Ratings for Dr. P. Govender

Dr. Govender has performed two surgeries on me.....one to remove a tumour on my spinal cord and one to perform a lamenectomy on L3, L4,L5 and also spinal fusion on L4 and L5. To say Dr. Govender is wonderful would be an understatement. Professionalism, knowledgeable, thoughtful, caring and patient are words that come to mind when describing this man......I would trust him with my life (well, actually I did!)..... I would highly Dr. Govender to anyone. It has been 11 months since my tumour surgery and recovery has been just as described with every month getting a little better. My recent surgery took place 3 weeks ago and while recovery is slow I can see light at the end of the tunnel and the chronic pain I have experienced for many years drastically diminished. Thank you Dr. Govender!! Tom D. Keitel

flag | Submitted May 26, 2017

Relative in pain for days with a promise of back surgery to alleviate the pain and possibly restore function in one leg. Relative left waiting for 2 consecutive days in the hospital with nothing to eat or drink until after midnight and until 7 pm each day except for sips of water with meds. They lowered this relatives INR to 1.0 to prevent bleeding during a surgery that never happened. Now this person is at risk for a stroke, dehydration, and malnutrition and still in severe pain while we wait for another surgical date? Receptionist was rude and abrupt and not helpful when I called. Never met the man, nor had opportunity to speak with him. Wonder how he would feel if this was his relative?

flag | Submitted May 17, 2017

Dr Govender did my back surgery in December. It was a 5 level surgery. I am amazed at the skill of this man. I gardened today! He was so informative. He made me feel so confident from beginning to the end. I cannot say enough about the skill he has. My back is great. Too many people said they wouldn't have their back operated on. My back is stronger than ever. The pain was exactly as he told me and very quickly I had none.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2017

I waited a long time for an apppointment with Dr. Govender. I had to travel quite a distance to see him. His receptionist was very accomodating trying to coordinate travel plans. I am in a lot of pain and was told I dont need surgery. This was very upsetting as I had traveled so far and waited to see him. I dont agree with his decision and will get a second opinion.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2017

EXCELLENT DIAGNOSIS-VERY GOOD DOCTOR-FOUND HIM VERY FRIENDLY AND HIS DISCLOSURE OF PROCEDURE EXCELLENT-CAME TO SEE MENEXT MORNING AND WAS VERY GOOD AT EXPLAINING WHAT WAS DONE, HIS WORDS WERE I AM GLAD WE DID IT AS IT WAS SO TIGHT IN THERE(STENOSIS) WOULD GO HIM IN HEART BEST. BACK HAS NOT FELT BETTER IN YEARS-BACK TO FULL PAINLESS FUNCTION. THANK YOU DOC.

flag | Submitted November 11, 2016

Dr.Govender fixed what I had been told for years was unfixable. Everything was explained and performed in a caring and professional manor. I now have a new lease on life. THANK-YOU!

flag | Submitted September 21, 2016

Dr Govender performed lumbar surgery on me after a couple consults. I found to be very precise and the surgery was very effective. The most disappointing part of the experience is with his assistant/receptionist. I have had better customer service and respect at drive throughs around the city. She has an unbelievable arrogance about her and is very rude. She even once questioned if I should even be having surgery after asking a simple questions about my procedure.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2016

After being in pain for over a year with sciatica and waiting for 6 months to get a consultation with Dr. Govender, the very same one in Kelowna B.C..... I was sadly disappointed. Diagnosed November 2015 with herniated disks in L5, S1 and bulging in L4 by CT scan. Doctor and Physiotherapist confirmed my symptoms matched the radiologist report. I have been suffering in extreme pain with little relief day and night, and unable to work since December 2015. Dr. Govender told me today that I was mis-diagnosed and most people at age 35 have bad disks that do not cause any pain. He told me how I should feel, and that it was impossible that I had numb feet, pain down my left leg and back pain. His examination consisted of him asking me to bend forward, and since I could do that, there's no way I could be suffering from herniated disks. I guess he doesn't know me or my pain tolerance. Egotistical, arrogant, very unprofessional, with a HUGE GOD COMPLEX. As I see he told someone else in another review, he said the exact thing to me about my doctor, radiologist, and physiotherapist "They don't know what they are doing, and they don't have the proper training, and they are not able to make proper diagnosis" It must be his catch all phrase when he himself doesn't know what's going on when patients don't fit into his small box of expertise. I'm glad his surgery patients had mostly good experiences, but the only good that came from my appointment today was a recommendation for an MRI. I will be asking my doctor to send me to a different surgeon in future.

flag | Submitted April 21, 2016

Dr. Govender has a level of arrogance unprecedented. He was not only unprofessional, but cruel. I was referred to him after a cyst was discovered after head trauma. He told me that I had never suffered a brain injury and proceeded to disparage every doctor who told me otherwise, including three ER doctors, my family doctor and a neurologist. He suggested my symptoms were unrelated to each other despite them all occurring immediately after my head trauma and claimed they were stress related. I have been unable to walk for over a year (since my injury.) When I naturally protested he told me I clearly didn't want to be helped and was being argumentative. Dr. Govender has never examined me, nor was I there to discuss my brain injury, but whether the cyst was to be removed. Please go to anyone else.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2016

I had back surgery on L 3, 4, 5 which included a bone graft in June. I have recovered well & have 1 more follow appt. at which time I expect to be sent off as 'good to go'. Dr. Govender explained everything carefully & answered all questions thoroughly prior to and after surgery. He was generous with his time and lovely to deal with. Thank you is not adequate to express the depth of my gratitude for his surgical skills!

flag | Submitted November 5, 2015