Ratings for Dr. David Chen

I had only one appointment with Dr. Chen to date. He is very personable and explains options in detail. I am impressed with his abilities and approach to prostate cancer. I previously went to Penn for 17 years and really enjoyed the promptness and efficiency of Dr. Chen and his office compared to my experience at Penn.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2017

After being diagnosed with prostate cancer, and having it treated with HIFU based on the recommendation of my previous urologist, only to discover that the cancer had spread aggressively, I turned to Dr. David Chen, affiliated with Fox Chase Cancer Center. in Philadelphia. He took to the time to explain all my options and helped me understand why the previous treatment failed. He performed minimally invasive, nerve-sparing laparoscopic surgery to remove the prostate. Recovery was rapid and return to full continence within 2 weeks. My PSA has remained below 0.1 for six months and I feel great. I trust this man with my life!

flag | Submitted July 8, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Chen since Feb. of 2015. I was referred to him by my family physician because my PSA was high. Dr. Chen had me wait 2months and have another PSA. It had risen to 10.2. He called me personally and scheduled a biopsy that same week. My Gleason score was 9. We talked about my options and I decide on a robotic radical prostatectomy. Dr. Chen did the surgery. It will be 2 years this coming June since my surgery and I am doing great. I would highly recommend Dr. Chen to anyone.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Chen since March 2015 and he came highly recommended. He saw me immediately for an evaluation of a prostate cancer biopsy. He took the time to explain my situation and the options I had before me. We decided on a path of active surviellance with PSA testing every three months. Around September 2016 my PSA went up and again in December. In January 2017 he scheduled another more detailed biopsy and the results indicated it was time to make a decision for further treatment. Based on all we discussed and the results of the biopsy we decided on robotic radical prostatectomy. It was performed 2nd week in February. He explained the entire process of the operation the recovery process and my and his expectations post surgery. Its been seven weeks since surgery and I am at the point where I can do what I was doing prior to surgery. I am back at the gym 5 times a week and feel great. Incontinence is not an issue and I could not be happier. He is an excellent oncologist/urologist/surgeon and I would highly recommend him. I am grateful for everything he has done for me.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2017

I have been a patient of Dr. Chen's since 2015, when he operated on me for prostate cancer. Dr. Chen has been very involved in my care, encourages your questions and answers them in a professional and caring manner. He maintains an open dialogue - I have been able to call Dr. Chen and ask questions during my recovery and have found him to be most patient and available. During my post surgery visits, Dr. Chen continues to be open, frank and provides options to any topic discussed and I have never felt rushed during office visits.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2017

In September 2013, I was diagnosed with kidney cancer. The report and image tell me:" 4.8 x 4.6 x 4.9 cm left renal mass is suspicious for malignancy. There may be neoplastic invasion." My oncologist provided me two surgeons and I choosed Dr. David Chen because based on name, I guessed he might understand and speak in Chinese and it would be better for our communication. Later I knew that Dr. Chen's family came from Taiwan, but he is "banana" and can't speak in Chinese. But my decision was correct. I was lucky to choose a very good doctor. Surgery was scheduled immediately and very successful! Dr. Chen told wife that although the cancer size was big but not spreaded. No further treatment needed. During the past more than three years, I met Dr. Chen several times for reguarler check. I found he is very knowledgeable and knows my case well. Every advise he provided has been through his deep research and consideration and avoided giving his patient any over-treatment. So far I didn't do chemotherapy and another treatments . He believes that it was unnecessary. Last year I experienced most hardship in my life. My loved wife died of colonic cancer. Recent CT report shows my lung has some nodules that are suspicious to be inflammation or neoplastic spread. After his careful check and compared with my previous records, Dr, Chen showed me on his computer screen explaining the different images of inflammation and neoplasm. He told me don't worry about it because it not seems cancer metastatic disease. I really appreciate Dr. Chen's effort, knowledge and skills. No doubt, I would strongly recommend my friends who have similar disease in urological system.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2017

In 2013 I was diagnosed with Prostate cancer by my doctor at Lehigh Valley hospital. I was a Gleason 6 so I opted to do Active Surveillance where I would regularly check my PSA and have MRIs and biopsies. After a few years my doctor informed me that I was a Gleason 7 and recommended surgery. I searched for a second opinion and did some research and decided on Dr Chen. It was the best decision I could have made. He reviewed my biopsy and disagreed with my doctors assssment and retested my biopsy slides. He felt I was still a Gleason 6 and recommended I remain on Active Surveillance. I still do blood work regularly to check PSA...and my cancer has shown no change. Dr Chen does not do unnecessary tests or invasive biopsies that are not needed. He is knowledgeable....very like able ...and really takes time to answer your questions. The staff at the office are also outstanding and caring. I gladly drive two hours for my appointments with Dr Chen because I trust his care.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

End of 2005, a cytologic diagnosis showed that, there were Positive Malignant cells in my urine. I then went to a top cancer hospital for a biopsy. Nothing was found in my bladder. Since then, I had a cyctoscopy on my bladder every 6 months, and, always, nothing was found in my bladder. Also, always, almost all the cytologic diagnosis showed that there was Atypical Cells Present in my urine. Not until early 2014 that my then doctor found, for the first time, at a routine cystoscopy, that there was a red semi-circle around the distal end of my urethra, which was never carefully surveyed in all my previous cyctoscopies done by him before. He then hurriedly arranged a biopsy for me a few days later. Only then I was told that the biopsy would be done in the forms of Frozen Sections, i.e. my private part would be kept being cut off section by section and examined until it was sure that no more cancer cells remained in my private part. I refused taking this kind of biopsy and left that hospital. After that, I spent several months to look for a good doctor to take care of me. An intern in a renowned cancer hospital that is far away from my then residence suggested Doctor David Chen of Fox Chase to me. I went to see Doctor Chen. I found that he was very knowledgeable of my disease. He was very patient and took time to explain to me my disease and ways to treat it. I found that he was the doctor I was looking for. He then did a biopsy for me. A tiny specimen was taken away from my urethra for diagnosis. It turned out that my cancer was Non-Invasive High-Grade Papillary Urethral Carcinoma. I asked him to allow me a watchful wait. He granted my request. Early this year (2016), it was found that my cancer was getting more protruding. He then ordered a surgery. The surgery was very successful. Only a short section of my urethra was taken away. My private part is basically kept intact. A few days later, the catheter was taken away, and I could urinate standing. I had a cystoscopy recently, and nothing was found in my urethra. I feel lucky to have found Dr. Chen, who is an expert in genitourinary cancer, considerate of his patients, and with both ethics and knowledge. I will recommend him without reservation to anyone who has a need of his expertise. Also, his support team is marvelous, and in particular, Sue Burke, who is very warm and professional.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2016

After being diagnosed with prostate cancer, I met with Dr. Chen to discuss options. He was very patient and comprehensive in his explanations, and made me very comfortable in choosing him to proceed with surgery. He performed nerve-sparing robotic-assisted surgery in September 2014. The incisions were very small, the pain was less than I anticipated, and my recovery was speedy. Since then I have been cancer free and my April 2016 blood test showed no detectable PSA. Throughout this entire process I have appreciated Dr. Chen's professionalism and ability to clearly respond to any questions I have had. I can recommend him without reservation.

flag | Submitted May 4, 2016

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer, Gleason 7, stage in July 2015. Dr. Chen performed nerve-sparing robotic-assisted prostate surgery in September to remove the prostate and now I am cancer free with an undetectable PSA. He demonstrated knowledge, skill and has an excellent bedside manner, taking whatever time needed to answer questions thoroughly and to ensure I understood all I needed to know about the disease, the treatment and the healing process. I recommend him highly. He is a real professional.

flag | Submitted December 29, 2015

Dr. David Chen's Credentials

• Cornell University Medical College (Grad. 1997)