Ratings for Dr. Francis Sutherland

This surgeon cannot communicate. He is dismissive of my concerns. No empathy at all. He thinks that he is always right and other doctors are wrong. Without even trying to explain my condition or treatment plan to me, he is already half way out the freaking door!! This is just not acceptable to me.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2018

After inquiring about the lawsuits regarding mesh implant recalls I got the report from the first day I met Dr Sutherland. He lied about my condition to justify doing an unnecessary surgery. He said I was in pain and it affected my ability to do my job and ski. REALLY, I had a seasons pass at Sunshine Village and a physically demanding job. I ski downhill and telemark and I never took anytime off work before the surgery. If he thought I was in pain why did he not tell me to stop working?

flag | Submitted January 8, 2018

This doctor is not helpful because he is not knowledgeable but not many people are capable to make this judgement.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2017

I've had three minor surgical procedures performed by Dr. Sutherland. He has always been friendly, professional and thorough.

flag | Submitted July 27, 2016

I had a sports related inguinal hernia with no syptoms. I should not have had surgery. He provided no informed consent regarding the open surgery and laproscopic. Then he put a three cm long plug inside me without telling me. I got injured at work. He then showed no concern for the pain that I was in and told me give it time. That was over 4 years ago. If I had the money I would go to the states and have a HERNIA SPECIALIST remove it. He is just a general surgeon who gets good reviews IF NOTHING goes wrong. I plan to move back to Calgary and go public until he sues me for liable. I will not stop telling people that he has no empathy and is very incompetent.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

I have heard that Dr Sutherland is an excellent surgeon. Our experience with him was that his communication and empathy skills are lacking. My late mother had learned that she had pancreatic cancer and was referred to him. He told us brusquely that there was nothing he could do and was about to leave the room when I asked him about some research I had done on the internet about her condition. This made him quite defensive and testy. He seemed to have little empathy for the fact that my mum had been given a death sentence and did not explain his diagnosis or give us any context. He was very touchy about my questions, which were not in any way casting aspersions on his competence. Frustrated, we requested a referral to Dr Elijah Dixon, who offered the same diagnosis, but delivered with much more detail, care, patience and compassion. The contrast between the two was stark.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2015

Him and the nurse had excellent bedside manners. They were fantastic and took great care of me

flag | Submitted February 11, 2015

Dr. Sutherland was fantastic. In my opinion he has a great bedside manner and answered all of my questions. I would definitely recommend this doctor; I think there should be more of him around the hospitals and clinics :)

flag | Submitted April 30, 2014

I suffered a horrible injury during a routine surgery in another province. It nearly cost me my life and it has cost me my "normal" life. I suffered for a long time while Dr's in the other province tried to figure out how to keep me alive. The one caring Dr I had there researched Dr's who were capable of saving my life. Dr. Sutherland came highly recommended. After suffering such an injury in the hands of another Dr I was very untrusting of any medical professional. Everytime I became seriously ill he made sure I was well taken care of and sat with my husband and I and explained everything. No matter how far behind he was he made sure I was comfortable and I was able to trust him to redo the surgery that nearly killed me to save my life. It took me over a year to be able to do this and he was there for my family and I through it all and is still taking care of me. It was the best decision I ever made. He saved my life and I would highly recommend him. He is very good at what he does.

flag | Submitted October 3, 2013

He is precise succinct and to the point. He is a genius and knows his stuff. He is extremely in demand and therefor insanely busy. I don't mind waiting for him and would chose him again in a heartbeat. If you wan't touchy feely you won't get it from him. If you have a question, he will answer it. But it might be a very short answer without much detail. He won't waste your time or his by speculating. I would recommend him to anyone with a pancreas issue.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2013