Ratings for Dr. Antonio R. Gargiulo

I recently had a single-site robotic laparoscopic myomectomy procedure with Dr Gargiulo at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. I would like to share my experience for the benefit of anyone considering seeking advice or treatment for a similar condition. I was referred to Dr Gargiulo by my local gynaecologist after an ultrasound showed I had several fibroids which were giving my some symptoms. My main concern, however, was that my fertility might be affected. My gynaecologist suggested that I should be consulted by the 'Centre for Infertility and Reproductive Surgery’ at BWH as she was able to offer myomectomy only by open surgery which she thought might negatively affect my fertility. I am grateful for this decision. I arrived at the clinic feeling slightly apprehensive after rather a mixed bag of medical experiences in the US (I am not a native!). To give a little background, I am a scientist by trade and perhaps because of this I do not feel comfortable with any undertaking any procedure unless fully armed with facts. Upon arrival at my first consultation I was sat in the waiting room and given a recent journal article authored by Dr Gargiulo (music to my ears). So I arrived in Dr Garguilo’s office already feeling knowledgeable and could ask more detailed questions straight away. I left feeling fully informed went for further tests (MRI) which led to me having the myomectomy procedure to remove 2 fibroids (3 cm and 6 cm plus a smaller one). I cannot stress enough how impressed I was with the care I received at BWH on the day of surgery. The prospect of any complex surgical procedure is a little daunting but I honestly felt that the doctors. nursing staff, anaesthesiologists etc. could not have done more to keep me comfortable and at ease and I really do believe that this was a major factor in my speedy recovery. Speaking of which I was prepared for post-operative soreness and tiredness but actually I was back on my feet remarkably quickly. I only needed the narcotics for a day or so and then just used regular painkillers for another week. Within a few days I was walking around with no problems (I made a train journey by myself after 3 days!) and after 2 weeks I was pretty much back to normal with just some minor soreness around the incision site on my belly button. I had very little pelvic pain and have had none since. I am not an expert but I am fairly sure that the surgical skill of Dr Gargiulo was a major reason for lack of post-operative pain or complications. The fact that I was a candidate for the single site procedure (pioneered by BWH) was another significant factor. The follow-up appointments were equally as thorough and I walked away feeling like a huge burden had been lifted. I would urge anyone who is concerned about fibroids or already considering myomectomy to arrange a consultation at the Centre for Infertility and Reproductive Surgery at BWH.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2016

I had an enormous fibroid in my uterus. Other doctors were reluctant to try and get it out via robotic surgery. They thought there is a good chance that they'll have to switch to open surgery in the middle of the surgery. But Dr. Gargiulo told me that has done this surgery with such big fibroids many times before and had never had to switch to open surgery. He also told me he would most likely be able to repair the damage to my uterus, something that the other doctors were not quite sure about. In fact (and unfortunately) some doctors just recommend taking out the uterus, with cases of fibroid of this size. Mine was 17cm x 14cm x 12cm. I'm glad to say the surgery went well. I was home the same day. The first couple of days it was hard to get around the house but in less than a week I out and about (although a bit slowly). I was running and biking in less than a month.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2016

Dr. Gargiulo was extremely knowledgeable, kind and professional. I was referred to him over the summer when I was diagnosed with a 12cm fibroid. Dr. Gargiulo walked me through the entire procedure and reassured me that my fertility would remain intact. On the day of my surgery I was completely comfortable with my surgical team, and I will say that my recovery was extremely fast and surprisingly comfortable. Dr. Gargiulo made 4 small incisions, removed the fibroid, and I was on my way to recovery!

flag | Submitted February 17, 2016

It will be 3 months since my surgery and I feel great! After years of dealing with unpleasant fibroid symptoms, like heavy bleeding and constant bloating, I already notice a difference. My first period was light and short compared to previous ones. I am thrilled that I made the right decision to take the robotic-laparoscopic approach – it is life-changing. I am grateful to Dr. Antonio Garguilo and his staff at Brigham and Women's Hospital and in Exeter, NH. They made me feel like I was their only patient. They took such good care of me. Dr. Garguilo has a gentle and calm way about him that made me feel safe and protected immediately. It saddens me that I don't get to see them anymore but I guess its for my sake.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2015

Dr. Gargiulo is an excellent doctor & surgeon!!! I am a nurse myself and was very nervous to have surgery. I am also a mother of 2 small children 3 & 5 . I Had a large fibroid that needed to be removed. His expertise & kind way of explaining things in great detail makes you feel at ease. The staff in the office are wonderful. He also prepared me for the post op course as well. I underwent a Robotic assisted laparoscopic myomectomy. My recovery was great!! The nurses pre surgery & post op & his team were wonderful. The first 3 days consisted of resting & keeping up with some pain medication. Post op day # 5 , I was only taking Motrin & Tylenol & I had to remind myself I had a major surgery after a week. Dr. Gargiulo really is amazing at what he does!! I would recommend him to any one suffering from Fibroids & does not want a huge open abdominal surgery. Robotic surgery was great. My incisions are so tiny I can't even hardly see. Thanks Dr. Garguilo, I look forward to baby # 3 now.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015

I had never had surgery in any shape or form before so I was very nervous when my uterine fibroids became such a problem that surgery was the only relief. But after meeting Dr. Gargiulo and speaking to him as he explained my condition and the surgery, I had no doubt it would all be fine. He has a wonderful demeanor and explains everything so well you have nothing to be worried about. His staff is excellent, courteous and replies to any email or call immediately. Even though my surgery was delayed a little the day of, the hospital staff as well as Dr. Gargiulo's team was constantly at my side checking on me and keeping me updated. After the surgery, their care (hospital staff and nurses) as well as Dr. Gargiulo's, was nothing less than exceptional. I was left amazed at how he was able to remove that many fibroids through one single incision in my belly button which after 4 months is barely visible (if at all). I would highly recommend Dr. Gargiulo and his team to anyone needing his specialized care. My experience was so great that my sister also became a patient.

flag | Submitted April 9, 2015

Dr . Gargiulo is an extremely considerate doctor, he values his patients and want to help them understand their options so they they can reach a decision. I value Dr. Gargiulo ' s knowledge, his patience in explaining the process and his compassion. He is an extremely intelligent doctor, I always felt at ease with him, he handled my case amazingly, he was always very prompt in replying to emails and clearing last minute doubts before surgery. We had declined the use of morcellation and so Dr. Gargiulo had to remove all my fibroids ranging from 12 cm to 7 cm from a small incision in the umbilicus, which was amazing surgical work. I can hardly see the incision it's so well done. I was scared that I would need a mini lapratomy as I had declined morcellator but Dr. Gargiulo with his excellent surgical skills removed the fibroids through a single small incision...He is an amazing surgeon and I would recommend him to every woman who needs to u del go this kind of surgery. Thank you Dr. Gargiulo. ..you rock!!!!

flag | Submitted July 29, 2014

I found out I had many fibroids, some of them massive, while I was pregnant with my first child. I suffered greatly through that pregnancy, but had my son safely by C-section at 37 weeks. Following his birth, complications from the fibroids which had grown during pregnancy worsened; pain, bleeding, bloating, sensitivity to the slightest touch, and ultimately I suffered a miscarriage with my second pregnancy at 12 weeks. I was referred to Dr. Gargiulo and BWH where he performed a myomectomy using the Da Vinci robot to remove about 10 of my fibroids. He recommended waiting 6-8 months before trying for another baby, but not long after that because fibroids grow back and I was approaching 35 y/o. We waited 7 months and got pregnant with out first attempt. I am now 35 weeks along, due on my 35th b-day. Dr. Gargiulo was kind, attentive, honest, supportive, very skilled and made me feel very secure. I would recommend him to anyone with similar health issues as I had.

flag | Submitted June 22, 2014

I would highly refer this doctor to my family members and friends. I had a very satisfactorily experience with the result of Dr. Garguilo performing an operation on me.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2014

I had very large uterine fibroids removed. Procedure was quick and easy. Dr. Gargiulo was delightful and very attentive. For recovery I employed the New England Rapid Recovery Center in NH, I was able to heal at such a rapid rate I nor my doctor could believe it. The NERR system had me off medications in a few days and in one week I was back to, feeling like nothing ever happened.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2014