Ratings for Dr. Duncan Q. McBride

Saw Dr McBride as a recommendation from his Parter Dr Fish. He entered the exam room with his Physicians assistant and proceeded to spend the entire exam staring into his phone while his assistant looked at, and explained to me, the results from my MRI! There wasn't a single moment in the entire consultation where I felt that he was showing any concern for my current medical condition, nor did he offer any solution(My L4/L5 are both herniated with a piece of disc material that has been severed affecting the nerve root of my sciatica) He said that he could operate or that maybe I just wait it out for a few years and se if it resolves on it's own. I asked him about details on the operation, and he just mumbled softly, while staring at his phone, the entire time! I felt like I was going crazy and want to report him!

flag | Submitted March 27, 2016

Dr. McBride has been a Godsend! I have been suffering for over 40 years. I had shrunk over 4" in height. I was now in a wheelchair unable to stand or walk any length of time and had balance issues. Retirement looked bleak and of all the neurosurgeons I'd seen, not a one gave me a sense of security or a good outcome. no one had even noticed my broken back. I had spinal cord involvement, spondylothosis at L-5, S-1. Ruptured disks, simply a mess that no Dr could give me hope. I was afraid that I would be a cripple and in pain forever. He not only was a wonderful and caring surgeon, he took care and explained everything. Was kind and took his time. Just like the rating submitted on Dec 19, 2015, that is the Dr McBride I had! I am 6 weeks post op. After years in bed, I can walk. I am taking each day one at a time. I have a new life and am so grateful for Dr. McBride. He did a different approach than all the other neurosurgeons wanted to do which would have been a 12 hour surgery. Mine was done in 4 hours. Rods, blots, grafts etc. At 67, I was not looking forward to the front and back approach or so much time under anesthesia he, the hospital and staff were fantastic. I was never uncomfortable. I had already had 4 neck surgeries done by others. I ha e more back of the neck pain than I did before having it.. All a prerequisite to this back surgery. This surgery is like a piece of cake in comparison. The pain is minimal compared to what I had going in. You can mess up a back surgery if you don't follow the rules. No bending, lifting or twisting. Trying to do too much can mess up what the Dr had done. I recommending him for anyone with back problems. Sounds like i should of had my neck surgery done here, but his is 2 hours away. Yes, it was worth the distance to have him do this even tho I live in an area of great hospitals and medical centers.. I am taking my time and not going to overdo a thing or BLT....bend, lift or twist. Follow Dr's orders. He is a wonderful and skilled Dr!

flag | Submitted March 15, 2016

Dr McBride performed surgery on my neck and is a godsend. I suffered with daily severe neck and shoulder pain for 2 years. 9 weeks after surgery I am pain free and on a rapid road to full recovery. A friend, who also had spine surgery performed by Dr. McBride, recommended him and I am RECOMMENDING him to anyone with a spinal or neck problem. He explained things in words I could understand, listened, collaborated with me on a treatment plan and of course, he is an EXCELLENT surgeon. Before and after my surgery, Dr McBride showed me my MRI and XRay images, allowing me to use my phone to take a picture of the images for my personal records. He was honest, communicative and hid nothing from me. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2015

Dr. McBride knew that my spine fusion surgery had failed three weeks after the operation. But he, nor anyone else at UCLA ever told me. I had to find out by going to another doctor. Dr. McBride saw the MRI images that were taken three weeks after the operation. Those images show my spine completely distorted and in far worse condition than before the operation. I tried to get those MRI images when I lost faith in Dr. McBride and wanted to consult other doctors. UCLA told me that those images didn't exist and they did not provide them. I did finally get the images but it took numerous letters and phone calls to both the hospital and the doctor's office. You can imagine my anger when I saw what Dr. McBride saw and never discussed with me. You can read my full story at http://UCLAPatientCare.com. The things I went through will blow your mind!

flag | Submitted November 6, 2015

It was refreshing to feel I was in competent hands with Dr. McBride. He is an expert in his field amd very accomplished. He did my back surgery and I have been pain free for nearly two years. He also did my friend's surgery. Would refer him highly

flag | Submitted August 29, 2015

I went to Dr. McBride because of his reputation for excellence as a surgeon. When I made the appointment, I could not have cared less about his bedside manner because I’d had enough of bad bedside from other so-called specialists who told me to “tough it out” and/or to “wait another year and see if it fixes itself.” I was happily surprised to find that Dr. McBride and his staff are outstanding! They were running approximately 20 minutes late on the first visit, and were on time on subsequent visits. Dr. McBride reviewed my case before he came into the exam room. We discussed my case and he listened to my description of all of my symptoms (not just the pain), answered all of my questions and we discussed my treatment options. None of this was rushed in any way – in fact, before he left the room, he asked again if I had any more questions. I didn’t. He was polite, attentive, and did not pressure me to have surgery – it was my decision, and it was a good one. He asked me to call if I had any additional questions. I felt that I could trust him, and I felt that he cared genuinely about me and my spine health. On the day of the surgery, everything went smoothly. I took the paperwork they’d asked for and they had their paperwork ready. The staff at UCLA was great and treated me like I was their only patient. I’d never been treated so well! Dr. McBride came to see me prior to the surgery, in recovery after the surgery and again in the hospital room. Each time, he was courteous and caring and made sure I was comfortable and had no more questions. I woke in post-op with no nerve pain. Only eight days after the surgery I was out and about, feeling better than I had in months. I cannot imagine better care. Everyone in Dr. McBride’s office and at the hospital treated me extremely well. I have no problem recommending Dr. McBride to anyone.

Submitted April 13, 2015

Dr. Mcbride is a complete hack. He done my spine surgery and I had to have it redone with another spine surgeon. I was in miserable pain after his surgery, way worse than before surgery. If it wasn't for another qualified spine surgeon I would have been wheelchair bound for life. Be careful going to this doctor. Needs to seek help for his drinking. My surgeon said that he has left a mess inside my spine and took him hours to fix. Don't be fooled with the Ivory Tower that Dr. McBride hides behind. UCLA or not. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

flag | Submitted March 17, 2015

CONCEDED, ARROGANT, KNOW IT ALL!!! Dr. Mcbride has a huge complex. He thinks that he is better than anyone. He doesn't listen to your concerns and pain. He thinks he is Mr. Know It ALL and loves to bash other doctors and surgeon. He told me straight out that my doctor who did my neck surgery was scum (even though I wasn't there for my neck, which I have done amazingly well and have absolutely no pain). I was sent to him by my attorney for my low back when I was in a car accident. I didn't like Dr. Mcbride's approach nor his charlatan demeanor. I think both him and my attorney are scumbags and in it for the money. Insurance companies need to investigate these sort of PI doctors. Do yourself a favor and avoid this doctor.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2015

Dr. McBride told me everything that I wanted to hear before surgery and promised that the operation would include a vital piece of hardware to replace the disk that was removed. I was in terrible pain just a couple of months after surgery and I completely lost confidence in Dr. McBride. I started asking family and friends for a referral to a doctor that they trust and I finally got a referral several months later. I discovered from the new doctor that McBride never installed the surgical device that he said would be part of the operation. I tried to find out why, and also to get answers to some other questions I had about my surgery but the hospital, UCLA said they don't owe me even answers. I requested all of my records and it took the hospital about two years to get around to providing the records. I had to call and write multiple times to get my records. I would recommend that people NOT have any operation conducted by McBride or at UCLA hospital. Even though they often have good outcomes, if you end up with a bad outcome you are tossed away with no sympathy whatsoever. It is criminal how they have conducted themselves and my health has been ruined.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2015

I went to see Dr Mcbride because he's one of very few neurosurgeons that accepts the Covered California insurance plan. I was examined by a fellow doctor from Canada who was a very nice doctor. I waited in the examining for about an hour before Dr Mcbride came in. He personally didn't physically examine me at all. He looked at my MRI and said I have a surgery for you. Sparing all the details I personally found Dr Mcbride's attitude and arrogance to be very unprofessional. I got the feeling as though I was dealing with a used car salesman. As hard as I tried, just couldn't bring myself to trust him. In the end I'm very happy I listened to my intuition. It's critical to trust your surgeon.

Submitted December 12, 2014

Dr. Duncan Q. McBride's Credentials

• Northwestern University Medical School (Grad. 1981)

AARP