Ratings for Dr. James Abel

Dr. Able saved my Life, Had Open Heart Surgery Aug 11 2010, Aorta valve replaced, single bypass Great Dr., The Best, Nelson Craigie , Surrey B.C.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2016

Dr Able in my experience is very friendly and approachable, he takes the time to explain what and why things are being done (not always the case with senior doctors). I was admitted to ER and first noticed him quietly standing in the background listening and quietly talking to the assessment team. I was surprised to later learn that such senior surgeon was on hand at this point. Initial tests looked as if major surgery may be required, however, after Dr Able instructed further scans this was found not to be necessary. I spent a few days being treated in the cardiac unit before being discharged, during that time I found the whole nursing team to friendly, engaged and professional in all respects .

flag | Submitted April 4, 2016

Dr. Able is both an outstanding surgeon and a very personable, friendly individual. Unlike many surgeons who to tend to project an air of near divinity, Dr. Abel is down-to-earth and seems to take a genuine interest in his patients. He takes the time to answer any and all questions and never makes you feel rushed. I had successful bypass surgery and I genuinely believe he saved my life. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted February 4, 2016

Very clear and concise when explaining the procedures. Very kind and understanding. I would highly recommend Dr Abel.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2013

I had a quintuple bypass after suffering pulmonary edema suddenly in October of 2012. Luckily, I was 2 blocks from St. Paul's and the ambulance had me there within a minute. I first met Dr. Abel several days after being admitted and after an angiogram, he advised me that I had multiple blockages and was an excellent candidate for OHS. The surgery was performed 2 days later and now, 6 months after surgery, I feel 20 years younger, have lost over 30 pounds and am probably in better shape than I have been in decades. Dr. Abel radiated calm assurance and is the reason I had the surgery without giving it more than a moment's thought. I am so thankful to him and the entire staff at St. Paul's (and the Canadian health care system) for the result. I would recommend Dr. Abel to anyone who needs to have cardiac surgery. I consider him one of the best doctors I have ever had the pleasure to meet.

flag | Submitted March 14, 2013

I can say I have never been more scared in my life. Just found out I have 2 arteries blocked 100%. Met Dr Abel in the recovery unit of the cardiac ward of St.Pauls H and was told i was need this operation immediately. Would have walked away if wasn't for him. He told me that I was young enough(46)that I wouled be a good canditate for speedy recovery. Today is 9/14/10, I hope to give you more later,after my surgery

flag | Submitted September 14, 2010

19 months since my husband passed away -I hope to God that a few things have changed since our experience.at St Paul's hospital and Dr. Able- I hope you Dr A became a little more human ,and compassionate that you were with our husband and father Since then I decided will never try to have surgery Also I will expect nothing from you,not even a I'm sorry for your loss"As you can tell Dr. Able my husband was VIP to his family and I will never forget this second experience at St. Paul's hospital-( my first one was my 24 years old son 1987. Every night i will be praying for all the good Drs nurses in I.C.U sorry Dr Able your name is never included in my prayers.

flag | Submitted July 17, 2010

Dr Abel was nothing but kind, professional and very knowledgeable. He made a very frightening situation something I would be able to conquer. I had concerns while in hospital and he was right there to ensure all issues were addressed. He calmed me and was involved in my post operative care while I was both in hospital and once at home. I did get a minor infection in hospital and it did lengthen recovery time, but this was not due to Dr. Abel's efforts and he was on the ball to ensure all my concerns were addressed immediately.

flag | Submitted July 7, 2010

Dr, Abel operated on my 85 yr old mother. She is doing extremely well. Thank you for all your patience, kindness and impeccable bedside manner. You are a brilliant surgeon and you have the best staff working with you. Thank you all.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2010

I had surgery with Dr. Abel in May 2009. I was scared to death - he was rather casual about this and couldn't understand my anxiety - however, I could not fault his knowledge, his competency and his professionalism. I was discharged on day three from open heart surgery - I think this doctor is a 10.........I highly recommend him, and his staff.

flag | Submitted December 2, 2009