow now. Dr. Browder is one of the good guys.

flag | Submitted July 24, 2017

Never will I ever go back to this house of horrors! Never got to see Dr. Browder. His staff love to call you a liar. I will say though there are a few nice NP's and they are great, but the rest are mean and nasty, wouldn't know what manners and respect are if they fell over them! They have totally no compassion for any one. I completely agree with one reviewer, Jamie is a monster and that's being nice! She will blatantly and loudly call you a liar, she also runs the office and throws Dr. Browder's name around so much, you would swear there's something going on! In other words she's got to be worlds biggest suck up. You get no where with her even in an emergency. She refuses to get prescriptions cleared by the Dr., says you don't need it. Stand up to her and she dismisses you, report her for her disrespect and nasty vulgar mouth, she gets even! She really must have a horrible home life, plus she's just so so busy taking selfies ! She has worlds highest opinion of herself as do a few of the others in that office! Even the woman at the front desk is a nightmare! The wait is unreal. Then you are only allowed 10 minutes for your appointment. If your insurance doesn't cover what they want you to have, they get rid of you. It's all about money, that's why they drug screen so often, even though it's not necessary. These employees really need some sort of Sensitivity Training because they have no feelings, it's as if this office goes for the Sociopath types. Never stand up to any of them or your dismissed no matter if they are totally wrong, the nurses will make a huge fuss about it and you are gone. Never ever have I been treated so deplorably by so many who are supposed to help you. They never wean you if of any medications, they just change them on you with no notice and if you have withdrawal, to bad! They will tell you that you wouldn't have it if you were taking your medication correctly, then they tell you that you are abusing the medication, that is Jamie will call you and tell you that you are and she makes the rules! I do agree with the other reviewer...she will be sorry because Karma will be there! If these people were just respectful it wouldn't be so bad, but just knowing that each and every month that you must go there, you are going to be berated, maligned, insulted, and treated as if you were a misbehaving child! This type if treatment is worse to put up with than the pain! I'm just being honest here and stating my personal opinion of this place that I was a patient for several years. It's not a personal attack on any one. It's how I witnessed it and why I left! So if you are so desperate for pain medication that you will take what they dish out....good for you! I'll give you a hint...it's mostly the women, which I will not call ladies, cause they aren't, that are the nasty ones! I think their problem is that they aren't right for this high stress job, but more than likely this is all the types they could get to work there! The Dr. must have no idea of what is going on in that office. It's a case of the Tail Wagging the Dog! The Dr. may be a very nice person and a great Dr, but I never had a chance to find out! I even asked if I could see him and was denied and told he only see patients if they are having injections, which was suggested to me and I was all for it I wanted to see him first, not luck. Do yourself a favor, save your sanity and find another place for your pain management. I lucked out, I moved out of state and actually now have a place that really cares and treats you with dignity and respect and so far, has no Jamie type working for her.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2017

Doctor browder is a great gentleman and pain specialist however his PA,'s and NP's are often something different. I have been with this practice for many years and I have witnessed them grow by leaps and bounds. However I have also closely observed their level of compassion plummet drastically. They forget that people in pain are human beings and deserve to be talked to as such. Many times they forget to call in your medicine to the pharmacy and when you call they will declare up and down that they did call it in and treat you as if you are stupid or trying to do something wrong. It takes days for them to finally decide they were wrong but never an apology. They have called and yelled and basically called me a liar. But what recourse do you have. They have too much power. They know they can mistreat you and you have to lump it or like it because they hold your pain medicine. If you left there there is no guarantee that another pain clinic would accept you if you left I would like for some of them to live in constant pain day after day. Doctor browder does but his staff need to understand pain other than what they have learned from a book. Jamie is a monster if they ever send her out to you. She must eat nails for breakfast. She will get hers one day.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2017

I have been a pain patient for over 25 years now. After reading the comments about PCET I was dismayed. Not with PCET, but with many of the comments themselves. I was a patient when there were no PCET's ANYWHERE in ANY state. Imagine being in agony and no where to go. And I'm talking real agony that consumes your every movement, moment, and thought. You consider suicide because you can do nothing more to claim back a life you once had. I remember those early years of drug trials, mental health, orthopedics, neurology, physical medicine an more as an inpatient at a military hospital and the time it took away from my family. It took 3 years to come up with the appropriate medications. It took 18 months to learn bio-feedback to the point where it made a difference, which I use to this day. Multiple test and over 40 surgeries. I still endure both to this day because I am not only in constant pain, but am chronically ill. I am so very grateful for the PCET team. Yes, sometimes the staff is short, they have bad days with ill patients. But there are those who have jepordized my care and well-being, and all of us who truly need care, for their own addictions/purpose. The state of TN have put a very stringent process in place for the right reasons but with the wrong attitude. We are not all addicts and we are being treated that way by policy. If you are really unhappy about any pain management issues here in Tennessee, ask questions and find out how you can make a difference not only in your own life but maybe in the lives of a lot of patients who feel their voice isn't heard because of the deaths of so many who overdosed either accidently or because they had a problem with medication/addiction. Not all of us should be treated in the same fashion. What worked in the care of a patient shouldn't be mistreated and dismissed by a policy that now treats everyone exactly the same and, uses a (What I believe is) misguided equation for medication control. Your doctor is no longer your doctor to a degree in Tennessee. He is held now by a law that the Health Department in Tennessee has put into place to try and save lives. There is only one problem with that concept. We are not all the same... As for PCET, I am sincerely grateful to have a place to go which continues to help me have a life to live. Thank you Doctor Browder and staff!!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted December 26, 2016

I have been a patient at PCET. I have never showed up short on my pain prescriptions, never had a problem with a drug screen. Most recently there was a problem with the drug screen, which I knew would be done, and have no knowledge of where to get such a drug. I was discharged for narcotic pain relief. I did appeal the decision as the medication that showed up can show a false positive. I wasn't called back for a retest on that same day or given any chance for a retest or blood work for a more accurate test. I have ask to have meds reduced and ask to be taken off Klonopin due to a fhorrendous and they offer no assistance. However my primary care physician is helping me with the withdrawal of Klonopin as it takes at least 6 months to a year. Otherwise, I would have had the same reaction as my friend. I didn't want to be put back on the narcotics but my character has been assassinated by PCET has been assassinated by by PCET and my life put in jeopardy. Dr . Brower's staff (as patients rarely see him) has helped my chronic pain for 14 years. I don't doubt their knowledge if pain control but they know nothing about withdrawing a patient from medications provided by them. They need further education as to withdrawing such strong medications. They out my life in jeopardy by their lack of knowledge. To remove a patient that has asked to be taken off meds has no right to a safe withdrawal. Their "disciplinary board," makes the "firm" decision at which point you are on your own. You are not allowed to ever mention the situation again to any of the staff. As a patient of 14 years. They would not admit to an error in testing , which can happen, I was "disciplined" and it was over. They will allow me to continue to be their patient but I must have any treatment they tell me to and it must be at their facility. I would never return to PCET as a patient or any other reason as they are not fully trained in pain management, or will admit to an error in their office. No one is perfect and they need to admit it. As I said, I wanted to come off the meds, but not in ICU on a ventilator. I fully researched the withdrawal side effects and expressed my concern, didn't ask to be put back on meds permanently, just to be taken off properly.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2016

Dr. Joe H. Browder

Dr. Joe H. Browder's response
Our physicians and clinical staff strive to protect the physical and psychological health of each of our patients. It is this attention to detail that makes Pain Consultants of East Tennessee an American Pain Society Center of Excellence. In cases that warrant a patient be removed from a specific course of medication, we provide patients with indicated tapering medications over the appropriate time and encourage psychiatric assistance to ensure a safe withdrawal process both physically and mentally.

Submitted October 11, 2016

The wonderful thing about Dr. Browser is that he experiences chronic pain himself, so I feel much empathy from him in his treatment of me. My experience with him (excellent) and the PCET has been wonderful in that my quality of life is better. I believe his philosophy in the treatment is pain, at least from my perspective, is to treat me with as little medication as necessary, but enough (along with other treatment modalities) to improve the quality and function of my life, which he has done.

flag | Submitted July 18, 2016

Dr. Joe H. Browder's Credentials

Joe H. Browder, MD is the senior partner at Pain Consultants of East Tennessee. He has practiced pain medicine since the early 1990s, and founded PCET in 1998. He is triple board-certified in pain medicine (as a Diplomate of the American Board of Anesthesiology with Added Qualifications in Pain Medicine, a Diplomate and Fellow of the American Board of Pain Medicine, and a Diplomate of the American Board of Interventional Pain Physicians). He is also a Fellow of Interventional Pain Practice from the World Institute of Pain. Dr. Browder is a Roane county native. His formal education includes a bachelor's degree from the University of Notre Dame. He received his Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis. His anesthesia residency was completed at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital-Philadelphia. He has also earned a Master of Business Administration from the University of Tennessee. Besides his clinical practice, Dr. Browder is also active in working with the Tennessee Medical Association and other medical and governmental agencies to ensure that pain management services in Tennessee are offered by providers with appropriate training and experience, with patients’ well-being as the highest priority. He has been instrumental in the passage of the “Pill Mill Bill” to help reduce problems with prescription medication misuse, abuse and diversion, and met many times with state legislators to try to ensure that all providers performing spinal pain injections are properly trained and qualified. He continues to work with the Tennessee Medical Association, the Tennessee Pain Society and the Governor's Task Force to ensure that patients have access to appropriate pain treatment. Personally, Dr. Browder has been married for over 30 years and has three grown children. He is a long-term member of Sacred Heart Catholic Church, and is a board member of the local Boy Scouts of America. Dr. Browder has chronic pain issues himself. In 2010, he had a lumbar spinal fusion and has undergone replacement of both knees (including one replacement of a previous replacement). Because of his own experiences with chronic pain, Dr. Browder has a special understanding of the challenges and life alterations that patients undergo when dealing with chronic pain. The practice at Pain Consultants reflects his empathy to the chronic pain sufferer. Dr Browder has been voted a "Top Doc" in 2011, 2012, and 2013 for Pain Management by local area physicians. The honor is published in Cityview Magazine.

• University Of Tennessee College Of Medicine (Grad. 1982)

• CityView Magazine "Top Docs" 2011, 2012, 2013