Ratings for Dr. Sam Bariana

All I can say is that I'm not happy. Lately his interest is the money, not the patients health. Waiting time is horrible. You get sick in the waiting room before you get to see him for 5 minutes.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2017

You're better off with walk-in clinics. The wait is hours long and he doesn't read your chart before entering the room. He treats symptom by symptom, one issue per visit, has completely missed the cause of my illness for nearly a decade. I regret trusting him, which lowered the quality of life in what should have been my peak. I suspect he has been treating me as a hypochondriac for years, giving me vitamin samples to GOOMO. The bigger problem is that he took advantage of it. Even for simple muscle injury, which calls for muscle relaxant and few days rest, he would order X-ray, MRI and a specialist. By the time I received the MRI months later, I'll be well and the specialist would be annoyed I'm even there. Treating me this way means instead of just one visit, it requires 5-6 visits plus the fee for reading all the results. More importantly, he rarely offers treatment. He leads you down the garden path with tests and tests and said months later, "Yup, the report says you have inflammation. You have a lot of pain." Seriously, dude? That what I've told you! This exploitation of over-treatment is costing our health care system and doesn't make us healthier. The time wasting doesn't end there. One must wait at least 45 minutes even with an appointment. I have waited over 2 hours. If you tell them you can come back on another date, the receptionist would charge you $50 for "missing an appointment". He always arrive work half hour late, and he books 10 patients an hour. He's 6-8 patients behind from the start. There are plenty of new clinics opening up in the area. You don't have to tolerate poor service.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2017

Waiting time is too long even if you go with an appointment, You have to wait for 40-50 mins. I don't understand why. When ever I try to question him he will give some silly answer. Chairs he keept in his clinic are old dinning chairs....no TV connection....just look around people's face and wait for nothing. I had an experience when his office was closed and people were waiting outside and he and his staff came goof 30 minutes late. I would suggest change the doctor or go for some walkin clinic.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

Dr. Bariana is a good doctor, but a poor general practitioner. (You must take into account that he provides Botox, Juvederm and Laser Hair Removal. The good reviews here are mostly from those "patients".) As others have mentioned, he's always late. Average wait time is over an hour. It's because he books too many patients while half an hour late to work. He's behind right from the start. You only get a 3-minute consultation, with one issue per visit rule. He's so rushed that he often don't examine me before writing prescriptions. He is unable to provide continuous care that differs a family doctor from a walk-in clinic. At my last visit, I was trying to advise him to make more time. He straight up burned the bridges. I really thought he can be a good doctor if he just take the time. After all, I was his patient since he opened and remember the attentive young doctor back then. I was shocked that he just told me, "Feel free to find another doctor who isn't busy." Subtext: I'm not going to change. My time is more important than all yours. I was more shocked that he just closed my file 2 days later, and said they won't be waiting for my lab results. In the end, I left not because he's always late, it's because I have stopped trusting him. I have since found a new doctor who is eager to provide continuous care in a co-partnership manner. His receptionist is polite. He books 4-5 patients an hour, so we get a decent 10-minute consultation. He takes time to diagnose and explain. The new doctor has fresher knowledge. He has recommended a pain medicine that reduce stomach ulcer. Dr. Bariana had failed to do so despite my complaining of stomach ulcer after taking NSAID. To be fair, if you are only one-issue kind of patient with a lot of time to spare, Dr. Bariana is completely fine. He is always generous with prescriptions. He gave me 30 days worth of muscle relaxant at one go. I usually get 3-5 days worth with other doctors. But if you have chronic illness or something more complicated, it will drive you bonkers having to wait hours in that waiting room, going to labs, x-ray, hospitals, specialist, back in waiting room and only find normal" results. There are ALWAYS options. You shouldn't have to take bad service.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2016

Always late. Unprepared. Misdiagnose. Mansplaining, Oh my! I've been with him for 10 years. He's gotten worse slowly that I just tolerate it and tolerate it. No one with sane mind should choose him at his current practice style. Opens at 10, but he doesn't arrive until after 10:20. Appointment at 5 minute increments, so he's always 5-6 patients behind from the start. You wait 30 minutes on a good day, average wait time is 1 hour 15 minutes. The worst I had was 2 hours 20 minutes. It has become clear to me today that he has no intention to ever be punctuate because there is no shortage of patients - and we are fungible. Life is made up with time. If he doesn't care about your time, he can't possibly care about your life or your health. This is therefore his patients are mostly people with low value of time. This is why previous commentor noted that people who came into this office are very rude. (It is pretty much the Food Basics of clinics) It's an unpleasant waiting room. Most importantly, I've realized that he hasn't really been treating me for the past 10 years. Most of the time he just send me to imagining or blood tests. Then I come back for the result.: This is what you have. It will go away on its own, or not. I have been complaining about being tired for 7 years before we found out it was hypothyroidism. It wasn't even because the idea finally dawn on him. The standard thyroid test isn't performed until one turns 35. i.e. He figured it out merely because I have reached 35. A good doctor should have tested my thyroid by year 2 or 3. For years, he just said, "Sleep more! Exercise! Take vitamin!" He even told me when I was 32 that I had fibromyalgia! It's a BS term that doctors tell you to get the hell out of their office because they don't know what it is. To be fair, I can't tell if he's incompetent or unwilling to try. He often comes in without reading the chart. Sometimes he would be reading last year's results in front of me. I have on not one but two occasion overheard him yelling at the receptionist for giving him the wrong chart in the next room when the father and son have the same name. If he had read the chart before going in, he wouldn't have been embarrassed. In the summer when he's less busy. He can be fine and may even be helpful. I stayed with him because I often forget how bad he is when summer comes. It would make me sad to have to end a 10-year relationship. I really thought in the beginning that he would be my doctor until he retires or I die. Yet he hasn't been giving a damn since he got married and have children. It's all about packing more patients since. He has also started to write shorter prescription so that I must come in more frequently. Refill is always easy money for doctors. Yet it takes me an additional hour and a half. No regards for MY time. I'm not his typical patients. I'm professional upper-middle class. He often "mansplain" things to me. It's condescending way man explain things to women that everyone knows. When I tell him I know what a freaking ophthalmologist is, he patronized me by calling me "smart cookie". I suspect that his tardiness has caused him all the patients with higher value of time that he has gotten used to talk to mostly stupid people.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2016

Some of the people that come into this office are very rude. Ive seen times when they have called the receptionist out of her name. We all have bad days, the wait time is bad but its not the fault of the staff but the doctor. Speak to him.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2016

Excellent doctor, very friendly, encouraging and understanding. Staff can be a bit moody and wait times can get very long however Dr. Bariana makes up for it.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2016

I've been with Sam for nearly 10 years now. He can be great, he can be terrible. But I have learned to work around his flaws. Compared to other GPs, I'd rather go with him because I know what to expect. He genuinely concern for my health. First, he's never on time for work. He comes in around 10:20. The nurse would prep you by measuring your blood pressure and go over the tests you might need for the year before he arrives, takes 5 minutes. He has 3 exam rooms. So it is best to book the 3rd appointment of the day to reduce wait time. You should get yourself in the exam room around the time he arrives, he spend mere 5 minutes on most patients. i.e. The whole thing can be done in 30 minutes if you had a 10:15 appointment. He books at least 8-10 patients an hour. I've seen the date book, it is in 5 minute increments. So you are pretty screwed if you book later in the day. You're looking into a 1.5 hour wait if you book 1pm appointment. Don't expect you can just pop in during lunch. There are more than 10 chairs in the waiting room for a reason. It is best to book mid-week morning. Secondly, they claimed to only address one issue at a time but you can work around it by being very organized and efficient. I need blood test regularly. Instead of coming in just for the form, and another appointment for the result. I would always ask for the form for the next blood test when I get the result. He appreciates that I write things down, my questions and his answers, and learn the proper medical terms. It saves him time to explain, and gives us more time to discuss the treatment plan. I often get 2-3 issues addressed, prescription renewed and the form for the next blood test all within 5 minutes. Other than unreasonable wait time, he's pretty good. He is more conservative with using medicine then other GPs I've met. You should always use the least amount of treatment when possible. He has never suggested antibiotics for sore throat, which is what I like the most about him. (Other doctors just give you that to get you out of there.) He's never pushed any expensive treatments on me. He's very keen on diagnosis tests. I don't always find them useful. Like when I have an MRI of my shoulder that shows I have pain. Yes, I have just told you that. Couldn't you just give me medicine without the month's wait of MRI report? But then we accidentally found that I have a freakish spine. I have chronic pain and the specialist often don't take much care of me because I look young and they don't believe I can be in that much pain. I would tell Sam that I've given up, accepting pain as part of life, so don't bother. But he would not hear of it. He would insist on sending me to another specialist. I guess I'm sticking with him because he seems to be the only person in the world who cares that I'm in pain. You know, I shouldn't say any nice things about him. The wait time is terrible enough. I don't want any more of you there! But I must be fair that he's good enough for what I need for now. 10 years ago, he had a beautiful open plan office, 2 wait room, soft music and ambient light. He only booked 4 patients an hour and he worked until 7pm. He was so fed up by people cancelling and being late that he just overbook the patients now. I suppose this tardy-monster is actually the doing of bad patients! So be on time yourself!

flag | Submitted June 1, 2016

Money hungry, doesn't care about the patients health or well being.. Wait times are horrendous because they always double book but have the nerve to charge patients when a fee if they have to be somewhere after 1.5 hours of waiting! The new secretary he has is so miserably mean and rude I don't even want to go see him for that reason. Switching doctors. Never again, don't go here... Ever! Sure he seems nice, but it's all an act. Don't get fooled people he is only there to make money off of u. He doesn't even know my first name! Been going to him for 4 years now! C'mon! 1/20

flag | Submitted December 16, 2015

Was my famiy Dr for years though he's great be prepared for an hourwait at least and a fine if u decide u need to leave, I left happily staff is still useless and completely ignorant. My doctor is on vodden now, very great people and staff doesn't hate u for having to do there job, very glad my kid will never have to see this experience, 2\20 rate

flag | Submitted November 26, 2015