Ratings for Dr. Bernard M. Gburek

Dr Gburek himself is nice but his time management skills are severely lacking. And his office staff is AWFUL! They're rude, condescending and make you feel like you're such a bother to them. The first time I went to the office I waited over an hour before I was called back. Once I was called back they said, you got an xray right? NO! Nobody told me to go downstairs to get an xray first. Not when they called to confirm my appointment and not when I checked in. So I had to wait another 40 minutes down stairs to get an xray. Came back upstairs, waited 10 minutes to get called back and another 30 minutes in the exam room!! I decided to give them another chance and the second experience was just as awful except this time they didn't even call me to confirm my appointment. I called THEM the morning of to confirm. And I asked THEM if I needed an xray. They said yes but didn't suggest making an appointment or give me any help as to what timeline to expect. I went an hour early thinking that would be enough time for an x ray and they said it would be 90 minutes. What choice did I have but to wait? Luckily it was only an hour and I barely made it upstairs for my appointment. Where I waited, and waited and waited. Another lady finally read them the riot act and just left. And after 45 minutes I couldn't take it any more and I also just left. Seriously just awful. Go to a different office. You'll be glad.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2016

I was told to get tests to determine the cause of my kidney stone and I would be called with dietary and other recommendations. Go the tests. Called the office for 5 weeks. No one would ever call back to give me any information advice. Stay far far away from this practice if you value integrity and customer service. Go see them if you want useless office visits and multiple testswith no benefits to you.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2015

I saw Dr. Gburek a few years ago for a large kidney stone. It was determined that due to its lococation, I could wait on surgery. Fast forward... July 2014 I had an appointment to see Dr. Gburek because of lab work indicating substancial blood in my urine, as well as feeling rather ill. He was not there for the appointment and I saw his PA. She was very nice, but absolutely not the person I needed to talk with regarding surgery! I could not get Dr. Gburek to call me and his staff was beyond rude. I have NEVER dealt with anyone in a medical office as rude as 2 of the people I spoke with, one of which was supposedly the office assistant manager. I also needed an estimate with the procedure codes so I could give it to my insurance company to see what out of pocket charges I would be looking at. This RUDE gal told me I would have to make an appointment to see the doctor and the doctor would have me get information on charges from the scheduler. I asked whether I would have to pay for another office visit since I just paid for one (when he was a no show) and all I needed was an estimate on the surgery fees. She got VERY RUDE and said in a condescending voice,"So, you want to come see the doctor for free"? I told her no, I had already paid for an office visit, but he didn't show up and the visit was to discuss the surgery. Her response was that I could always go find another doctor! The second lady I spoke with told me the same thing, except she added that they had no idea about billling charges because there was a separate office for billing (not on site). This was not what lady #1 told me... Anyway, Dr. Guberek might be a nice man and perhaps he is a good doctor, but cannot respect anyone who hides behind his staff and doesn't show up to an appointment. OH...let me add this, November 2012 I had an unrelated kidney stone at 11:20 PM one evening. Dr. Guberek told me when I had seen him before about the large stone that if I ever had an issue, day or night to immediately call him. I called, as I was in extreme pain. Some doctor calls me back and said I could just tough it out at home or go to the ER. Hello? I have an unpassable kidney stone measuring over 1.5 CM! I went to the ER, got home around 5 AM and left a message with his service as to what happened and NO ONE EVER CALLED ME!!! I am looking for a different doctor...he can take his top doc rating and file it away in his bogus award file.

flag | Submitted April 6, 2015

I actually liked Dr. Gburek very much. He was kind and listened well. His staff was absolutely awful, more suited for prison work than a medical office. No smiles, not friendly, very impersonal. Their office system is set up in a way that makes it impossible to get a hold of him. Everything has to go thru his medical assistant Sara - she says she will call back , then doesn't. She started prepping me for a procedure without explaining anything then accused me of not cooperating.! With a staff as terrible as his, I have to question his judgement.

flag | Submitted April 1, 2015

If you want just a physicians assistant go to Dr Gburek. If you want a doctor go elsewhere. This Dr will not communicate with the patient even after specific requests to speak with him vs. the PA to discuss actual surgery. I never, in my 3 weeks of dealing with this group, got to see/talk/discuss/communicate with the Dr. When I called and requested for him to contact me he had the office assistant call me instead, and never followed up from that call. Never, under any circumstances, leave a voice mail for the PA and expect a return call. And when you do finally get in touch with her by YOU making another call, be prepared to be treated as a malcontent that is taking up her precious time, and you really don't need to know the type of surgery you are about to receive. My first ever rating of a doctor, but after my experience there it is imprtant for others to have information and make an informed decision. My recommendation is skip them and head to a real doctors office.

flag | Submitted November 20, 2014

Dr. Gburek is a very knowledgeable and caring doctor. I would recommend him to anyone who needs a urologist. He performed a major surgery on me and came into my hospital room every morning to check on me. Always in a good mood and very easy to talk to. Just an awesome doctor!!!

flag | Submitted August 1, 2014

I love Dr Gburek. He is a great communicator, extremely knowledgeable, and a great listener. I see many doctors for my multitude of medical problems and Dr. Gburek is my favorite!!

flag | Submitted January 1, 2012

While Dr. Gburek was a fine communicator pre surgery I was seen by him and given the bums rush with my initial post surgery visit. Getting info on the details of my outcome including the very important pathology report were a challenge. I called the office 4 times before someone returned my call most recently. You will also pay extra as the anesthesia Dr. he works with exclusively is a cash only Dr to the tune of 2K out of pocket. This was not communicated pre surgery. A nice man and decent surgeon, get ALL info up front pre surgery because you will get little communication post surgery.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2011

I went to him because of a referral. I'm sure he is a good surgeon, but is a poor communicator. He gave me a prostrate biopsy without any pain killer! Ouch!!!!! I almost turned around & decked him as a pain impulse! And I've never decked anybody in my life! Neither he nor his staff mentioned the INTENSE pain involved. They did not offer any pain killer during the workup or previous visit. Just lay down, pull your knees up & wham! In talking with other guys that have had the procedure and other doctors that do the procedure, I found that this was uncalled for. Procedure calls for pain meds to be given if not done while knocked out. If you are getting a procedure done find out about pain management beforehand, don't assume as I did.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2009

Dr. Gburek may be the best doctor I have ever had. Not only is he brilliant, but he is caring, friendly, and he listens to every concern. He takes his time with me, which I can't say about most other doctors. He is such a lovely human being--I wish that all of my doctors could be like him. I simply cannot say enough good things about him.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2009

Dr. Bernard M. Gburek's Credentials

• University Of Chicago, Pritzker School Of Medicine (Grad. 1992)