Ratings for Dr. Ralph W. Gilbert

He is knowledge and confident. It seemed he is an experienced and competent doctor of ENT

flag | Submitted November 24, 2017

I feel that Dr. Ralph Gilbert is a used car salesman of medicine, lying to patients in order to earn profits from maiming them for life!

flag | Submitted November 1, 2017

I notice my rating for Dr. Ralph Gilbert has been taken down. I guess Dr. Gilbert didn't like it and was able to have it removed from this site. That speaks volumes. Dr. Gilbert only wants you to read the good reviews. Mine was not. Dr. Gilbert has ruined my life. I wish I never let him touch me. He made me believe that I needed the surgery, that my life depended on it. He said I was going to have a 100% recovery. Never happened. It feels as if I'm in a neck hold on one side and all this pulling every waking moment. It's unbearable to live like this. I talked to another patient of his who had a different surgery but same result. I suppose that's his stamp he leaves on his patients. It's over a year and a half and no improvement. I'm stuck living like this. I do not want to see this happen to another person. Please research as to whether you even need the surgery. I wish I did. I put my full trust in him which was a huge mistake. It's too late for me but not for you!

flag | Submitted October 29, 2017

In 2011 I was referred to Dr. Gilbert by my surgeon who told me my throat cancer had returned and that I needed someone better than him, I was astonished that a surgeon would utter those words. lol When you have recurrent throat cancer the usual protocols and treatment change. I met with Dr. Gilbert in March 2011 and he assured me that he could fix my problem....he would build new vocal cords, ones using tissue and veins from my head and additional tissue from my mouth. He explained the procedure, what was involved and advised me of my options. I opted for surgery. The surgery was lengthy, the hospital stay long, difficult for someone like me who rarely sits still. Eventually I healed, and ended up with a voice better than it had been. I have continued to see Dr. Gilbert every 6 months. This past June I was in for a checkup and mentioned numbness in my right arm, he immediately began to question me, when did it occur, how often etc.. I answered his questions and he explained that when you have extensive radiation therapy as I did when I had cancer the first time it can cause stenosis of the carotid arteries. Within 5 days I was having a Doppler ultrasound done which showed major problems. I was quickly seen by a vascular surgeon and within weeks had surgery to correct it. While in the hospital I had a few complications that had me concerned with my vocal cords and throat, my vascular surgeon told me everything looked great but I was still a little worried. Dr. Gilbert came and found me in the VCICU to have a look at my neck and to assure me that everything was ok. That's the caliber of doctor he is. Thankfully I am doing great. Thanks to Dr. Gilbert for being the caring and dedicated doctor that he is, he realized there could be a potential problem, a risk of stroke or worse and quickly had me seen by a colleague. I had been telling my family doctor about this for some time and she chalked it up to perhaps arthritis in the shoulder or a pinched nerve. Dr. Gilbert has been called "arrogant", and a number of other things and I find it hard to see that in him. Is he confident, yes he is and he should be, he has had years of hard work, dedication and countless hours of surgery, perfecting his skill; does he have confidence in his ability, I sure hope he does; does he tell it you straight, absolutely. When I was sent to Dr. Gilbert I was told he was the best, he was what I needed, that he had God's hands. I believed it then, I believe it today. Finally, a sincere and profound thank you to Stephanie (assistant extraordinaire) that always finds the time to answer my questions, keep Dr. Gilbert on track and keeps things running smoothly. I don't know how you manage it, but you do it well. Thanks!

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

I was referred to Dr. Gilbert of Princess Margaret Hospital 5 years ago by an ENT doctor in St. Michael's Hospital for the schwannoma in my neck. He assured me that Dr. Gilbert was the best and he was right. I felt comforted right from the beginning because Dr. Gilbert was compassionate, caring and honest. When I asked if I should remove the schwannoma, he said it's my decision, when I asked for his expert opinion, he said he would have said yes when he was much much younger but with experiences and the risks involved, he suggested we monitor the schwannoma and only do the surgery when absolutely necessary. He then told me signs to look for and that I should contact him as soon as I see any change. I have been seeing him once a year since and I feel truly blessed that I have him as my doctor.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2017

Dr. Gilbert is the most honest, talented, caring surgeon you could ever imagine. There are several recent posts on this site which I feel are written by the same disgruntled person, and border on libel. Trust me, if you have been referred to Dr. Gilbert, you are very fortunate to have been referred to the very best. If Dr. Gilbert can't help you, nobody can. He discusses with you exactly what he is going to do and the expected outcome.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2017

Great Doctor! Highly recommend him. Great bedside manners.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2017

Amazing Doctor and down to earth guy ! He tells you exactly the facts and nothing else. after 2 operations for basal cell carcinoma on my nose done by Dr. gilbert my nose looks AMAZING ! Great Doctor and great staff all around . Thank you Dr. Gilbert M. Roy

flag | Submitted April 19, 2017

As well as a surgeon, Dr. Gilbert is a great actor. He also does not follow through with what he tells you. He's very charming in person but is not true to his word and accepts no accountability to the point of lying at your expense. You do not see it coming as you would never expect a surgeon let alone any doctor to lie about your condition having worsened. Beware.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

Dr.Gilbert is undoubtedly very skilled and highly professional. He takes time to provide answers to any questions asked patiently without rushing in spite of his busy schedule. He is very caring, and compassionate.

flag | Submitted February 19, 2017