Ratings for Dr. Denis L. Gonyon

I had a lump of scar tissue and five birthmarks removed from the back of my head. Prior to the procedure, Dr. Gonyon was very adamant that the hair would grow back. He repeated this multiple times. I went in for a check up a couple weeks later and was told the hair would grow back in 4 to 6 weeks. Then, several weeks later, Gonyon told me that he was "very confident" the hair would return. After emailing and speaking telephonically with two of the employees, I was told, “in most cases the hair will grow back.” As a side note, I noticed several instances of staff members being incompetent. The nurse, Olivia Whalen, stopped responding to my emails almost from day 1 after they realized they had screwed up. She also called the scar tissue on my head “breast tissue.” These people are truly not the sharpest. Nothing Dr. Gonyon said was true and now I am left with a giant nasty looking bald spot on the back of my head (and not all of the scar tissue was removed). Furthermore, the moles that were removed were not simply shaved off with the scalpel like they were during past successful removals. An incision was made and they were removed from the inside and then stapled shut, leaving me with more bald spots on my head. I did not agree to this method and did not realize it was the method used until too late. Words are not enough to describe what I have been going through. Do not go here even if your life depends on it! Don’t believe anything that Dr. Gonyon or his incompetent staff write in reply to my review. The Colorado Board of Medical Examiners has taken two disciplinary actions against Dr. Gonyon: https://apps.colorado.gov/dora/licensing/Lookup/LicenseLookup.aspx

flag | Submitted February 23, 2019

Terrible doctor. Save yourself and go somewhere else

flag | Submitted February 15, 2018

AWFUL doctor that only cares about trying to make women's breasts as large as he can. They gave me the run around for a year after messing up my boob (implant was too big and the shape is like a football) - he kept saying it would get better and it never did. They told me they would fix it, and then their new CFO went back on it and said that her new role was to make sure the company was profitable. They only care about making money. My biggest regret was coming here. I now have to go somewhere else to fix what he messed up. I cry all the time and am so embarrassed of how my breasts look.

flag | Submitted January 25, 2018

Dr. Gonyon is amazing. I am so happy with my breast augmentation result. I have referred two friends to him and they are super happy too.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2015

I fractured and dislocated my jaw Dr Gonyon was the doctor on call. He said he put 2 plates in my mouth and I kept all of my teeth and in tacked. Really amazing considering the break in my jaw. It started after surgery he never met my poor 85 year old mother who like the rest of us had been waiting all day for surgery ( 6:15 when the accident happened)I think he finally got done sometime around 8pm or so? She was in the waiting room waiting to hear how it went? NO doc. I did see him the next morning and then 5 days later I was complain about the pain I was in. He had me come into his office and that was the last time I saw the Doctor. He remover my wires for my jaw ( that were holding them together) I believe because I was wired to far forward. But he left the screws that held the wires in, and WOW did they ever hurt. I One week later I called his office again in pain trying to see when I see him again and when do the screws come out.. The nures explained to me that they could not schedule any more appointments until my bill was paid in full. I ended up in the ER last week due to the pain of the screws and the broke teeth that he said I didn't have. He has since received his money yet I'm still a week away from getting my screws out. And any other check up appointment is not for 3 weeks after that. Fortunate for my I found a fantastic oral surgeon who took out the screws took out the broken teeth and discovered not only is my mouth and teeth crooked but there is an infection around every tooth and even worse in my fracture and only one plate not 2. So I will have to endure another surgery to clean out the fracture and stabilize it. And it will not be 8 weeks to heal like his nurse said so smugly like I should know. But 6 month to 2 years. I'm very disappointed in his callous uncaring go away attitude. Wish I didn't have to deal with him in the first place.

Submitted July 3, 2015

I am only writing this review in hopes that it can help someone else avoid the problems I experienced. I saw Dr. Gonyon for a consultation to have a breast lift & augmentation performed 10 months ago. I am in my early 40's, have had 2 children & lost some weight & was looking to have them lifted & a little volume added. He informed me that he now only does the procedures seperatly because of all the issues that people have experienced in having them done together & that 6 months after the lift we could proceed with the augmention. I also made him very aware, during the consultation, that I have a blood clot disorder called Factor 5 Lyden. He told me he is very aware of the condition as someone in his family has it & would make sure every precaution was taken. So we proceeded with scheduling the surgery. About a week prior his anesthesiologist called me & asked me to have some blood work done as he was confused by my condition. He called me back a few days prior to the surgery & said we could proceed as planned. When I went in for the procedure they took my husband & I to the surgical area to prep me for surgery. The nurse was terrible iserting the IV & was actually smacking my arm to find a vein. I had a bruise for several days. My husband & also found it very strange that they didn't wait for me to fully wake up to send me home. I was still fairly sedated when they put me in the car & I have no recollection of driving home or even leaving Dr. Gonyon's office. For the next week or so things seemed to be fine & then I started having problems breathing. I called Dr. Gonyon's office & they took a message & said he would get back to me. After several days of not hearing from him, on a Saturday morning, I called his cell phone directly as I knew something just wasn't right. He told me I could have a blood clot & to go to the ER. I went directly to the ER to find out I had several blod clots in my legs as well as a huge "saddle PE" in both of my lungs surrounding my heart. Long story short I spent 5 days in the ICU & was told I was days from it having killed me. I now have to be on blood thinners for the rest of my life as well as dealing with the emotional effects of the entire situation combined with the low self-esteem I deal with on a daily basis as I am not able to continue with the augmenttion surgery and the results are less than desirable ! (or any other elective surgery for the rest of my life.) Lesson learned.... I would pay twice as much to go back to the way I was if that was possible! PLEASE think long & hard, do your research & know that if you have any type of medical condition that just making the doctor aware of it is not enough. Don't make the same mistake I did in assuming they will take care of you.

Submitted April 21, 2015

Excellent surgeon, very caring and compassionate. The staff was equally caring. I had a consultation with the doctor for gynecomastia and was impressed with the facility and the doctors previous work. I immediately signed up for the surgery. The surgery went well and I had very little pain. Unfortunately I developed a hematoma on one side and the doctor immediately scheduled a surgery for the very next day. He also called me at home to see how I was doing. It's been 3 months now and I am very happy with the results. The total cost of the entire process was very reasonable and considering the results, I'd gladly have paid twice that amount. A very talented surgeon who deserves tremendous success, recognition and tons of money :) Thank you Dr. Gonyon !!!

flag | Submitted January 10, 2015

I had a consultation with Dr. Gonyon in July 2014 for serious issues I was having after 1999 bilateral mastectomies with TRAM flap and mesh in Texas followed by 4 open repairs by different surgeons over the years and now requiring more work. He was SO compassionate and knowledgeable about my situation and felt that the surgery I would need would require a specialty surgeon and he referred me to two different physicians and took the time to call and discuss the case with them both. Valerie in his office also worked with me in obtaining all my previous medical records and getting copies to the other surgeons for me. I was so impressed with him and with his staff. The ONLY money he received from me (and my insurance company) was for the initial consultation, yet they all went out of their way to be sure I ended up in the right hands. I had my extensive surgery on August 28, 2014 by Dr. Michael Roller, who was excellent, and I have Dr. Gonyon to thank for sending me to him! If I have the need for a great cosmetic or plastic surgeon in the future, I will definitely be going to his office. :)

flag | Submitted September 9, 2014

I was referred by a friend who said she loves Dr. Gonyon and I can't thank her enough. I had already had 3 consults and after my consultation with him for breast augmentation, I immediately felt comfortable with him and his staff. I am extremely happy with my my new boobs and will be referring my friends to him!

flag | Submitted November 17, 2013

I recently had a tummy tuck with this doctor. He did an excellent job. He and his staff were great to work with and answered all my questions and concerns. I am already happy with the results and it is only 2.5 weeks out and I still have a lot of healing to do and swelling to get down. I can't wait to see the final result months from now. He is a talented and caring surgeon. See him.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2013

Dr. Denis L. Gonyon's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Gonyon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. In addition to completing a six year integrated residency in Plastic Surgery at Duke University Medical Center, Dr. Gonyon was selected for a highly competitive, world-renowned fellowship in cosmetic surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. He acquired innovative and proven techniques from leading surgeons in the field of plastic surgery, including several past presidents of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Growing up in Michigan I always knew I wanted to be a doctor. Then it became a matter of what kind of doctor I wanted to be. During medical school at the University of Michigan, after just one rotation in plastic surgery, I knew that was what I wanted to do. This decision led me to residency at Duke University. Six years later I had just completed the one of the best reconstructive training programs, so I sought out the best cosmetic training, which landed me for an additional year in Dallas, Texas for a cosmetic fellowship. I am grateful today for the strength and determination I had to continue my education before starting my own practice. The additional skills and training I received continue to help me produce the results my patients are seeking. Although my training provided the option to open a practice in any city I wanted, Northern Colorado was a good fit for my family and I. My wife and I grew up in small towns and loved the close, community feel that Northern Colorado has. The schools, the people, the lifestyle is everything we'd hoped it would be. I feel strongly that women across Northern Colorado deserve exceptional results. I consider myself a well-trained cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon who delivers the time, counseling and cosmetic surgical expertise to all of my patients. Although I specialize in cosmetic surgery, a portion of my practice will always remain dedicated to breast cancer reconstruction patients because they deserve the same type of cosmetic results.

• English

• University Of Michigan Medical School (Grad. 1998)
  • Duke University (Grad. 2004)
  • University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas (Grad. 2005)

UnitedHealthcare