Ratings for Dr. Robert Urquhart

This person is incompetent and a bully. He does not want to consider other diagnosis and shown is absolutely incorrect n his own assumptions, gets his defenses up and will argue the point. He would rather withhold proper treatment than to admit that maybe he was incorrect. This person should not be in practice. He is a danger to patients who are genuinely looking for help.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

I wish we didn't have to rate this man. I agree with alot of what is said here of his attitude. He totally disagreed with things my therapist has said who I have seen for over 10 years, discharged me still feeling suicidal, when I told him if I said to family what he was saying to me they would be on the first flight out his response was "bring them on, I have all the documentation I need". Then double certified me to discharge me the next day. The police treated me better then he did when I was discharged and called 911 because I was still suicidal.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2017

I admitted myself to emerg for mental help last year. I was admitted to the Calgary PLC short term mental health unit. Dr. Urquhart listened to me, was friendly, had a sense of humour.... He helped me beyond my dreams. He was honest but also open.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

He helped be a lot with my anxiety uses humor very effectively in sessions very thankful i met with him

flag | Submitted October 7, 2016

This "dr" does not listen to his patients, he had his mind made up about me before I even said a word. When I made the unfortunate mistake of trying to explain my situation and my feelings, he told me how wrong I was and that my problem was simply the fact that I didn't like my job. When I mentioned that I was having suicidal thoughts, he told me to go home and do it then as clearly they (the psych ward) weren't helping me. As I was being disharged, the nurse asked if I would harm myself and I told her that yes I probably would (might not kill myself but would most likely harm myself) she said SHE...a NURSE...was not comfortable sending me home because of that, but this "dr" told her that I would be discharged as planned. I'll remember the look on her face for a long time! Horrible horrible dr!

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

Likes to jump to conclusions without thorough considerations. Likes to puff off his intelligence. But I don't think it really helps his patients. This is very sad.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2016

Cant help but agree with the majority of other reviews. He decided that my current Psychiatrist of 10 years had incorrectly diagnosed me and what I suffered from was simply an attitude problem. This was followed by a 10 minute talk about how him and his wife raise their two kids which was interesting to say the least. Was released a few days later and a week or so after that and had an appointment with my regular Psychiatrist where I was put back on medication (Urquhart decided I didn't need it as it was purely attitude.) It turns out the best thing for my health was getting away from Urquhart and back on my Seroquel(pill/medicine). The staff/nurses were exceptionally nice, especially one guy in particular who seemed to go the extra mile. Please avoid Urquhart as he seems to be in the medical field for himself rather than for the patient and because of this I don't believe you will receive the help you need. Seek help elsewhere.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2016

There are several descriptions of this doctor which are very accurate. His bedside manner is that of ice. He is antagonistic, arrogant, unfriendly and uncompassionate. My personal experience with him was almost likened to a medieval power over. Incredibly unprofessional in language and tone. I have a regular doctor who read his report and called it a load of "cra-". He made punishing documented diagnosis's about my character and personality which were more bout him than me. It has been life destroying as I have had several accidents and in chronic pain with nerve damage and scar tissue, std. etc. I went through a very difficult time and didn't think I would make it. I reached out for help and he gutted me like a fish. He couldn't take that fact and face that he was incorrect with his assumptions about me. When proven wrong he became vindictive. I am left with a very low quality of life because he ruined my medical record and care in other areas has been overlooked by a home OT because of his report. I have since suffered another preventable accident and a broken limb because of this. Not to mention been driven further into isolation and fear because of his "god complex" IF you are unfortunate to have to work with this doctor. Try at all costs to have a professional advocate with you. Delay your appointment if you have to. They re all in bed together so to speak, so the social worker (and the nurse) present are all on his side. I would say it is more like an IME and it is supposed to be AHCS. I don't know what this Doctors baggage or mental status is-but I honestly do think that AHS needs to have a more professional handle on this. I firmly believe he is tainted by having to work with too many drug addicts and alcoholics. It is up to the system to change the care program. Addicts don't belong in the same wing/umbrella as accident victims or other vulnerable persons. This is third world care and a waste of healthcare dollars and a waste of lives. I wonder how many people actually have killed themselves because of his cruelty, vanity and lack of control. Avoid this hospital if necessary ---absolutely no place for anyone injured that is not yet an addict.

flag | Submitted January 24, 2016

Arrogant, rude, and condescending. Stay away from this guy.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2015

Arrogant, unfriendly, ignores information from patients, ignores advice from PLC specialists, seems proud to be rude, SO certain his opinion is correct even when he does not have basic knowledge of patient's underlying problem(s). Refused to call patient's father. Patient suffers from chronic pain but he seems convinced she is making it up or attention seeking. "Treatment" consists of under-medicating her (less than her doctors prescribe) and insisting that she has to move herself quickly enough to where he wants her to be. Actually refused to meet with her when she was not fast enough because she could not walk. Does not have a clue about patient care, seems to be 100% from the antiquated negative medical model where the patient is 2nd-class at best, automatically wrong & not worth listening to.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2015