Ratings for Dr. Gary P. Monkarsh

flag | Submitted February 1, 2017

I highly recommend seeing Dr. Monkarsh if you are looking for a kind, caring, and knowledgeable psychologist. He was the first therapist to understand how my abuse history and PTSD have negatively affected my relationships. He has such kind, caring eyes, and with his wonderful golden retriever therapy dog, helps me feel safe as I talk about my past traumas. He has helped me end abusive relationships and begin healthy ones. For the first time in my life, I feel optimistic about my future because of my therapy with Dr. Monkarsh.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2017

Dr. Monkarsh has an amazing ability to treat anxiety disorders with a combination of meditation and hypnosis. My daughter was in a terrible accident and refused to get into a car. Since he treated her with two meditation sessions she was able to return to driving in a car without any significant anxiety symptoms. It was truly an amazing transformation.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2017

Dr.Monkarsh is the nicest man I have ever met. He treated my son with amazing care. He is a phenomenal man. He can always resolve issues when I see him. He has made a positive impact on my life. If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be in good shape. I am truly grateful for him

flag | Submitted December 27, 2016

Staff was fine, but Dr. Monkarsh exhibited strainedcirdiality and friendliness. He blamed my daughter for damaging the crayons meant for children tonuse, and made a point of making her feeling bad, when she hadn't damaged his crayons at all. (Really? Making a point of publicly shaming a three year old for a few broken crayons?) And it wasn't her fault, because I brought my own! And he was rather harsh in all of his interactions with her (he was treating her, My husband, and myself). I got the vibe from his staff that the way he treated us was not unusual, or the first time that they had seen or experienced his impatience and irritability on display. Steer clear if you have kids, or expect any empathy from your doctor.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2016

Dr. Monkarsh was the most genuine, kind, and caring therapist I have ever met. I could tell he gave everything he had to try to help me fix my problems. I always knew he cared about my situation, and easily put himself in my shoes. Dr. Monkarsh did great counseling with my family. He never showed he favored one family member over the other. My family all felt he cared equally about all of us. We knew he had the best of intentions for us all, and he was incredibly knowledgeable about health, communication, and solving common problems of everyday life. My family has issues with depression, anxiety, and ADHD kids, and he was able to effectively treat all of these problems. I would recommend him highly.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2015

My lawyer sent me to Dr. Monkarsh for a evaluation after some very serious accusations from my ex-wife as we were going through a divorce. Dr. Monkarsh was very thourough and he carefully listened to all my key points and was able to write a very convincing argument on my behalf. His testimonial paper was bulletproof and I can now visit my daughter without any supervision. I would highly recomend Dr. Monkarsh!!!!

flag | Submitted January 9, 2015

I saw Dr. Monkarsh for a specific reason: during our original phone call he quoted me a specific fee and anticipated number of sessions. Nothing he told me has happened. It cost me far more than he said and sadly nothing got done. I felt worse after every session. Finally he sent me home with an assignment that was impossible for me to do: paradoxically the very reason I sought his care. I don't think he heard 1/4 of what I was saying.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2014

I am a personal injury and long term disability lawyer in Portland. For over two years I have referred my clients who suffer from depression, anxiety or post traumatic stress disorder to Dr. Monkarsh for treatment and medical substantiation of their claims. He is through in is work, compassionate in demeanor, generous with his time, conscientious and is willing to adjust fees for persons experiencing financial hardship. Dr. Monkarsh’s detailed reports have been extremely effective tools, helping my clients obtain just financial compensation. My clients consistently report their satisfaction and appreciation for his expertise and ability to effectively assess and treat their suffering. Dr. Monkarsh is among the very best---clinically and terms of true caring. I continue to refer to him without hesitation. I give Dr. Monkarsh my highest recommendation and full endorsement.

flag | Submitted April 17, 2013

What can I say about Gary Monkarsh? In short he is compassionate, relate-able, and understanding. He tells me what I need to hear that I've overlooked in my situation, and has reminded me of psychology terms I've forgotten. His office is relaxing, and he really lets you put what's troubling you on the table. In that respect getting started is always easy because it's kind of the typical "And how does that make you feel?". Yet after that it really becomes a very communicative feel. I'm given a new perspective on my situation, and given suggestions & tools to work with my problems. We spend out life putting our self under a microscope, and he has helped me pull myself back out. The pay is cheep, the hours nice, and the help is what you need not just what you want to hear.

flag | Submitted March 23, 2013