Outstanding Staff Badge
World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Antonio R. Gargiulo

My husband and I tried to have kids for 2 years and had multiple miscarriages. I came to Dr Gargiulo after a friend reference and thanks to him and the BWH staff I now have a beautiful baby girl. Dr G is very knowledgeable, professional and kind. I would urge anybody with infertility problems to contact him and the infertility center at the Brigham and women’s hospital. Thanks to you I now have a little bundle of joy in my arms. Thank you thank you thank you

flag | Submitted March 17, 2018

After years of excruciating pain, Dr G found the cause off my pain, conducted surgery and was always so comforting and kind! Thank God for you and giving me my life back!

flag | Submitted November 8, 2017

Dr. Antonio R. Gargiulo's response
This is a most kind review, and it is so effective in its simplicity. It truly expresses a fundamental concept in modern medicine: a plurality of approaches and skill levels exist in the medical establishment. Patients who take the time to research their providers thoroughly usually end up securing the right provider for their condition. This is particularly true for very complex conditions such as endometriosis (in all its forms). Care of endometriosis should be conducted exclusively in high-speciality centers, such as the Boston Center for Endometriosis (http://bostoncenterendometriosis.org). This is the only endometriosis center completely staffed by full time Harvard Medical School faculty, who can tackle the condition armed with the most advanced biological, pharmacological and surgical know-how. Endometriosis is what we do: from adolescence, through the fertility years, to the premenopausal years.

Submitted January 20, 2018

Dr. Gargiulo was literally a life saver. He conducted a very difficult robotic surgery to remove my uterus and Fallopian tube because they were nonfunctional and causing me to have bad pain in my pelvis. Dr. Gargiulo had me in and out of the hospital in the same day. Life returned to normal in a few days. His bed-side manner and communication were excellent. You can tell he cares about his patients. If you are having problems with your uterus, Fallopian tubes, etc, please seek his advice!

flag | Submitted June 16, 2017

Dr. Antonio R. Gargiulo's response
I very much appreciate this extremely kind review. I recall the case, and would like to put it in the appropriate context. This was a young woman with an abnormal duplication of her reproductive tract. One side of her double uterus was also obstructed, causing an extremely painful accumulation of menstrual blood inside her body. As much as I enjoy reading about her great experience with us, I think that the larger merit goes to her gynecologist, who correctly diagnosed her in a timely fashion and referred her to Brigham and Women's Center for Infertility and Reproductive Surgery for the definitive treatment of this highly complex uterine pathology. We were able to preserve her non obstructed tube and uterus, so that she will be pain free and able to conceive and carry a pregnancy in the future. We have performed these delicate operations with robotic assistance since 2006. My reproductive surgery team at the Center for Robotic Surgery of BWH has performed over 1000 complex gynecologic operations since 2006. Robotic surgery allows us to perform microsurgery without opening the abdomen: well over 90% of our patients have returned home on the day of surgery. If open surgery has been proposed to you, please ALWAYS consider a consult with one of the robotic surgeons at BWH. We have been trailblazing robotic reproductive surgery since before the iPhone came out: our experience in this field has no match in the world.

Submitted January 28, 2018

I came to Dr. Gargiulo after my gynecologist recommended a laparoscopy to remove an ovarian cyst that was thought to be endometriosis. Uncomfortable with having my regular GYN perform a serious procedure with serious implications on me, I sought out the best I could. I doubt there's anyone better performing this surgery. I was a candidate for his recently published single-site robotic laparoscopy, and three weeks post-op am completely healed--with no scar. I only experienced minor discomfort for a few days after the operation, and am positive that Dr. Gargiulo did an impeccable job treating the condition while keeping my fertility intact. Before the surgery date, he met with me multiple times to discuss my symptoms, needs, and the details of the procedure. He consistently spoke to me as an intelligent human being with agency and an understanding of medicine and my body, which, somehow, I value even more than the literally perfect surgery he performed. Please make an appointment with him if you suspect you have endometriosis or cysts that need to be removed!

flag | Submitted October 2, 2016

I recently had a single-site robotic laparoscopic myomectomy procedure with Dr Gargiulo at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. I would like to share my experience for the benefit of anyone considering seeking advice or treatment for a similar condition. I was referred to Dr Gargiulo by my local gynaecologist after an ultrasound showed I had several fibroids which were giving my some symptoms. My main concern, however, was that my fertility might be affected. My gynaecologist suggested that I should be consulted by the 'Centre for Infertility and Reproductive Surgery’ at BWH as she was able to offer myomectomy only by open surgery which she thought might negatively affect my fertility. I am grateful for this decision. I arrived at the clinic feeling slightly apprehensive after rather a mixed bag of medical experiences in the US (I am not a native!). To give a little background, I am a scientist by trade and perhaps because of this I do not feel comfortable with any undertaking any procedure unless fully armed with facts. Upon arrival at my first consultation I was sat in the waiting room and given a recent journal article authored by Dr Gargiulo (music to my ears). So I arrived in Dr Garguilo’s office already feeling knowledgeable and could ask more detailed questions straight away. I left feeling fully informed went for further tests (MRI) which led to me having the myomectomy procedure to remove 2 fibroids (3 cm and 6 cm plus a smaller one). I cannot stress enough how impressed I was with the care I received at BWH on the day of surgery. The prospect of any complex surgical procedure is a little daunting but I honestly felt that the doctors. nursing staff, anaesthesiologists etc. could not have done more to keep me comfortable and at ease and I really do believe that this was a major factor in my speedy recovery. Speaking of which I was prepared for post-operative soreness and tiredness but actually I was back on my feet remarkably quickly. I only needed the narcotics for a day or so and then just used regular painkillers for another week. Within a few days I was walking around with no problems (I made a train journey by myself after 3 days!) and after 2 weeks I was pretty much back to normal with just some minor soreness around the incision site on my belly button. I had very little pelvic pain and have had none since. I am not an expert but I am fairly sure that the surgical skill of Dr Gargiulo was a major reason for lack of post-operative pain or complications. The fact that I was a candidate for the single site procedure (pioneered by BWH) was another significant factor. The follow-up appointments were equally as thorough and I walked away feeling like a huge burden had been lifted. I would urge anyone who is concerned about fibroids or already considering myomectomy to arrange a consultation at the Centre for Infertility and Reproductive Surgery at BWH.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2016

I had an enormous fibroid in my uterus. Other doctors were reluctant to try and get it out via robotic surgery. They thought there is a good chance that they'll have to switch to open surgery in the middle of the surgery. But Dr. Gargiulo told me that has done this surgery with such big fibroids many times before and had never had to switch to open surgery. He also told me he would most likely be able to repair the damage to my uterus, something that the other doctors were not quite sure about. In fact (and unfortunately) some doctors just recommend taking out the uterus, with cases of fibroid of this size. Mine was 17cm x 14cm x 12cm. I'm glad to say the surgery went well. I was home the same day. The first couple of days it was hard to get around the house but in less than a week I out and about (although a bit slowly). I was running and biking in less than a month.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2016

Dr. Gargiulo was extremely knowledgeable, kind and professional. I was referred to him over the summer when I was diagnosed with a 12cm fibroid. Dr. Gargiulo walked me through the entire procedure and reassured me that my fertility would remain intact. On the day of my surgery I was completely comfortable with my surgical team, and I will say that my recovery was extremely fast and surprisingly comfortable. Dr. Gargiulo made 4 small incisions, removed the fibroid, and I was on my way to recovery!

flag | Submitted February 17, 2016

It will be 3 months since my surgery and I feel great! After years of dealing with unpleasant fibroid symptoms, like heavy bleeding and constant bloating, I already notice a difference. My first period was light and short compared to previous ones. I am thrilled that I made the right decision to take the robotic-laparoscopic approach – it is life-changing. I am grateful to Dr. Antonio Garguilo and his staff at Brigham and Women's Hospital and in Exeter, NH. They made me feel like I was their only patient. They took such good care of me. Dr. Garguilo has a gentle and calm way about him that made me feel safe and protected immediately. It saddens me that I don't get to see them anymore but I guess its for my sake.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2015

Dr. Gargiulo is an excellent doctor & surgeon!!! I am a nurse myself and was very nervous to have surgery. I am also a mother of 2 small children 3 & 5 . I Had a large fibroid that needed to be removed. His expertise & kind way of explaining things in great detail makes you feel at ease. The staff in the office are wonderful. He also prepared me for the post op course as well. I underwent a Robotic assisted laparoscopic myomectomy. My recovery was great!! The nurses pre surgery & post op & his team were wonderful. The first 3 days consisted of resting & keeping up with some pain medication. Post op day # 5 , I was only taking Motrin & Tylenol & I had to remind myself I had a major surgery after a week. Dr. Gargiulo really is amazing at what he does!! I would recommend him to any one suffering from Fibroids & does not want a huge open abdominal surgery. Robotic surgery was great. My incisions are so tiny I can't even hardly see. Thanks Dr. Garguilo, I look forward to baby # 3 now.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015

I had never had surgery in any shape or form before so I was very nervous when my uterine fibroids became such a problem that surgery was the only relief. But after meeting Dr. Gargiulo and speaking to him as he explained my condition and the surgery, I had no doubt it would all be fine. He has a wonderful demeanor and explains everything so well you have nothing to be worried about. His staff is excellent, courteous and replies to any email or call immediately. Even though my surgery was delayed a little the day of, the hospital staff as well as Dr. Gargiulo's team was constantly at my side checking on me and keeping me updated. After the surgery, their care (hospital staff and nurses) as well as Dr. Gargiulo's, was nothing less than exceptional. I was left amazed at how he was able to remove that many fibroids through one single incision in my belly button which after 4 months is barely visible (if at all). I would highly recommend Dr. Gargiulo and his team to anyone needing his specialized care. My experience was so great that my sister also became a patient.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2015

Dr. Antonio R. Gargiulo's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

I have dedicated my entire medical career to the advancement of reproductive medicine, through high-impact basic and clinical investigation at Harvard Medical School. As a member of Brigham and Women's Hospital Center for Infertility and Reproductive Surgery since 1996, I have participated in the management of thousands of infertile couples through cutting-edge medical, laboratory and surgical treatments. I have pioneered robot-assisted reproductive surgery for uterine fibroids, endometriosis and fertility preservation, and am currently the Medical Director of Robotic Surgery for Brigham Health in Boston, MA and for Exeter Hospital, in Exeter, NH. I have cared for international patients for over two decades and have acted as a consultant for international fertility centers: I am therefore familiar with international laws and regulations, medications and sensitivities regarding fertility treatment in several nations. This peculiar experience has shaped my practice style to one of open-mindedness, flexibility and heightened cultural awareness. I have been a consultant for several high-technology companies, makers of surgical lasers and surgical robots, for many years. My involvement is highly regulated by Partners Health's and Harvard University's ethical requirements for interaction with industry. My patients consistently get the added benefit of a surgeon who is directly involved in shaping technological advancements in his specialty. My team consistently pushes the limits of what is technologically achievable in surgery.

• Spanish
  • Italian
  • French

• Università degli Studi di Napoli 'Federico II' (Grad. 1989)
  • University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (Grad. 1996)
  • Harvard University (Grad. 1998)

• Endometriosis