Ratings for Dr. Roland H. Brilla

I read reviews of this doctor before seeing him. I was dreading my appointment because I felt I needed someone to listen to me, I didn't want to feel rushed, and I wanted my husband with me. But because I had a positive experience I felt compelled to write a review. I did feel that I had time to explain all my symptoms, and that Dr Brilla understood them. I spent at least 1 hour with the doctor as a new patient appointment. I was allowed to give my thoughts and input in my care. I am in health care, and with that in mind he used appropriate terminology at my level of understanding, and let me view my MRIs along with him, explaining as he went. I do not have a diagnoses for my symptoms, but Dr Brilla went over the differentials so that I could understand why I didn't have specific conditions I was concerned about, which was important to me as I am desperate for answers for my (pain, etc) symptoms. This visit was worth my time.

flag | Submitted February 26, 2013

Dr.Brilla is caring and compassionate. I really trust him with my health care needs. I would recommend him to everyone I know!

flag | Submitted May 1, 2012

I have Physicians Plus insurance, am 58 years old, working full time. I first saw Dr. Brilla in late 2007 because I was having balance problems. When I flat out asked him what was wrong he shouted, "You have ataxia! Ataxia! You may end up in a wheelchair. Or you may not." (Ataxia is a symptom, not a disease.) He said that genetic testing could be scheduled, then shooed me out. I waited and waited for someone to call me back and schedule said testing. 2 years later in 2009, I called his office back. His nurse was embarassed and said "something had slipped through the cracks." Turns out Dr. Brilla feels that genetic testing is too expensive. Another MRI and it turns out he has now diagnosed Small Vessel Disease and lesions on my pons (brainstem). At MY suggestion, I'm having physical therapy (wonderful!) and a daily baby aspirin. He is truly German. I would recommend him only to the patient who is very well prepared with written questions, and who will not back down under his bullying.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2012

This doctor rushed through our meeting without giving me a chance to provide the information anyone would need to properly diagnose the situation. Perhaps the mass-production way the system is organized has something to do with this interaction, but his is an extreme case compared to other doctors I have interacted with. Brilla was quick to reach his own conclusions and in a hurry to conclude that everything was OK. There was no chance to add other pertinent details or to even think through answers to his rapid-fire questions. I would echo what others have commented about his evident lack of interest in the patient or evidence of compassion.

flag | Submitted January 15, 2012

I HAVE PHYSCIANS PLUS INSURANCE WITH A $10 COPAY. I SAW DR BRILLA 3 TIMES. I HAVE WORKED IN THE HEALTHCARE PROFESSION FOR 32 YRS AND HAVE NEVER MET A MORE NONCOMPASSIONATE, RUDE ,ARROGANT, NONCARING DOCTOR EVER. MY DAUGHTER IS AN RN AT THE UW HOSPITAL IN MADISON WI AND SHE NOT ONLY DROVE ME TO MY APPTS BUT CAME ALONG FOR SUPPORT AND SINCE MY HUSBAND WAS WORKING CAME ALONG TO HELP EXPLAIN MY PROBLEMS AND AS A "SECOND SET OF EARS"...SOMETHING THAT WE ENCOURAGE AT THE CLINIC WHERE I WORK AT. DR BRILLA BECAME ANGRY AND IMMEDIATELY TOLD HER TO LEAVE THE ROOM AND EVEN AFTER EXPLAINING WHY I WANTED HER TO STAY HE REFUSED. HIS BEDSIDE MANNER IS AWFUL! I WOULD NEVER REFER ANYONE TO HIM . THIS IS THE FIRST DR IN 57 YRS OF MY LIFE THAT I HAVE NOT GOTTEN ALONG WITH. AFTER MY APPT ( WHICH TOOK A BIT LONGER THAN EXPECTED AND PUT HIM BEHIND) HE ACTUALLY WALKED ME TO THE RECPT AREA, STOPPED IN THE WAITING ROOM AND TOLD THE OTHER PATIENTS HE WILL BE RUNNING BEHIND BECAUSE OF ME! I WAS SHOCKED !

flag | Submitted December 22, 2011

Any questions I asked got short, curt, even rude responses. He was immediately judgmental and drew negative conclusions about me right away. This was all very off-putting, as I was looking forward to speaking to a doctor with expertise and understanding. He was lacking both.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2011

The previous comments have him described to a "T"!!! He is a pompous, arrogant, and uneducated!!! He flat out told me that there was nothing wrong with me and it was all in my head! When in fact I turned around and was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease!! He made me feel like I was crazy and along with the previous person, has permanently "marked" my chart with that! Somebody really needs to take him out of practice. DO NOT SEE THIS MAN!!!!

flag | Submitted May 8, 2010

I have been suffering from Lyme encephalopathy and resulting neurological problems for 2 years. I saw Dr. Brilla about these issues. He does not know anything about Lyme Disease. After having an MRI run on my brain and performing a spinal tap(which left me with post-spinal tap sydrome), he said "There is nothing wrong with you that I can see." He does not offer to investigate further nor does he allow the patient to offer personal input or research. Instead, he scoffs at patients' knowledge, despite the fact that he is not intelligent himself, admittedly knows very little about the brain's functioning, and, at times, struggles with speaking English properly. He is German. Save your $256 doctor visit and see anyone else.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2009

Dr. Roland H. Brilla's Credentials

• Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe-Univ, Med Fak, Frankfurt, Ger (407-23 Pr 1/71) (Grad. 1996)