Ratings for Dr. Mark C. Ballard

I started seeing dr. Ballard with my 4th pregnancy. I am very impressed with his knowledge and kindness of his staff. I feel totally comfortable in his hand more so than I did with any other dr. I have seen

flag | Submitted May 4, 2016

Amazing doctor took care of me with all 3 babies!

flag | Submitted September 22, 2015

I saw Dr Ballard for the first time last week. I have seen a lot of doctors over the years, and Dr Ballard was the most thorough and caring doctor I have ever seen. I was referred to him by my regular doctor, and was nervous about seeing a male gynecologist, since I had female doctors for my babies. He put me at ease immediately on meeting him. His explanation of my condition was in terms of what I could understand and he didn't give me a bunch of "doctor talk". I have already referred two people to his office. Also, his nurse, Kayla, is awesome.

flag | Submitted April 24, 2014

I absolutely loved Dr. Ballard. Reading the other reviews, yes, he has a very different sense of humor. You will either love him or hate him. I found his dry humor refreshing and always knew when he was joking or being serious. I had an external version to turn my breech son done by him and he was very careful and caring of my feelings. He was an hour late to the procedure though so I'm not saying he's perfect. A week later he then performed my c-section and did a fantastic job. He may make a few jokes here and there, but this man knows how to do his job very well and is very trustworthy. My only actual complaint about him is that he is a very strong man with large hands, and I would often be in pain from my exams.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2014

I was referred to Dr. Ballard for a high risk pregnancy and because of his bedside manner I switched to Dr. Smagel. Dr. Ballard performed my second amnio and was very crude. He kept missing and had to poke the needle a dozen times before he got it. He denied me a local during the procedure. When I went in with labor problems three days later I looked as if I had been punched in the stomach and was bruised all over.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2013

As a male, it is a little awkward the first time your wife goes to see a male ob/gyn. Dr. Ballard is a professional doctor and very thorough. He was very knowledgeable and when he saw the slightest hint of something wrong, he immediately said we should consult a specialist. Yes, he is very busy, but he always made time to check results and make sure that everything was going ok. I had no complaints as a male going through this whole process with my wife and I would definitely make sure doctor Ballard is our ob/gyn for any future children.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2012

I had to wait nearly an hour before Dr. Ballard came into the room. There was a problem with my ultrasound and while discussing the results with me he made it seem that the problem would work itself out but when I questioned him about it he admitted it didn't look good. I felt like he was trying to sugar coat the problem instead of giving me real, helpful answers. During this time his cell phone kept ringing/receiving texts and he would stop the conversation, get out his phone, check it and then comment to me about it. I was extremely frustrated and did not feel valued at all. The staff also seemed to ignore me. I was told I needed a referral to a specialist and it took them a week to get the referral done only to have it done incorrectly so my insurance company denied it. I definitely was NOT impressed with my experiences with this office!

flag | Submitted April 24, 2012

I liked Dr. Ballard when I saw him until the end of my pregnancy, which was 7 years ago. He seemed to be caring and was pleasant enough. When I went for my last checkup before my baby was born, he was supposed to do a cervical check and swept my membranes without my permission. This put me into labor, and, of course, he went out of town that night. The birth ended up being a c-section with another doctor. What bothered me is that he actually recommended that when I give birth again, I should induce at 37 weeks. If I had done that, my daughter would have been tiny. He should know that VBAC patients shouldn't be induced, as it increases the odds of uterine rupture. I did go on to have a home birth in a different state, which was a completely different (much, much better) experience. He was just the typical OB who wants to induce for no reason.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2011

Since my Dr was not avaliable when I went to deliver, I had to see the 'on call' Dr Ballard who was absolutely TERRIBLE! The nurses paged him for over an hour and he never returned their calls. Finally about 1.5 hrs later, he showed up...nasty~grungy looking then just sat there! Looking like Johnny Bench~staring at me. Didn't have much to say and was rather rude to the nursing staff, myself and my family who was trying to help me.

flag | Submitted September 28, 2011

I was going to use this physian for my 2nd pregnancy. I scheduled 3 weeks in advance and got a call the next week about how there was a surgery that was scheduled after I made the appointment in my time frame. So I rescheduled. I just received another call about how there was a death of a patient so I won't be seen a day in about 2 weeks either. I would definatly not go here if you expect to be treated like a valued paying customer.

flag | Submitted March 11, 2011

Dr. Mark C. Ballard's Credentials

• University Of South Dakota School Of Medicine (Grad. 1993)

HealthPartners