Ratings for Dr. Dennis Shum

If you have (or think you have) ADHD, save your self the money and see someone else who will actually listen to you. Dr Shum was incredibly frustrating - and as other patients here have said - charges you to sit and talk at you. He should just write a book about AHDH coping methods, hand it to you when you walk in, take your $$$ and save everyone a bunch of time. The benefit to seeing someone is being able to have a conversation - a thing that he will blatantly stifle if he wants to keep talking about a thing that doesn't apply to you. I had the same as a patient below - he wanted to tell me how to organise my life, despite me saying that I'm not interested in that (because I'm currently reading about those coping mechanisms), and asked me to not ask him questions. What kind of 'care' is that? Ridiculous, frustrating, and I can get better value elsewhere. I just wish I'd known before.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2018

So glad I found Dr Shum, he has been my lifesaver, staff are very helpful too

flag | Submitted February 26, 2018

Dennis doesn't always make you feel particularly listened to - he'll go on these long and excessively detailed explanations of things without listening to see if it's really the information that you need or that you're asking for. This can be frustrating, though I think it's a style that's possibly more irritating for those who suffer from ADHD - so there's the rub. But in saying that, Dennis is really knowledgable about ADHD and coping strategies, and on a whole I found his coaching really useful when I saw him a few years back. I found the admin staff don't offer particularly welcoming customer service, often felt like I was intruding and they would feel quite brusque and impatient whenever I called or asked questions.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2017

Absolute cowboy without compassion or awareness of human suffering. He treated my late husband for depression. Sadly Shums 'whim' was to break my husbands depression with massive amounts of medication which the chemist often questioned. Shum was cold when I saw him after my husband suicided under his "care" Is Shum even qualified? Is he a racist who doesn't like Australians? I suspect so. Another review mentioned hes a scam. Do you're own research and please avoid this man if you value you're life. He hands out dexamphetamines like lollies. Shum is smug, cold, and calculating. An irresponsible, inadequate doctor. He gives patronizing answers to questions and ignores deep issues by dismissing them as bigotry. My husband might still be alive if he had been under the care of a responsible practioner.

flag | Submitted June 28, 2017

Initially helpful , BUT keep spending 260 dollars a session to hear him answer a question for half hour that required a 30 second answer. He seems to love your money, doesn't listen well. has helped with prescription and has good knowledge of ADD.

flag | Submitted October 8, 2016

I'm still alive today because of DR SHUM. Took a few years to build trust and rapport, but now knows the intricacies of my condition, as everyone is unique. May not be suited to everyone, but time invested with Dennis is an investment in receiving more effective long term treatment. His knowledge and understanding of Adult ADHD is excellent though sometimes the Major Depressive Disorder I suffer from is possibly a bit outside his area of expertise, so seeking suplimentary assistance may proove useful. For sufferers like me, keep fighting, be persistent, explain any communication problems, don't give up, as the field of study of Adult ADHD is still growing, and if we can hang in there, better treatments may arise, and things will get better. The fact I'm still alive means I give 5 stars without hesitation.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2016

I feel he is a running a scam. $400 per 1 hour appointment. I am being treated for adult ADHD. My first appointment he was half an hour late and did not apologise or charge me a reduced rate. He has never asked me exactly what it is I need help with and he spends the session talking at me. He has got me over a barrel as I need a proscription and he knows this. As someone to talk to help with problems he is not helpful at all.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2015

Dr Shum definitely knows his stuff regarding ADHD - he's very knowledgeable. Unfortunately, he would rather sit there and charge you $250 to hear him talk and say things that don't require a whole hour. For example, he took an hour (and my $250 dollars) to tell me I should take zinc, omega-3 and vitamin supplements. Also, often he spends most of his time speaking at me - but not listening to my situation and tailoring his information to my needs. Once he spent 15 minutes talking about the necessity of having a bag to keep things in, and how it must have multiple pockets, and how I should always put it in the same place. The information was maybe helpful to some people, but not for me, and when I said to him that I don't really have problems in that area, he insisted on continuing. It often feels like he has his schtick and his spiel and that he says the same thing to everyone who comes in, without bothering to listen and try to apply that info more intelligently, effectively, and efficiently to my needs. Which is all good for him... He gets a stack of money each session! Meanwhile, I have to decide if it's worth $250 for the next session for him to tell me how to organise my desk.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2015

After spending the majority of my life feeling different, but not knowing why or how, Dr Shum diagnosed me with ADD. Something that should have been diagnosed a long time ago if I look through my school reports. He does have a tendency to ramble about things I just wanted to mention in passing, but is otherwise very patient with me interrupting him all the time, being late and a general anxious wreck. He has helped me from failing uni by not only helping the uni understand, but also helping me learn my triggers and how to intervene and take a step back before my brain shuts down from too much stress/anxiety/information overload. He's also very knowledgeable about other areas of health, including tension headaches, sleep and even phone apps and other technology to help an ADD brain calm down and stay organised.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2015

I have been treated for ADHD by dr shum for a good part of ten years now, I have found dr shum to be very patient ,emperthetic, and understanding. At the start of I was all over the place a train wreck ,any other doctor would have put me in the to hard basket , Its good to have a doctor who listens provides good advice and interacts with you like a human.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2014