Ratings for Dr. Theresa M Lau

Dr Lau has been my child's psychiatrist for 2 years. We adopted our child and the child was later diagnosed with FASD. In order for us to get an actual diagnosis we had to see a child psychiatrist. She 'listens' but doesn't hear what you say. She will suggest things and then when you ask to implement her suggestions she does something completely different. She put our child on one medication that failed miserably and then later tried to put the child back on the same medication. When we recognized it was a medication that was unsuccessful in the past we asked if it was common with FASD to have a previously failed med be successful at a later date and she said " I don't know that much about FASD". When we pointed out it was a failed medication that she had prescribed previously she said "I don't know what else to do". We have spoke to other parents of children with FASD who have had similar experiences (including parents who are also physicians) and they strongly recommended against maintaining her as our child's psychiatrist. I would not recommend her to any family that is dealing with children with FASD as she does not have enough experience in this area to be of any use to families.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2016

Dr. Lau has seen my son for 10 years and helped us through so many struggles. I appreciate that she always listens to all my concerns, has returned emergency phone calls when she was out of the office, and always started with the lowest dose when trying new medication. My son is doing amazing and I don't think we would be where we are without her.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2015

To report: Dr. Lau in her past employment as a psychiatrist for AMS, had seen me in the surgical emergency center. She refused to allow me to talk about another physician who verbally abused me (two witnesses confirmed this) and then she placed statements in my medical file that I never said. She showed no concern with my medical condition, which the physician she was covering for misdiagnosed (documented by a physician who attend and treated me). My primary physician had me see a psychiatrist and nothing was found. All of my problems are physical and because of Dr. Lau I lost everything, so it is hard for me to pay for the medical treatment I need. Dr. Lau is a psychiatrist that I would never want to have attended me or any member of my family. AMS is Affiliated Medical Services who is owned and or operated by Baylor College of Medicine and University of Texas.

flag | Submitted December 15, 2009

Dr. Theresa M Lau's Credentials

• Creighton University School Of Medicine (Grad. 2000)

Pacificare