Ratings for Dr. Sam Bariana

I have been with him since the very beginning. He was much better then. I have left him early this year, my only regret was not leaving sooner. He's always late even if you get the first appointment, he doesn't read previous notes so it's often more like a walk-in clinic rather than integrated GP experience. After a year with my new GP, I'd like to add some comment on his diagnostic skill as a doctor. I have some chronic issue that he fail failed to address because he only sees one issue at a time. One of the problem is my sleep problem. I was unable to sleep through the night, often have to get up to pee. He prescribed some sleeping pills. I could also longer but still had to get up to pee. I would also suffer from muscle coordination. He then said forgot it and never tried to help me with my sleep. He just said when we get older, it's harder to fall asleep. I was 27. Now with my new GP. I told him my sleep problem, he immediately identify that I have sleep apnea. He said when you enter deep sleep your body release antidiuretic hormone so you keep more water and didn't have to pee. If you need to get up in the middle of the night, it's breathing problem. He then refer me to a sleep specialist and taught me to sleep sideways with pillows. I suffered from poor sleep for a decade when I was with Dr. Bariana. If he doesn't know, here should have sent me to a sleep specialist. A decade of insomnia! I regret staying for so long. I thought, sure he's late but he knows what he's talking about. Turns out, he doesn't.

flag | Submitted October 13, 2018

He is so greedy....its just waste of time. Don't play with your health please try to find another goo doctor.

flag | Submitted July 20, 2018

It takes a very long time to get a referral to a specialist. He just does not seem to care about it. Lots of promises but very little action.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2018

I remember when he first started building his practice he was much better. He seemed to care and listen, trying to learn off you. I didn’t mind it, i welcomed it because although I was young with few ailments, I knew he would be able to make a better diagnosis or referral. Now as the years have past for both of us my issues have changed requiring more care and attention and he is less concerned with client care and more concerned with squeezing in more and more patients that results in long wait times, poor doctor attention and very often neglected follow up.

flag | Submitted January 17, 2018

I always finds he rushes so much and hardly let's you talk. It seems I am just a number which is unfortunate. I think he's a nice guy but I need someone interested in my health, not just in it for money. He reschedules. I have never seen him for more than 4 minutes, rushes out of the room. I always leave with unanswered questions. I think it's time to find a new doc.

flag | Submitted December 28, 2017

All I can say is that I'm not happy. Lately his interest is the money, not the patients health. Waiting time is horrible. You get sick in the waiting room before you get to see him for 5 minutes.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2017

You're better off with walk-in clinics. The wait is hours long and he doesn't read your chart before entering the room. He treats symptom by symptom, one issue per visit, has completely missed the cause of my illness for nearly a decade. I regret trusting him, which lowered the quality of life in what should have been my peak. I suspect he has been treating me as a hypochondriac for years, giving me vitamin samples to GOOMO. The bigger problem is that he took advantage of it. Even for simple muscle injury, which calls for muscle relaxant and few days rest, he would order X-ray, MRI and a specialist. By the time I received the MRI months later, I'll be well and the specialist would be annoyed I'm even there. Treating me this way means instead of just one visit, it requires 5-6 visits plus the fee for reading all the results. More importantly, he rarely offers treatment. He leads you down the garden path with tests and tests and said months later, "Yup, the report says you have inflammation. You have a lot of pain." Seriously, dude? That what I've told you! This exploitation of over-treatment is costing our health care system and doesn't make us healthier. The time wasting doesn't end there. One must wait at least 45 minutes even with an appointment. I have waited over 2 hours. If you tell them you can come back on another date, the receptionist would charge you $50 for "missing an appointment". He always arrive work half hour late, and he books 10 patients an hour. He's 6-8 patients behind from the start. There are plenty of new clinics opening up in the area. You don't have to tolerate poor service.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2017

Waiting time is too long even if you go with an appointment, You have to wait for 40-50 mins. I don't understand why. When ever I try to question him he will give some silly answer. Chairs he keept in his clinic are old dinning chairs....no TV connection....just look around people's face and wait for nothing. I had an experience when his office was closed and people were waiting outside and he and his staff came goof 30 minutes late. I would suggest change the doctor or go for some walkin clinic.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

Dr. Bariana is a good doctor, but a poor general practitioner. (You must take into account that he provides Botox, Juvederm and Laser Hair Removal. The good reviews here are mostly from those "patients".) As others have mentioned, he's always late. Average wait time is over an hour. It's because he books too many patients while half an hour late to work. He's behind right from the start. You only get a 3-minute consultation, with one issue per visit rule. He's so rushed that he often don't examine me before writing prescriptions. He is unable to provide continuous care that differs a family doctor from a walk-in clinic. At my last visit, I was trying to advise him to make more time. He straight up burned the bridges. I really thought he can be a good doctor if he just take the time. After all, I was his patient since he opened and remember the attentive young doctor back then. I was shocked that he just told me, "Feel free to find another doctor who isn't busy." Subtext: I'm not going to change. My time is more important than all yours. I was more shocked that he just closed my file 2 days later, and said they won't be waiting for my lab results. In the end, I left not because he's always late, it's because I have stopped trusting him. I have since found a new doctor who is eager to provide continuous care in a co-partnership manner. His receptionist is polite. He books 4-5 patients an hour, so we get a decent 10-minute consultation. He takes time to diagnose and explain. The new doctor has fresher knowledge. He has recommended a pain medicine that reduce stomach ulcer. Dr. Bariana had failed to do so despite my complaining of stomach ulcer after taking NSAID. To be fair, if you are only one-issue kind of patient with a lot of time to spare, Dr. Bariana is completely fine. He is always generous with prescriptions. He gave me 30 days worth of muscle relaxant at one go. I usually get 3-5 days worth with other doctors. But if you have chronic illness or something more complicated, it will drive you bonkers having to wait hours in that waiting room, going to labs, x-ray, hospitals, specialist, back in waiting room and only find normal" results. There are ALWAYS options. You shouldn't have to take bad service.

flag | Submitted November 23, 2016

Always late. Unprepared. Misdiagnose. Mansplaining, Oh my! I've been with him for 10 years. He's gotten worse slowly that I just tolerate it and tolerate it. No one with sane mind should choose him at his current practice style. Opens at 10, but he doesn't arrive until after 10:20. Appointment at 5 minute increments, so he's always 5-6 patients behind from the start. You wait 30 minutes on a good day, average wait time is 1 hour 15 minutes. The worst I had was 2 hours 20 minutes. It has become clear to me today that he has no intention to ever be punctuate because there is no shortage of patients - and we are fungible. Life is made up with time. If he doesn't care about your time, he can't possibly care about your life or your health. This is therefore his patients are mostly people with low value of time. This is why previous commentor noted that people who came into this office are very rude. (It is pretty much the Food Basics of clinics) It's an unpleasant waiting room. Most importantly, I've realized that he hasn't really been treating me for the past 10 years. Most of the time he just send me to imagining or blood tests. Then I come back for the result.: This is what you have. It will go away on its own, or not. I have been complaining about being tired for 7 years before we found out it was hypothyroidism. It wasn't even because the idea finally dawn on him. The standard thyroid test isn't performed until one turns 35. i.e. He figured it out merely because I have reached 35. A good doctor should have tested my thyroid by year 2 or 3. For years, he just said, "Sleep more! Exercise! Take vitamin!" He even told me when I was 32 that I had fibromyalgia! It's a BS term that doctors tell you to get the hell out of their office because they don't know what it is. To be fair, I can't tell if he's incompetent or unwilling to try. He often comes in without reading the chart. Sometimes he would be reading last year's results in front of me. I have on not one but two occasion overheard him yelling at the receptionist for giving him the wrong chart in the next room when the father and son have the same name. If he had read the chart before going in, he wouldn't have been embarrassed. In the summer when he's less busy. He can be fine and may even be helpful. I stayed with him because I often forget how bad he is when summer comes. It would make me sad to have to end a 10-year relationship. I really thought in the beginning that he would be my doctor until he retires or I die. Yet he hasn't been giving a damn since he got married and have children. It's all about packing more patients since. He has also started to write shorter prescription so that I must come in more frequently. Refill is always easy money for doctors. Yet it takes me an additional hour and a half. No regards for MY time. I'm not his typical patients. I'm professional upper-middle class. He often "mansplain" things to me. It's condescending way man explain things to women that everyone knows. When I tell him I know what a freaking ophthalmologist is, he patronized me by calling me "smart cookie". I suspect that his tardiness has caused him all the patients with higher value of time that he has gotten used to talk to mostly stupid people.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2016