Dr. Darryl Hodgkinson's Credentials
Accepting New Patients
Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients
Dr. Darryl J. Hodgkinson is recognized world-wide as an expert in cosmetic plastic surgery with more than thirty years of experience in both cosmetic and plastic/reconstructive surgery. Dr. Hodgkinson did his plastic surgical training at the prestigious Mayo Clinic in the United States and is amongst an elite group of a very few surgeons to hold two degrees in plastic surgery from American Board of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons and the Royal College of Surgeons, Canada. Dr. Hodgkinson is a past President of the Australasian College of Cosmetic Surgery and currently on their Board of Censors. He also serves on the Scientific Committee of the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS), is a Section Editor for the journal Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, is an invited member of the International Consortium of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ICAPS) as well as being a member of many other professional societies including the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the Rhinoplasty Society, the Lipoplasty Society of North America and the Priestly Society. Dr. Hodgkinson has published over 65 articles and continues to contribute by traveling the world giving lectures and courses in cosmetic and aesthetic plastic surgery at congresses and to societies. This includes the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, the International Consortium of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons, the French, German and other national societies of cosmetic and plastic surgery. Dr. Hodgkinson is also the Founder and a Director of Operation Restore Hope Australia. This Australian based charity draws on the talents of medical professionals from all over the world to educate medical professionals and care for children in the Philippines with cleft lip and palate. Operation Restore Hope has now provided cleft lip and palate surgery to nearly 3,000 children and other medical services to many, many more whom without charity would have gone unaided.
- University of Sydney (Grad. 1971)
Areas of Expertise
Awards & Recognitions
- University of Sydney, Anatomy Prosectorship, 1967
- University of Sydney, Ophthalmology, 1971
- Best Discusser, 19th Chief Residents Conference, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, April, 1980
- Ohmori Lecture, OSAPS 2008
Publications & Research
- Hodgkinson, D.J. and Tracy, G.D.: Upper Limb Emboli, A.N.Z. Journal Surgery, No. 2, p. 139-143, May 1975.
- Hodgkinson, D.J. and Lord, R.S.L. : Haemorrheological Causes of Transient Ischaemic Attacks, (Abstr), A.N.Z. Journal Surg., No.1, February 1975.
- Hodgkinson, D.J. and Woods, J.E.: The Influence of Facial Nerve Sacrifice in Surgery of Malignant Parotid Tumours, J. of Surg. Oncology 8:425-432, 1976
- Hodgkinson, D.J. and Woods, T.J.: Endometrial Carcinoma in Immuno-suppressed Patient, J. of Gynaecologic Oncology, 5: 308 – 132, 1977.
- Mendelson, B.C., Hodgkinson, D.J. and Woods, J.E.: Carcinoma of Floor of the Mouth, Surg. Cl. of North Am., Vol. 157:585-596, 1977.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., ReMine, W.H., and Weiland, L.H.: Pancreatic Cystadenoma, A Clinicopathologic Study of 45 Cases. Ach. of Surg. 113:512-519, April 1978.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., Woods, J.E., Dahlin, D.C. and Tolman, D.E.: Keratocysts of the Jaw, Cancer, 41:803-813, 1978.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., Irons, G.B. and Williams, T.J.: Chemical Burns and Skin Preparation Solutions, Surg., Gyn., Obst., 147:534-536, 1978.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., ReMine, W.H. and Weiland, L.H.: Cystadenocarcinoma of the Pancreas, Annals of Surg., Vol. 188, No.5, p. 679, 1979.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Anatomical Aspects of Body Sculpturing: Prevention of Deep Venous Thrombosis After Abdominoplasty, Chapters to be included in Body Image – A Surgical perspective by F.M; Grazer, J. Klingbeil, C.V. Mosby Co., St. Louis, December, 1979.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., McIlrath, D.C.: Scrotal Reconstruction of Giant Inguinal Hernias, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, 57:383-386, 1982.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Doxorubicin Extravasation Injuries ( letter to the Editor), Journal of Hand Surgery, 8: 498, 1983.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Umbilicoplasty: Conversion of an “Outie” to an “Innie”, Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 7:221-222, 1983.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Chapters Management of Burns, Facial Trauma, Australian Handbook of Emergency Medicine, editor Dr. G. Guide, 1987.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Plastic Surgery in Nepal, A Different Kind of Diplomacy, 222-225, 1987.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: The Place for Cosmetic Surgery, Part I, The Face Modern Medicine, Australia Vol 36 p. 32-42 1993.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Buckled Upper Pole Breast Style 410 Implant presenting as a Manifestation of Capsular Contraction – Aesth. Plast. Surg. 23:279-281, 1999.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Imagined ugliness: a symptom which can become a disorder – Med J Aust 2001; 174: 3, 156.
- Hodgkinson, D.J: Cosmetic Surgery – Letter to the Editor Med J Aust, October 21, 2002, Vol.177: Number 8, 461
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: “Keloids and Hypertrophic Scars – Prevention and Management in General Practice” – Medicine Today, Volume 5, Number 12, 47-49, 2004
- Hodgkinson, D. J. : Identifying the Body Dysmorphic Patient in Aesthetic Surgery in Aesthetic Surgery of the Facial Mosaic, Edited by Dimitrije E. Panfilov, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2007 p.83-8
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: “Experience with Facelifting after Failed Barbed Sutures” American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery 26: 11-13, 2009
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: “Innovations for delivering better patient outcomes” Journal of Cosmetic Surgery & Medicine 7(1), 2012
- Grazer, F.M., Heinrichs, H. and Hodgkinson, D.J.: Aesthetic Aspects of Breast Reduction in Symposium, on Aesthetic Surg. of the Breast, ed. by J. Owsley, R. Peterson, Mosby Co. St Louis, 1978.
- Irons, G.B., Hodgkinson, D.J., Chong, G.C. and Woods, J.E.: Pentazocine Ulceration, Annals of Plastic Surg., Vol.2, No.4, April 1979.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., Soule, E.H. and Woods, J.E.: Cutaneous Angiosarcoma of the Head and Neck, Cancer 44: 1000-1113, 1979.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., Masson, J.K.: Rapid Mounting of Skin Grafts on Mechanical Skin Mesher, Annals of Plastic Surgery, 4: 381, 1980.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., Irons, G.B.: Newer Applications of the Cross-Leg Flap, Annals of Plastic Surgery, 4:381, 1980.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., Telander, R.L., Sheps, S.D. & Gilchrist, G.S. Extra-Adrenal Intrathoracic Functioning Paragangliomas in Childhood Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Vol. 55:271, 1980.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., Arnold, P.G.: External Oblique Chest Wall Reconstruction, Brit. Journal of Plastic Surgery, 33:216-220, 1980.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Subungual Osteochondroma, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 74(6): 833-834, 1984.
- Hodgkinson, D.J: Cosmetic Surgery Part 1: popular procedures for the face. Reprinted in Medical Progress – Hong Kong based MediMedia publication – September 2001
- Arnold, P.G., Hodgkinson, D.J.: The Extensor Digitorum Turn-Down Muscle Flap, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Vol 66, 1980.
- Hodgkinson, D.J., Shepard, G.H.: Coverage of Exposed Gore-Tex Dialysis Graft with Local Sublimis Myocutaneous Flap, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 69:1010, 1983.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: The Pectoralis Major Myocutaneous Flap for Intraoral Reconstruction: A Word of Warning, British Journal of Plastic Surgery 35:80-81, 1982.
- Shepard, G.H., Hodgkinson, D.J.: Lateral V-Y Advancement Flaps for Reconstruction of Fingertip Deformities, Plastic Surgical Forum 5, p. 121-122, 1983.
- Hodgkinson, D.J. and Shepard, G.H.: Muscle, Myocutaneous and Fasciocutaneous Flaps in Forearm Reconstruction, Annals of Plastic Surgery, 10:400-407, 1983.
- Shepard, G.H., Hodgkinson, D.J., Lake, J.L. and Gray, A.: New Vaccine at the Ready in Rabies Risk, Virginia Medical, 110:340-342, 1983.
- Hodgkinson, D.J. and McIlrath, D.C.: Scrotal Reconstruction for Giant Inguinal Hernias, Surgical Clinics of North America, 64(2):307-313, 1984.
- Hodgkinson, D.J. and Hait, G.: Aesthetic Vaginal Labioplasty, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 74(3):414-416, 1984.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Medial Thighplasty Prevention of Scar Contracture and Labial Flattening, Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 13: 111-114, 1989.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Chest Wall Deformities and Their Correction in Bodybuilders, Annals of Plastic Surgery, Vol 25. p. 181-187, 1990.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: The Olecranon Bone Graft for Nasal Augmentation Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Vol. 16 p. 129, 1992.
- Hodgkinson, D. J.: The Place for Cosmetic Surgery, Part II, Body Contouring Modern Medicine, Australia Vol 36 p. 66-78 1993.
- Hodgkinson, D.J. and Lam, Q: Personal Review Expansion techniques after Mohs’ surgery on the face – Aust J of Dermatol (2001) 42, 9-14.
- Hodgkinson D.J: Facial Atrophy in HIV-Related Fat Redistribution Syndrome: Anatomic Evaluation and Surgical Reconstruction – Letter in Annals of Plastic Surgery, Vol p. 328, 2003
- Hodgkinson, D.J. and Tavakoli, K.: The Use of Mimetic Musculature in Facial Reconstruction Australasian Journal of Dermatology (1994) 21, 63-74
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Cosmetic Surgery – Aspects of facial reconstruction after the resection of skin malignancies. Modern Medicine, Australia Vol 39, Number 9, September 1996.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Reconstruction of the upper lip with lip switch (Abbe flap reconstruction) Surgery Corner, Australasian Journal of Dermatology (1997) 38, 97-98
- Hodgkinson, D. J. : Chest Wall Implants: Their Use for Pectus Excavatum, Pectoralis Muscle Tears, Poland’s Syndrome and Muscular Insufficiency, Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 21:7-15, 1997
- Hodgkinson, D.J. : Suturing Techniques – Practical Guidelines for general practitioners – The Journal of Clinical Medicine – Modern Medicine Volume 40, Numbers 8-11 August to October 1997.
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: “The Contour Restoration of the Upper Limb using Solid Silicone Implants” Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 30, 53-58, 2006
- Hodgkinson, D.J.:”Total Neck Rejuvenation Using a Modified Fogli Approach and Selective Resection of Anterior Platysmal Bands” Journal of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 41 (2014) 73-80
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: Body Implants – State of the Art – Chapter in European Text Book of Plastic Surgery – edited by Prof. Dr. med. G. Lemperle.
- Hodgkinson, D.J: Cosmetic Surgery Part 1: popular procedures for the face. Cosmetic Surgery Part 2: popular procedures for body enhancement. Medicine Today (Peer Reviewed Article) April-May 2001, Vol 2 Numbers 4/5, 1-16
- Hodgkinson, D.J: Re: Tuberous Breast Deformity: Principles and Practice – Letter in Annals of Plastic Surgery, Vol 47 No.1 p. 97-98, 2001
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: The Management of Anterior Chest Wall Deformity in patients presenting for Breast Augmentation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, April 15, 2002 Vol 109 Number 5, 1714-1723.
- Darryl J. Hodgkinson – “Smoking cessation and elective surgery: the cleanest cut” : Letter to Editor, The Medical Journal of Australia, Vol 181 No. 5, Sep 2004 page 283.
- Hodgkinson, D.J & Tiong, J.: “Skin Lifting in Aesthetic Cervicofacial Rhytidectomy: Personal Experience in more than 1,500 patients” – Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, Volume 3, 16-22, 2004
- Hodgkinson D. J.: “Identifying the Body Dysmorphic Patient in Aesthetic Surgery” – Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 29, 503-509, 2005
- Hodgkinson, D.J, Collins, A, McKellar, G – “A Decade of Operation Restore Hope” – Ann Roy Australas Coll Dent Surg 2002: 16: 135-13
- Hodgkinson, D.J. : “The Eurasian Nose: Aesthetic Principles and Techniques for Augmentation of the Asian Nose with Autogenous Grafting” Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 31: 28-31, 2007
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: “Clinical Applications of Radiofrequency – Non Surgical Skin Tightening (Thermage)” Clinics of Plastic Surgery 36: 261-268, 2009
- Hodgkinson, D.J.: “Five-Year Experience with Modified Fogli (Loré’s Fascia Fixation) Platysmaplasty” Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 36(1): 28-40, 2012
- Hodgkinson, D.J.:”Facial self-mutilation – Case report of partial nasal self-amputation under the intoxication of Chronic Crystal Meth-amphetamine (ICE) use” Journal of Cosmetic Surgery & Medicine 7(2), 2013
- Hodgkinson, D.J.:”Differences in Eyelids and Eyebrows as Represented Pictorially in the Meiji Period of the Japanese Government Compared with the Post-War Periods” Journal of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery 37(3), 2013
- Autoderm: An alternative Option for Immediate Primary Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy – A Case Report. The American Journal of Cosmetic Surgery Vol. 32, No 2, 2015. PP 77-84
Insurance accepted by this Doctor
- Coventry Health Care