Ratings for Dr. Sonia Yuen

I've read mixed reviews. I found her manner & methods for coercing my child awful. She used scare tactics & force. I can't judge knowledge but in our case I believe she drawn a conclusion about my daughter before she started and set out- by devious means- to prove it. Rebate was half what was indicated in the info pack and we left with nothing but a massive bill. No help at all. If you had alternative options, consider going with them.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2017

Probably has good clinical knowledge but very rude, and hopeless with children. Mean, no empathy even when my son was extremely well behaved. No attempt made to explain condition to me even after questioning and I am a physician so I found this both rude and surprising! $155 for 3 minute consult with $37 back from medicare. Honestly, I teach medical students and I'd make her repeat the year given her total lack of bedside manner. There's a reason her wait list is shorter! Avoid like the plague.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2017

Late? Sometimes, but I appreciate that when you do surgery it might take a little longer than expected; at least, when I am on the table I wouldn't want the surgeon rushing to meet clinic appointment times. Abrupt? Certainly not in my experience; I found Dr Yuen to be as pleasant and friendly as I could hope for. Perhaps people receive what they project. Professional? Absolutely! Informative? Absolutley! Skilled? Judging by the result of my surgery she is an expert and possibly the best in her field. I am so glad I ignored some of these negative reviews and relied on qualifications and experience which are on the record. Tolerating a lack of punctuality is short term pain for potentially, highly likely, long term gain. I would highly recommend Dr Yuen to anyone needing eye surgery. In my case the removal of two Basal Cell Carcenomas.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2017

How can a 8.30am appointment be 45 minutes late??? Every single time ???? I have taken my son son to Dr Yuen 4 times this year after being referred in December and at each appointment I have been extremely disappointed .... She came highly recommended, but I have found her rude, abrupt and she has no rapport with children ... She demands responses from my son when it is obvious he cannot see what is on the board, and gets angry at him if he gets it wrong. She has prescribed glasses which has made his vision worse and he is now having trouble at school ... My son's condition is almost identical to my own (different eyes) ... As a child I was treated by Leslie Manning and have nothing but positive praise for my experiences. The same cannot be said for my son .... I have explained this at length to Dr Yuen and we end up in a terse discussion at every appointment (I am sure the other patients outside can hear the displeasure in my voice). She may be the doctor, but having had the personal experience myself I disagree with her treatment ... Her explanation is "your condition is not the same" ... How is she possibly qualified to make such a statement when she does not know my history . I know what my son is going through, I have been there myself. It sucks, and all I want is the best treatment for him, not to be barked at constantly ... When you wear glasses, you should want to put them on because it helps you see, not because you should "get used to it even though you don't like it" ... His vision is worse with the glasses then without ... Fortunately we have a very experienced and understanding Optometrist who has provided an alternative prescription until we can see another Ophthalmologist .... No wonder there was only a two week wait to get into Dr Yuen originally, now I know why and wish I had seen some of these reviews earlier.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2017

We've seen Dr Yuen several times for our son. She is rushed, late, abrupt and not very good with children. My son has no trouble attending Dr visits but was very upset by the way she treated him. He is 4 and doesn't know how to read yet and she expected him to be able to identify letters of the alphabet easily and quickly. She doesn't explain things very well and has confused myself, my husband and mother who have all taken our son to see her at different times. While I'm sure she is very qualified and experienced, this is not helpful if you can't explain yourself well and intimidate the child you are trying to help. We will be seeking a second opinion.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2017

Dr yuen is extremely rude and unhelpful. Very rushed and the wait time is at least 90 minutes. She is awful

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017

Had to wait over 3 hours for a 10min consultation to confirm what I already knew and cost a bundle

flag | Submitted November 24, 2016

Regret taking my daughter to see her. A complete waste of time and money.

flag | Submitted June 15, 2016

I had app with Dr Sonya Yuen, I saw all the bad reviews but there was an ophthalmology conference on and she was the only Dr I could get in to see. She diagnosed me with Herpes Simplex Keratitis despite the fact I had an accident and got glass in my eyes a couple of years ago and have had problems ever since. She gave me antiviral gel. I did not improve. I saw another Dr who diagnosed me with 'Recurrent Corneal Erosion syndrome' which completely describes my condition and medical history. Sonya is fast but she is not thorough and she misdiagnosed me. Waste of my time and money. But I guess she is making a lot of money and that is what is important to some Drs.

flag | Submitted December 3, 2015

We have seen Dr Yuen a few times now. My son has a moderate to severe intellectual impairment and we see a number of different specialists for a whole range of medical issues. You will get specialists that want to spend time with niceties and building rapport, which can be great, but at the end of the day you need expert advice. We have tried various ophthalmologist's in Brisbane for our son and we are very happy we eventually stumbled across Dr Yuen who was referred to us by our paediatrician who had been hearing great things from others about her outcomes. It is unfortunate we found her so late though as we knew there were other issues with our son's eyesight but other opthamologists disregarded our concerns. As it turns out an operation when he was younger would of saved what we are going through now. Dr Yuen will get straight to the point when you first meet her and jump right in to the eye exam immediately, and she is very direct and succinct but you are paying her for her knowledge and expertise. I walked away from the first appointment a bit unsure about some information, but I have learnt to ask questions and I also ask her to reclarify for me, which she is more than happy to. As for the eye exam with a child with an intellectual impairment, she used a variety of methods to get information from him, but you the parent are the best one to let her know first up what's going to work and what's not. We have never had to wait long (some specialists we see the wait can be up to an hour and a half, with Dr Yuen the longest wait would be around 30-40 minutes, sometimes we have gone straight in). Dr Yuen is one of the top, if not the top paediatric opthamologist in Brisbane at the moment, a current senior lecturer at UQ, and Stanford University trained. She is expensive so expect a big gap, but it's the price you need to pay to get a correct diagnosis.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2015