Ratings for Dr. Moushumi Shoma Datta

Doctor Datta saved my life and when I say saved my life she removed a ovarian cyst and I was able to conceive 6 months after. I have the most beautiful boy now. Not a day goes by that i am grateful for her.

flag | Submitted January 3, 2019

I thought my perception that Dr. Datta had poor bedside manner was strictly a bout of sensitivity until I came on the site and had my concerns reaffirmed. I went to see Dr. Datta to learn more about different kinds of birth control. I specifically asked about the IUD. She literally handed me a Mirena pampthlet and told me to call when I was ready to have it inserted. No lie! I actually didn't even know there were different brands of IUDs or other types of birth control that might be more appropriate for me because Dr. Datta never bothered to explain it to me. Additionally, she can be very judgmental at times and generally behaved as if she was wasting her time even speaking with you. I got the general impression that she wasn't too fond of her work and would rather be anywhere else doing anything else. I promptly switched to Dr. Shannon Hudson. She was extremely knowledgable and actually helped me find a birth control method that closely fit my needs and lifestyle.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2014

I was looking for a new GYN and I came to this office. Overall the service I received was professional and courteous. Dr. Datta introduced herself. I felt at ease right away. I told her a little about my medical history since I wanted her to help with understanding my needs as a patient and since pen and paper does not capture all details. She listened and asked pertinent questions. I asked a few questions, most of which she answered. After, examination I thought she was going to address a few concerns that I had while we chatted but she never did. I will see her again so I will follow up with her. Overall, she was good.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2014

I am sitting here in disbelief of all the negative reviews I am reading on Dr Datta! She is beyond loving, caring, knowledgeable and patient. I've been a patient of hears for over 5 years now and never has she made me feel like a number. She returns my calls, take her time with all types of examinations, recommends new methods in the hope of finally getting rid of my endometriosis and works tirelessly to ensure her patients' satisfaction. She even talks to my husband as if he was one of her patients! I would never want to see another OBGYN. She gets my vote!

flag | Submitted July 16, 2014

I recently tried to make an appointment to see the nurse practitioner, but was instead referred to the Dr. Datta when the NP was not available. The office in midtown is a welcome change to the cold lobby of the downtown office, but the staff seems ill equipped to serve patients. I was asked to undress for my appointment, but then was later asked to run across the hall in just the sheet, because they needed to room to treat another patient. Although I scheduled this appointment to confirm a pregnancy, Dr. Datta wrote on my medical charts that I was instead complaining of abnormal bleeding. She then insisted that I come back for another appointment, where I had an additional co-pay. Most frustrating of all was being told by their office that the doctor would only communicate with me through their asinine patient portal system. There are no notifications for new messages, so they expect you to check the patient portal repeatedly until someone sends you a message.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2014

I cannot say enough about the tenderness and care I've been shown by Dr. Datta over the years. I first went to her at the recommendation of my previous OB/GYN as I was in need of a very complicated surgery. I found her to be warm and humorous, and she always took the time to answer all of my questions. When I was post-op, she'd sit on the edge of my bed to talk to me, and showed me tremendous sympathy when she had to give me news I didn't care to hear. As far as the medical care I've received from her goes, it has been stellar. Routine visits, planned surgeries and an emergency trip to the ER have all been the most hands-on medical experiences I've ever had. I'd trust her with my life, but more than that, I look forward to seeing her!

flag | Submitted March 21, 2013

Lose the attitude or you will quickly lose patients. You are of the view that you will never see me, or any other patient for that matter, again. But how we treat people counts. Didn't they teach you that at UMD? Or are you going to pretend you went somewhere good? Lose the attitude.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2013

My experience with Dr. Datta mimics the other negative experiences people here have had. She is cold and insensitive during exams; she'll speak with you but you get the feeling you're annoying her and she just wants you out. My worst experience, however, came when I asked for a callback to discuss my unhappiness with my current birth control pill. She was rushing me through the conversation, notably angry that I had questions, and almost acted as though she didn't believe me when I told her my symptoms on my current pill. When I made a request for more info about a pill I was interested in, she shot me down. Fine, I'm no doc. But when I had questions about the side effects of the pill she suggested, she sighed with aggravation and started telling me its chemical composition! Then she interrupted me and said "You know what, I thought this was going to be a short conversation but apparently not." She lost me as a patient. I don't recommend her at all when there are so many other options.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2011

This is the worst doctor. I had an emergency and i tried to reach her and she never returned my call. I had a fetal demise. I never thought this doctor would be so uncaring for her patients. I would not recommend her at all. Its a shame there there are doctors like her out there. I never thought she would be a person with no feelings toward her patients. I do hope that people first look at the doctors rating and other opinions before seeing a doctor. Its the worst experience of my life.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2010

I wanted to go to a ob/gyn at Roosevelt since my friend had such a good experience with the hospital. She had highly recommended the doctors there. But my experience with Dr. Datta left me wondering how she is attached to Roosevelt. The staff at the office is good but Dr. Datta's knowledge is abysmal. The nurses there knew better. She was vague while answering most of my queries and I would come home and turn to Google! She is also impatient while answering queries. Maybe a few more years of experience would move her up the curve. But for now she is a disappointment.

flag | Submitted September 1, 2010

Dr. Moushumi Shoma Datta's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Moushumi Shoma Datta, MD, is a fellowship trained board-certified gynecologist, offering a full range of expert gynecologic care and specializing in minimally invasive surgery. Dr. Datta provides routine office visits for examinations, tests, and birth control; in addition, she has expertise in the latest treatments for non-cancerous gynecologic problems, including the most sophisticated minimally invasive laparoscopic and robotic surgical procedures. Dr. Datta completed an accelerated BS-MD joint program at the College of New Jersey and the University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey. During her obstetrics and gynecology residency at the Johns Hopkins Medical Institutes, Dr. Datta developed a keen interest in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery, that is, laparoscopy and hysteroscopy. Such surgery utilizes small cameras and specialized instruments to operate within the abdomen, pelvis, and uterus, thus avoiding large incisions and allowing for fast recovery. Upon graduation from her residency program, she was named the Outstanding Laparoscopic Surgeon of her class by the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons (SLS) and received the Resident Achievement Award in laparoscopic procedures from the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL). After residency, Dr. Datta continued her training in minimally invasive gynecologic surgery during an AAGL fellowship program at Mount Sinai Medical Center. Dr. Datta is an experienced surgeon perforing complicated laparoscopic and robotically assisted procedures utilizing the daVinci robotic surgery system. She is an author of several laparoscopic and robotic surgical outcome studies that have been presented at national conferences and published in peer-reviewed journals. Overall, she has gained extensive operative experience in complex cases of uterine fibroids, endometriosis, and other pelvic pathology. Dr. Datta is also currently a reviewer for the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics. She is fluent in Bengali and conversant in Spanish.

• Bengali
  • English
  • Spanish

• Umdnj-New Jersey Medical School (Grad. 2002)