Ratings for Dr. Karen T. Look Kin

I have been going to Dr. Look Kin for years because I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt as she was a relatively young doctor pretty much straight out of her residency. However, I shouldn't have given her so many chances. All the reviews on here are 100% accurate. She has sent me on SO MANY unnecessary tests that I suspect she just does so she can bill OHIP more for follow ups. She also doesn't really have any knowledge her own or any confidence in who she is as a doctor- this can probably be attributed to the fact that she got her medical degree in the Caribbean. She can't just make a simple diagnosis and give you the medication you need and send you on your way- she almost always sends you to a specialist for a problem that could easily been treated in her office. It's a shame she's such a bad doctor because the staff in her practice are really great but unfortunately the practice doesn't allow you to switch doctors within the practice so I will be looking for a new family doctor elsewhere.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2018

Have always found Dr. Look Kin to be very caring and thorough with me.

flag | Submitted May 1, 2018

I saw Dr. Lookin several years ago, and have never forgotten my experience with her. At the time I was suffering from serious anxiety and depression. I recall sobbing as I sat in her office and tried to explain my symptoms. I was crying so hard I could barely talk. I felt a little embarrassed about my gush of emotions, and my inability to control them. I was looking for some compassion and understanding. I asked Dr. Lookin if she had ever experienced anything like this. She replied that my question was irrelevant, and it didn't matter if she had any similar history to me. While I look back on this experience and agree my question was irrelevant, it was clear that I was not thinking straight, and just needed some tenderness. Unfortunately for me, Dr. Lookin had none to give. She was robotic in her management of the situation. She looked at her computer and typed up a prescription for me, which eventually helped to relieve me of my symptoms. I still attend the clinic where she once worked. The admin staff are lovely. Dr. Lookin, not so much. Fortunately, she is no longer at this clinic.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2018

The negative reviews are all 100% accurate. She misdiagnosed my daughters concussion, even though she knew my daughter was struck by a car as a pedestrian. It took her over a year to believe me when I kept informing her that something was wrong. She just typed notes, & told us to avoid gluten. A year later the hospital I begged her to refer us to, found an undiagnosed concussion but by then the depression and pain was driving my child to commit suicide. It’s been an terrifying and horrible battle. Do not take your children to this woman. She does not care about health unless she can profit off it. The clinic she is in won’t let you switch dr, so it took us awhile before we found another. Our new dr is the exact opposite of Dr lookin, we are treated as humans not just a paid OHIP appt.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2018

I was so fortunate Dr. Look Kin was taking new patients when I needed a GP. She has been absolutely thorough, compassionate and skilled. Anyone would be very well served to have her as their Dr.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2017

I am shocked to see some of the comments below regarding Dr Look Kin. I've been going to her for 10 years and have always found her to be very helpful and diligent in ensuring all bases are covered if I have a concern and for overall general checkups. Sure, she sends people for tests, but I'd much rather that, than her tell me I have nothing to worry about and have it turn out to be something to be concerned about. I've found her manner to be very professional and thorough. She may not always seem like she's listening, but she is. She is rushed, but that's because I believe she is spread thin with the number of patients needing to see her. Overall, I've always found her to be sincere, pleasant and thorough.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2017

I am extremely disappointed with Dr. Look Kin for many reasons. First of all, she sent me for a breast ultrasound because of a lump she had found on exam. The ultrasound was normal yet she requested serial ultrasounds every 6 months as she had stated my mother had passed away from breast cancer. This was infact FALSE. There has been no breast cancer in my family. The fact that she did not review my chart prior to calling me urgently for follow up was concering. Also, her clerical had verified I was due for my annual pap. The appointment was booked. When I showed up, she was 30 minutes late for my appointment and when she came into the room she reviewed my chart and said that there was a mistake and I was not due for another week. She refused to do my pap unless I paid for it eventhough it was her staff who confirmed the date! When I asked what the price was, she said she didn't know and I'd have to wait for the bill to come from the billing department. She is extremely rude and defensive not to mention unprofessional.

flag | Submitted April 29, 2016

Glad the previous reviewer likes Dr. Look Kin but the reviewer admitted she has (gratefully) no persistent undiagnosed disease. Any doctor can treat a simple cold and conduct an annual physical - and in those cases, I admit Dr. Look Kin's lack of bedside manners and diagnostic skills would not be obvious. No one can fault Dr. Look Kin for her note taking skills - she might have even got 100% in her written exams in medical school. The real test, however, is when you suffer from a chronic illness. Dr. Look Kin can keep notes the length of a novel and send you to 5 specialists, but she doesn't know how to diagnose or develop a treatment plan. When one (or one's child or close family member) suffers from a chronic illness, believe me, one would not be as charitable when the doctor does not make eye contact, let alone examine the problem area carefully (be it one's knee or a mole on the chest), but instead, looks straight at her computer and asks you to slow down so she can finish typing. It's almost like the note taking becomes an end in itself, and the diagnosis and treatment become secondary. One time she did a test, and asked me to call her back in a week to remind her to review my test result (I am not making this up)! So in response to the last reviewer, I believe Dr. Look Kin is totally capable of treating minor ailments and doing annual physicals, but then, I believe a qualified RN can do the same. But god forbid you or someone you love have a chronic condition or serious illness, that's the real test and I'll let the rest of the negative reviews speak for themselves.

flag | Submitted June 7, 2015

WOW. I've been seeing Dr. Look Kin for 3 years. She's been nothing but lovely to me over that time... and I mean genuinely lovely. I don't have a persistent undiagnosed disease, but I've never felt that she was flip about my health or the health of my son... In fact, what I like most about her is that she's careful and covers all the bases all the time. Whenever I've called for my toddler, the office has always made time to see us immediately. She does keep very precise notes (which some might call staring at the computer) and I appreciate that as I don't always remember every little detail of a non emergency medical event from 6 months ago. It really pains me to see when people are so bloody critical about someone who's very clearly invested so much time to do what they do. I don't believe this is the case about Dr. Look Kin, but in general, I try not to judge the social skills of doctors because when I was in school honing mine, they were studying medicine.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

Agree with what everyone is saying. I left because she wasn't taking my issues seriously. Had to go for over a year regarding one issue before she would take it seriously. Stares at computer and types instead of looking at you which is very off-putting.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2015

Dr. Karen T. Look Kin's Credentials

Please call the Doctor's office to find out if your insurance plan is accepted.