Ratings for Dr. Charles Chamberlain

We had a very negative experience with this doctor. He behaves one way when other professionals are with the patient and he behaves the exact opposite way when he is alone with the patient. He tell the patient one thing and he documents the exact opposite thing. His number one priority is to document in a way to make himself look perfect and portray the patient in the most negative manner. It may have been extremely easy for him to play power control games with a patient (who is a fraction of his age and is at the weakest stage of their life) in his clinic's little world, but his egocentric attitude blinds him to the fact, that in the process he has planted a powerful seed of determination that is growing in the bigger world. That is, his patients have not only developed an aversion to psychiatrists ( as a result of their experience with him) but they are determined to succeed to prove that he is completely wrong in his assessment and treatment of them. Our lives can be divided into two parts; before our experience with him, and after our experience with him. Before our experience with him, we believed that 1+1 = 2, and in the humanity of medical professionals; but after our experience with him, we were left to conclude that 1+1 equals any number that deceiving authority figures (like this doctor) give it (after they have manipulated every system and institution around them).

flag | Submitted July 20, 2017

Amazing person. Thank you for being you. Enjoy your retirement.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2017

His superficial mannerism enabled him to sustain his professional position. It's clearly obivious that he entered this profession for the financial rewards as he makes no attempts to heal wounds, on the contrary if one comes to him with a wound, he sprinkles salt on it. He is very antagonistic as his strategy is to play a person at their plan and win (with no consideration given to the person's age or emotional condition). Specifically, if a person complains of X, he turns around and accuses him/her of commiting X. His arrogant attitude leads him to do everything possible to aggravate his patients. He intimidates his patients with his sarcastic comments. He is the type of person who would stab you and then offer you a rose. In the process, he wears down a person's self-esteem until their spirit vanishes. He puts on a phony smile while documenting detrimental material with the purpose of stigmatizing his patients. He engages in extremely explotive behavior and then he attempts to soften the blow with a phony act. He is a master at escalating any minor issue by pushing a person's buttons with him demeaning remarks. Crossing paths with him was the worst experience of our lives to the extent that whenever we think about his infamous mind games, we want to kiss the feet of every person we have ever met before and after him. Before going to see him, we believed that medical professionals are healers; our experience with him has convinced us that some are charlatans.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2017

He has a superior complex. His mood alternate from anger to making a mockery of his patient's weakness. He gives out medication like candy and then when the patient reacts to the adverse side effects of the medication, he simply washes his hand of the matter or throw labels at his patient. He likes to play psychological games with patients which traumatizes them. He makes very judgmental comments about patient's lifestyle. After our experience with Dr. Chamberlaine, we will avoid therapist at all cost.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

Dr Chamberlaine is now retired but was my Psychiatrist since 1994. I was admitted to the hospital after I attempted suicide. I had been in the hospital several days before I knew where I was. I insisted I was okay and pressured the staff to discharge me. I was discharged on the condition that I see Dr Chamberlaine the following day. Our initial days were tough as I was still very depressed and I asked him to make me a promise that he would never allow me the opportunity to attempt suicide again. I am generally a pretty happy person and couldn't understand what was wrong with me and why I would ever consider such an act. At the time I had a 4 year old. He did promise and whenever I was in that frame of mind he admitted me into the hospital. About 10 hospitalizations and many years of therapy later I am now living a fairly healthy life. I still struggle occasionally with mental health issues but have managed to keep the "black dogs away". During our time in therapy he helped me to recognize many maladaptive behaviours I had developed that were contributing to issues in my life and to develop better coping strategies. I honestly owe my life to this doctor who with compassion, patience and professionalism allowed me to take charge of my own health. He will be missed and not easy to replace.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2017

He is retired now, and sorely missed - Dr. Chamberlaine was my psychiatrist for a number of years, and was the first mental health worker of any level to hear me and genuinely care about my wellbeing. He was so consistently kind and knowledgeable that even after I moved away, I commuted two and a half hours one-way to continue seeing him for my quick in-and-out, 15-minute checkup visits. If he was still practicing, I would still be doing so. I seriously doubt that whatever doctor I find next could possibly measure up to him. I do not hesitate to say this man saved my life, and because of him I've gone from being housebound and virtually non-verbal at times to graduated from school and working in my dream field. He genuinely heard what I had to say and actually allowed me to keep my agency --to actually have input over the kind of care I felt I needed to receive-- which over a lifetime of struggling with mental illness I have come to realize is a very rare occurrence within this area of medical care. His trust in me helped me trust him back, and to both trust the process of healing and learning the workarounds necessary for people in my situation to regain control of their lives. Although his office was extremely disorganized (they lost my file when I was to be enrolled in a PTSD, program so I after eight months of waiting I gave up and paid out of pocket for a similar program elsewhere; I had to correct my listed phone number every single time I visited [why? I don't know. It was always off by one number...]; they seemed to struggle with returning phone calls promptly... it could be a bit of a mess. Actually, the entire hospital was - I'm still waiting to receive my file so I can be transferred to another psychiatrist, and I requested it in November [there's supposedly a 3-week wait, and when I went back end of December they'd misplaced it and thus hadn't even started copying it out yet]. So with all that being said, I can't help but wonder if they were overcrowded and/or understaffed given the state of Ontario hospitals right now. They were never unfriendly or impolite, just disorganized), I never once had anything but an excellent experience with this doctor in and of himself. I deeply regret my inability to adequately show my thanks and give him a gift, or a letter, or anything at all at my last visit. He deserves to really know how much of a difference he has made. I wish him all the best for his retirement.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2016

Have seen many doctors in the past and I must say he has been the most knowledgeable and helpful, he genuinely seems as though he cares for his patients and is not pushy or judgemental. He will always make himself available for consultation or will see you if you are experiencing a crisis. I don't know where I would be today without his help.

flag | Submitted February 29, 2016

Dr. Chamberlaine is a great doctor. He's very knowledgeable and has helped me through a lot. However... Things are not run well in his office. I asked to be referred to a CBT program at the hospital and he said it was a great idea, then I heard nothing about it. Called a dozen times (the receptionist literally never answers the phone) and when I eventually got a call back she said there was no referral put in for me but that she would do it right away. It's been months and still nothing. I've called another dozen or so times for an appointment and when she finally called me back I wasn't available to answer. She left a message saying she booked me for noon that day. ...I got the message on 11am on a Thursday. I couldn't make it, called, left a message asking her to call me with a new appointment. It's been a month. Utterly ridiculous.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2016

Jessica Never returns phone calls.. it's a poor run doctor

flag | Submitted December 8, 2014

I first saw Dr. Chamberlain and his team seven years ago for a brief period. I have now been under his care once again for just over a year. I find that he and his staff have been very helpful, kind, responsive and knowledgeable. I cannot get better care. I'm sad to see some negative ratings and comments. If you are being referred to Dr. Chamberlain don't be upset about the negative comments seen here. Dr. Chamberlain will work with you if you work with him. And - he and his team helped me even when I was so low I wasn't able to work with them!

flag | Submitted September 14, 2014