Ratings for Dr. Robert Urquhart

Dr Urquhart is not the worst doctor but he is not the best. He lacks people skills, is arogant, condescending and lack empathy especially toward people struggling with mental health. He is very close minded and has most likely made his mind up about you, your diagnosis, treatment and how he will treat you as a person before he has even met you. He love diagnosing everyone with a personality disorder but instead of helping them to learn to cope and deal with there disorder, he makes his patients feel as though they are less, and inferior. He leads patients to believe that their mental health is their fault, when in fact you may play a role in your mental health but there are many contributing factor out of your control. My advice for Dr Urquhart is to have more empathy for people and to understand they are doing the best they can under the circumstances and with the supports they have and they still may need more help and to do better. That is where Dr Urquhart can assist people instead of making people feel as though their diagnosis is something to be ashamed of help them to understand their diagnosis and move forward by building their skills.

flag | Submitted January 7, 2018

I would say overall he was an ok doctor except for one thing. I asked about the Addictions and Mental Health Day Program at the Rockyview Hospital and he said that wouldn't apply to me because I needed to treat my addiction first. The description says skill development to treat current and future addiction and/or mental health concerns. I think I was being passed off to another department like aadac or a treatment centre. I hope he reads this. A.C

flag | Submitted November 17, 2017

I have been in treatment for a while for mental illness. This has to be the worst doctor ive ever had for the last 4 years. He drops ridiculous assumptions. Points out your faults when you already feel horrible. He made me feel like my trauma was my own fault. If you have this doctor switch immediately. It makes me very happy that other people feel this way about this horrible man. I thought it was only me

flag | Submitted September 20, 2017

This person is incompetent and a bully. He does not want to consider other diagnosis and shown is absolutely incorrect n his own assumptions, gets his defenses up and will argue the point. He would rather withhold proper treatment than to admit that maybe he was incorrect. This person should not be in practice. He is a danger to patients who are genuinely looking for help.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

I wish we didn't have to rate this man. I agree with alot of what is said here of his attitude. He totally disagreed with things my therapist has said who I have seen for over 10 years, discharged me still feeling suicidal, when I told him if I said to family what he was saying to me they would be on the first flight out his response was "bring them on, I have all the documentation I need". Then double certified me to discharge me the next day. The police treated me better then he did when I was discharged and called 911 because I was still suicidal.

flag | Submitted April 30, 2017

I admitted myself to emerg for mental help last year. I was admitted to the Calgary PLC short term mental health unit. Dr. Urquhart listened to me, was friendly, had a sense of humour.... He helped me beyond my dreams. He was honest but also open.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2017

He helped be a lot with my anxiety uses humor very effectively in sessions very thankful i met with him

flag | Submitted October 7, 2016

This "dr" does not listen to his patients, he had his mind made up about me before I even said a word. When I made the unfortunate mistake of trying to explain my situation and my feelings, he told me how wrong I was and that my problem was simply the fact that I didn't like my job. When I mentioned that I was having suicidal thoughts, he told me to go home and do it then as clearly they (the psych ward) weren't helping me. As I was being disharged, the nurse asked if I would harm myself and I told her that yes I probably would (might not kill myself but would most likely harm myself) she said SHE...a NURSE...was not comfortable sending me home because of that, but this "dr" told her that I would be discharged as planned. I'll remember the look on her face for a long time! Horrible horrible dr!

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

Likes to jump to conclusions without thorough considerations. Likes to puff off his intelligence. But I don't think it really helps his patients. This is very sad.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2016

Cant help but agree with the majority of other reviews. He decided that my current Psychiatrist of 10 years had incorrectly diagnosed me and what I suffered from was simply an attitude problem. This was followed by a 10 minute talk about how him and his wife raise their two kids which was interesting to say the least. Was released a few days later and a week or so after that and had an appointment with my regular Psychiatrist where I was put back on medication (Urquhart decided I didn't need it as it was purely attitude.) It turns out the best thing for my health was getting away from Urquhart and back on my Seroquel(pill/medicine). The staff/nurses were exceptionally nice, especially one guy in particular who seemed to go the extra mile. Please avoid Urquhart as he seems to be in the medical field for himself rather than for the patient and because of this I don't believe you will receive the help you need. Seek help elsewhere.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2016