Ratings for Dr. Steven M. Theiss

Not pleased so far, I live three hours away, and the three visits I have went to were a complete waste of time. He could have just called me on the phone . The wait time for an appointment is ridiculous. There are never more than three to four patients there at a time and the visit usually takes more than two hours. Told one thing and then told to do another. Kinda feels like I'm getting the run around.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2016

I would recommend him to anyone and everyone!! He is an excellent doctor and and offered a stress free experience.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2014

I have been a patient of Thiess's since 1995. I have double scoliosis, in 2002 I had my first of 3 surgeries. Dr. Theiss and his staff were very informative of what to expect and best treatment plan for therapy. My first surgery was to correct the curvature of the spine and that meant taking bone from my hips to graph the fusion. Titanium rods screws and hooks were placed from T4 to L3 to hold the spine in place until the bone healed. In 2002 I began to have more pain than I anticipated. So in 2003 I had my second surgery thinking I was coming home with less hardware, only to come out of surgery with more than I had when I went in. Thiess said the problem was that my bone fusion did not heal properly and he had to take another bone graph from my other hip and make more spinal fusions. 2011 I had another surgery to remove the upper portion of hardware. Still have problems daily but I trust Thiess and his team! 2014 and I'm still very active, not everything I would like to do but blessed!

flag | Submitted May 16, 2014

I have had a wonderful experience with Dr theiss. I have early onset degenerative disk desease and have had to have three fusion surgeries in the past six years. He is the reason I am able to get in the floor and play with my children. While the wait is not fun, I have found that his staff is quite pleasant when you treat them like you would want to be treated in their position. The wreck that I had that brought this on should have paralyzed me with five spinal fractures, but thanks to Dr theiss and his efforts I live a fairly normal lifewith minimal pain

flag | Submitted November 5, 2013

I am leaving the hospital today after surgery to alleviate nerve impingement and to fuse the lowest 4 vertebrae in my spine. I am already thrilled with the improvements to my pain level and function. After more than 2 decades of back trouble and a decade and a half of managing pain,it is life changing to alleviate some of that pain and regain function. Last week I couldn't stand up without pain or walk half a block before the pain became unbearable. Today I am walking around the hospital floor several times a day thrilled that I can stand and walk freely. I feel like I have been given a new lease on life! I am thrilled with the care I have received through this whole process. I thank Dr. Theiss and staff and the team at UAB for the wonderful care I have received and look forward to seeing what the future has in store for me now.

flag | Submitted August 19, 2013

I have not had a good experience with Dr. Theiss. I have had three back surgeries in my time due to a car wreck at the age of 19. I have never had a problem with spinal leakage until Dr. Theiss did his surgery in 2011. I suffered from unbelievable headaches and went back to him. I made the MRI and a test where they put blue dye in my back, that he requested me to do. After the final test on Oct. 11,2012 I waited to hear from his office and I heard nothing. I called Kassandra, his nurse on Nov.19,2012 and she had no idea of what I was speaking of. She said she would talk to him and get back with me. Today is Dec. 18,2012 and she returned "MY PHONE CALL" from yesterday.I called her on Dec,17th to find out what we were doing next. She told me that the test did not show where the leakage could be coming from and I may need to see a Neurosurgeon.I have dealt with 3 surgeons in my life and he is the worst. Medicaid and Medicare doctors at times, treat you as less than. You have been warned !

flag | Submitted December 18, 2012

I owe my life to Dr Theiss. I broke my neck 3 years ago diving in a pool. I should've been paralyzed but Dr. Theiss put my vertebrae back together an now I can't even tell anything happened. Great doctor excellent surgeon. He really did save my life.

flag | Submitted October 29, 2011

He's my favorite doctor. Finally diagnosed my back problem at 5 year of going from doctor to doctor. He and his staff are the best. Been going to him since 1996 to present 2011;

flag | Submitted August 29, 2011

Not a very good experience. uab is not patient friendly. only go there if you have to. Theiss is just another academic know it all.

flag | Submitted June 2, 2011

Dr. Theiss is an amazing surgeon and walked me through every step so I understood exactly what to expect. I agree, his staff is NOT very pleasant and I dread going for my visits every 3 months for that only reason.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2010

Dr. Steven M. Theiss's Credentials

• Northwestern Univ Med Sch, Chicago Il 60611 (Grad. 1989)