Ratings for Dr. Jacob Karsh

Only ONE word to describe this doctor. TERRIBLE. He was extremely rude, condescending, not helpful AT ALL and didn't answer or address ANY of my questions. I waited almost a year to see a rheumatologist. My appointment with Dr. Karsh was a total waste of time. If you have an upcoming appointment with this 'doctor'... my advice: do yourself a favour and cancel your appointment. It will be a waste of your time. I can't believe our medical system allows such individuals to see patients. What an embarrassment. He has no bedside matters, he is not helpful (at all). He didn't even take the time to examine my affected joints. I would not call this individual a 'specialist'?!?! I left this appointment with absolutely no guidance, no information as to how I should treat my severe progressing arthritis. The only thing he told me: if you have pain, take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pills to control the pain. There was nothing else he could offer me. WHAT?!?!? I'm only in my early 40's and was hoping to find out what my options are to help with my situation, to find out why I'm affected by arthritis at such a young age and what my 'situation/arthritis' might look like down the road (progression, what to expect, etc..). Apart from this arthritis, I'm a healthy, very active person. I received NO information, NO answers, NO guidance to any of my questions I had prepared for this appointment. It was A HUGE disappointment and a TOTAL waste of my time. The other comments posted on this site also attest to how terrible this doctor Karsh is....

Submitted September 5, 2017

After an 8-months wait time to consult a rheumatologist, for severe swollen and disjointed fingers, getting worse every year. I finally got my well-awaited appointment, with Dr. Karsh. What a disaster!!! I have never, ever been treated in such a bad and disrespectful way. It was as if I was disturbing his day to got in for a consultation. He was rude, incompetent and simply useless. He spent less than 2 minutes with me in the consultation room, did not even look at my fingers, simply said that there is nothing he can do for me, have osteorthrisis and I should go home and take anti- inflammatory and just deal with it. No advice, no guidance, no protocol, nothing. He barely spoke, just looked at me with nothing to offer. OMG, what a joke for a medical consultation. It's a real disgrace to be treating patient like this. . This doctor appears simply frustrated to be working and he should not be practicing medicine and meeting patients. Dr. Karsh is absolutely awful and a total waste of time.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2017

I requested to be transferred to another rheumatologist after a few years with Dr. Karsh. I was not impressed, he was not at all helpful. I was helped much more by my previous rheumatologist in my old city who was much less dismissive and defensive when questioned.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2017

Found this doctor less than helpful. Waited six months for an appointment. No further tests were suggested by him. Just said to continue with my family doctor. A total waste of time!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2017

Nice man. Easy to talk to. My situation is stable and not complicated.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2017

I cannot evaluate his skill and knowledge, hopefully it is good because his bedside manner is not so good. Condescending and seemed to perceive my questions to clarify my condition as questioning his knowledge? hmm after all these years why so insecure, or just maybe tired of people. In any event made me feel terrible just for trying to understand my disease, which although may not be that serious in his estimate, is serious to me.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2015

I have no doubt that Dr Karsh is an excellent researcher and, in all likelihood, a good physician... but unfortunately, he has not been able to help me much. I suppose that in the realm of rheumatology - things are not always straightforward.

flag | Submitted August 21, 2015

Dr. Jacob Karsh is an excellent doctor. He is highly knowledgeable in the field of rheumatology with years of research, teaching, and clinic experience. His patient care is exemplary. Through being supportive, kind, and calming, he somehow normalizes these devastating diseases. He communicates clearly and has true empathy for his patients. He is responsible in treatment plans recognising the unique requirements and responses of individual patients. The staff at the clinic are always very helpful and respectful.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2014

I enjoy my visits with Dr. Karsh. We normally go over my test results and medications, speak openly about my health status, how my treatments are progressing and he takes time to explain things and answers my questions whenever he can. We also discuss research and upcoming medications sometimes. He always shares a smile. :)

flag | Submitted August 14, 2013

I saw Dr. Karsh for an uncommon and atypical autoimmune condition which is always fatal without treatment. I needed straightforward information on mortality rates in order to make informed treatment decisions. Dr. Karsh was reluctant to give me straightforward information and appeared to resent having an informed patient. Perhaps some of his patients, the majority of which appeared to be elderly persons with rheumatoid arthritis, welcomed his old-fashioned, reassuring, minimizing, "doctor knows best" manner, but I found it patronizing and condescending. I found another rheumatologist who provided me with recent studies indicating that I had a 50% chance of surviving one year with a certain treatment option, but a 70-90% chance with another. This is the kind of information Dr. Karsh should have given me. I'm sure he was very knowledgeable - why not share that knowledge with the patient?

flag | Submitted July 4, 2013