Ratings for Dr. Charles Chamberlain

Very helpful. I never feel rushed when talking to him- shows concern, empathy, and compassion.

flag | Submitted October 31, 2018

Saw this doc years ago. He smartly told me I didn't need a prescription for drugs. I needed therapy to get over my anger.....and that I did. I admire his diagnostic ability and dislike his manner. Overall, I benefitted from his knowledge and found great ways to thrive.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2018

It is totally unfair to evaluate doctors (or anyone) after they are past a certain age ; as someone said about the current 72 year old US President he is basically screaming at kids to get off his lawn. In his prime Dr. Chamberlain struck the perfect balance between supporting and challenging the patient and admitted to me his lack of expertise in the use of medications, a welcome display of humility on the part of his profession. He seems to have had challenges in accepting the realities of aging, not appreciating the virtue of leaving on a high note.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2018

Dr. Charles Chamerlaine questions and comments illustrate that he attempts to impose his ideology on his patients. For example, when a 20 year old patient reported that she was not sexually active with her boyfriend, he snapped, "In this age and time. You are 20 years old, don't you have the desire, aren't you attracted to each other?". Then he followed this by, "how about your girlfriends, what do you do with them?". His response to every request is "no" as he attempts to keep the patient in the dark in order to maintain power and control. If a patient places great importance over a specific value (e.g. privacy), then he does everything to include as many individuals as possible to violate a patient's privacy. On one occasion, he snapped at a 20 years old, "She hasn't seen you and I want her to see you", before he invites an individual who is not even involved in this patient care into the room. He withholds documents from patients, then when a patient gets frustrated, then he labels them with DMS manual labels while involving as many people as possible to watch the patient acting in frustration. Indeed, if a patient throws a pebble out of frustration, Charles Chamberlaine retaliates with a full army of organized professionals. This is his attempt to oppress the patient. The long term consequence of his treatment of patients, is that a patient will leave convinced that it's million times better to cope with stress by drinking alcohol excessively or using street drugs excessively rather than spend 5 minutes with someone like Charles Chamberlaine and stay clear from all mental health specialist. On another occasion, Charles Chamerlaine snapped, "I am sure you want no evidence of you ever being here, but I will make sure that you have a permanent record." Yet on another occasion, he yells at a 20 year old, " If you push me, I will document that you are incompetent." On a memorable occasion, a nurse revealed to a patient that Dr. Chamberlaine, had said, "the patient is Z". When this patient confronted Dr. Chamberlaine and asked whey he made that statement, then Dr. Chamberlaine replied, "I didn't say that but if you think that I am saying things behind your back to the nurse, then you are indeed Z". This is a very common game that he plays, he will say very negative things about a patient to other medical professionals, but when the patient confronts him, he completely denies it and used degrading labels on the patient for daring to ask him. Before seeing him, I was under the impression that a therapist would highlight a patient strength and help her master her weaknesses, but he is the type of person who follows the philosophy, "Catch a patient doing something wrong and then document while having an audience watching the patient squirm in frustration". Using my experience with Dr. Chamberlaine as a reference point, has made every single person that I have come in contact with appear kinder, more compassionate, more emphatic, more sensitive, more sympathetic, and respectful in comparison.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2018

We had a very negative experience with this doctor. He behaves one way when other professionals are with the patient and he behaves the exact opposite way when he is alone with the patient. He tell the patient one thing and he documents the exact opposite thing. His number one priority is to document in a way to make himself look perfect and portray the patient in the most negative manner. It may have been extremely easy for him to play power control games with a patient (who is a fraction of his age and is at the weakest stage of their life) in his clinic's little world, but his egocentric attitude blinds him to the fact, that in the process he has planted a powerful seed of determination that is growing in the bigger world. That is, his patients have not only developed an aversion to psychiatrists ( as a result of their experience with him) but they are determined to succeed to prove that he is completely wrong in his assessment and treatment of them. Our lives can be divided into two parts; before our experience with him, and after our experience with him. Before our experience with him, we believed that 1+1 = 2, and in the humanity of medical professionals; but after our experience with him, we were left to conclude that 1+1 equals any number that deceiving authority figures (like this doctor) give it (after they have manipulated every system and institution around them).

flag | Submitted July 20, 2017

Amazing person. Thank you for being you. Enjoy your retirement.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2017

His superficial mannerism enabled him to sustain his professional position. It's clearly obivious that he entered this profession for the financial rewards as he makes no attempts to heal wounds, on the contrary if one comes to him with a wound, he sprinkles salt on it. He is very antagonistic as his strategy is to play a person at their plan and win (with no consideration given to the person's age or emotional condition). Specifically, if a person complains of X, he turns around and accuses him/her of commiting X. His arrogant attitude leads him to do everything possible to aggravate his patients. He intimidates his patients with his sarcastic comments. He is the type of person who would stab you and then offer you a rose. In the process, he wears down a person's self-esteem until their spirit vanishes. He puts on a phony smile while documenting detrimental material with the purpose of stigmatizing his patients. He engages in extremely explotive behavior and then he attempts to soften the blow with a phony act. He is a master at escalating any minor issue by pushing a person's buttons with him demeaning remarks. Crossing paths with him was the worst experience of our lives to the extent that whenever we think about his infamous mind games, we want to kiss the feet of every person we have ever met before and after him. Before going to see him, we believed that medical professionals are healers; our experience with him has convinced us that some are charlatans.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2017

He has a superior complex. His mood alternate from anger to making a mockery of his patient's weakness. He gives out medication like candy and then when the patient reacts to the adverse side effects of the medication, he simply washes his hand of the matter or throw labels at his patient. He likes to play psychological games with patients which traumatizes them. He makes very judgmental comments about patient's lifestyle. After our experience with Dr. Chamberlaine, we will avoid therapist at all cost.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

Dr Chamberlaine is now retired but was my Psychiatrist since 1994. I was admitted to the hospital after I attempted suicide. I had been in the hospital several days before I knew where I was. I insisted I was okay and pressured the staff to discharge me. I was discharged on the condition that I see Dr Chamberlaine the following day. Our initial days were tough as I was still very depressed and I asked him to make me a promise that he would never allow me the opportunity to attempt suicide again. I am generally a pretty happy person and couldn't understand what was wrong with me and why I would ever consider such an act. At the time I had a 4 year old. He did promise and whenever I was in that frame of mind he admitted me into the hospital. About 10 hospitalizations and many years of therapy later I am now living a fairly healthy life. I still struggle occasionally with mental health issues but have managed to keep the "black dogs away". During our time in therapy he helped me to recognize many maladaptive behaviours I had developed that were contributing to issues in my life and to develop better coping strategies. I honestly owe my life to this doctor who with compassion, patience and professionalism allowed me to take charge of my own health. He will be missed and not easy to replace.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2017

He is retired now, and sorely missed - Dr. Chamberlaine was my psychiatrist for a number of years, and was the first mental health worker of any level to hear me and genuinely care about my wellbeing. He was so consistently kind and knowledgeable that even after I moved away, I commuted two and a half hours one-way to continue seeing him for my quick in-and-out, 15-minute checkup visits. If he was still practicing, I would still be doing so. I seriously doubt that whatever doctor I find next could possibly measure up to him. I do not hesitate to say this man saved my life, and because of him I've gone from being housebound and virtually non-verbal at times to graduated from school and working in my dream field. He genuinely heard what I had to say and actually allowed me to keep my agency --to actually have input over the kind of care I felt I needed to receive-- which over a lifetime of struggling with mental illness I have come to realize is a very rare occurrence within this area of medical care. His trust in me helped me trust him back, and to both trust the process of healing and learning the workarounds necessary for people in my situation to regain control of their lives. Although his office was extremely disorganized (they lost my file when I was to be enrolled in a PTSD, program so I after eight months of waiting I gave up and paid out of pocket for a similar program elsewhere; I had to correct my listed phone number every single time I visited [why? I don't know. It was always off by one number...]; they seemed to struggle with returning phone calls promptly... it could be a bit of a mess. Actually, the entire hospital was - I'm still waiting to receive my file so I can be transferred to another psychiatrist, and I requested it in November [there's supposedly a 3-week wait, and when I went back end of December they'd misplaced it and thus hadn't even started copying it out yet]. So with all that being said, I can't help but wonder if they were overcrowded and/or understaffed given the state of Ontario hospitals right now. They were never unfriendly or impolite, just disorganized), I never once had anything but an excellent experience with this doctor in and of himself. I deeply regret my inability to adequately show my thanks and give him a gift, or a letter, or anything at all at my last visit. He deserves to really know how much of a difference he has made. I wish him all the best for his retirement.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2016