Ratings for Dr. G Schep

I'm sorry to give such a bad review, but it's the truth. I'll start with the positives. I had a great experience with the scopes that Dr. Schep did. I felt it was painless and as far as I know, thorough. I felt my assessment/first appointment was very thorough, he asked the right questions, noticed where I was feeling intestinal pain, and booked a scoping appointment within the next few weeks. Unfortunately, the many negatives really outweigh the positives. I had to wait over 6 weeks for my appointments. He told me I asked too many questions (I think I asked three, and this was during the appointment where I was given a diagnosis), I talked too much, and I was wired (I was on a lot of Prednisone, prescribed by him). He snapped at a question my mom asked. Halfway through my diagnosis appointment, he asked me my name (he was trying to find my file on the computer!!!?). When I asked for tips about what to eat or how to gain weight, he laughed at me. One of the receptionists told me I took too long in the appointment because I talk too much (I think the appointment was 15 or 20 minutes). He listed what felt like 12 meds, and told me to pick one. Said some of the meds have "no side effects." I had no idea how to pick one, especially without being able to ask a question. I feel bad after seeing him. I know two other people who have had similar experiences and changed doctors.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2017

Prepare for a doctor that is on his phone during your appointment. A room with incomplete equipment, he was unable to complete assessment and didn't seem to care

flag | Submitted April 7, 2017

If your condition isn't black and white, you're really wasting your time here. This isn't the place to go if you expect above and beyond effort or treatment. It's like they're doing you some kind of favour when you finally get an appointment and enter the office of the greate and powerful GI oz. The doctor seems to lack compassion for his patients. Consultations are awkward exchanges, he seems to be listening but then repeats questions 2 or 3 times. I'm sure he's a skilled doctor but don't settle when it comes to your health. You deserve a doctor who's good at their specialty and who isn't rude.

flag | Submitted March 12, 2017

Dr Schep seems quite good but his receptionist misses the mark by far.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2017

I am very grateful for his intervention following a surgery gone wrong, but the follow-up period was a nightmare. I had to beg to be seen and the secretary would not even call me back or will ask for another referral even if I needed to see him within a year of thee previous one...felt humiliated and totally ignored. I think he is very skilful when it comes to scopes and ERCP, but I needed help with my overall GI issues and never got it....

flag | Submitted February 17, 2017

When I first started seeing Dr Schep about 18 years ago he was nice, caring informative and seemed to try to really connect with his patients. Fast forward to 2016 - I left his office in tears 2 times due to his rudeness and god complex. He was uninterested in my issues at hand and gave me flip remarks to what he though could help. I honestly do not think he was listening becasue his suggestions where way off the mark. In fact, I now see another specialist in Newmarket and Mount Siani and they both were shocked at his answered and his new found demeanour. Soooo long story short Dr Schep was unable to help me with my recent GI struggles from about 2007 to 2016 and my new doctors figured it out in 6 months and I feel better then ever. Would not recommend Dr Schep to anyone.

flag | Submitted February 6, 2017

Dr Schep has been my GI since 1999. Has seen me thru 2 Chrons surgeries and awful complications, from infections, to hernias to adhesions. My disease has been progressing again for the last 2.5 years, but another surgery is too risky. I can't afford remnicade but he's making the effort to hook me up with help in that area. He is a gentle, warm, compassionate human being. I'm in pain 24/7. Chrons is not my only health issue. But he takes such genuine care and listens. Really listens. I have never heard him raise his voice, even when he told me I wasn't taking my health seriously enough. He said it out of concern. To wake me up. To the poster who said he yells....what'? He wasn't telling you want you wanted to hear? Or you couldn't manipulate him? As for Lori, she is also a kind and compassionate woman. Very efficient and always has a smile. Often in the waiting room, if there's not too many people, we will chat. She has a large workload. Be nice to her.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2016

Great doctor. Thorough, knowledgeable, professional and compassionate. However, his office staff is an inept joke. Lost appointments, poor communication and they can NEVER admit a mistake ! Lori is hopelessly inept and arrogant.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2016

Been a patient for 2-3 years now. Very matter of fact, precise Dr. and I like that. (I can get him to smile). He is genuinely pleasant and again, very exact in his instruction/care. I am at ease and very pleased.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2015

I had one office visit with Dr. Schep. I found him fairly informative at the beginning of the visit but then I wasn't very happy with the way he answered a question at the end of the visit. When I re-asked the same question, he got perturbed with me. It was a simple yes or no question and he didn't give me one of those answers. For this reason, I only gave him 2 stars for helpfulness. His secretary was helpful as she had had the procedure and did answer the question.

flag | Submitted September 15, 2015