Ratings for Dr. Richard Jason Valentine

I suffer from several chronic conditions and take many, many prescriptions. Dr. Valentine has ignored my medical history and the recommendations of several specialists in his treatment, and neglected to order any blood work, including liver and kidney panels, to monitor the effects of my prescription intake. My overall health and quality of life has declined under his “care,” if you can even call it that. I have since visited another primary care physician who immediately set up home health care and physical therapy, something Dr. Valentine expressly refused to do. These in-home professionals were appalled that it took so long for them to be referred. But worse than that, the man is just plain rude and condescending. At my last appointment, I could hear him through the door ridiculing me to the medical students observing him that day – this has happened more than once. He has raised his voice to me multiple times, and has refused to refer me elsewhere until very lately, telling me I should just move back to the state I came from if I didn't like his standard of care. He ignored my long, deep, very detailed medical history, to say nothing of the recommendations of several specialists I have seen since moving here, and substituted his judgment for theirs, and treated me like dirt besides. He has thrown several temper tantrums in our appointments, culminating in him finally refusing to treat me anymore, after I dared to catch him in a lie about what he was or wasn't allowed to do in my treatment. I have been a legitimate chronic pain patient for nearly two decades, and I provided him a deep and detailed medical history, with records going back seven years from my previous physician group. He labeled me as a drug seeker from our first visit and, against the advice of a half-dozen neurologists and pain management professionals, titrated down my pain medication. His reasons for doing so changed with every appointment, with him finally hiding behind state policy as dictated by the Alabama Board of Medical Examiners. So I called the Board, described my situation, and told the man what Dr. Valentine had told me. He responded that not only had Dr. Valentine misrepresented the policy and its intention, but that he was - his word, not mine - "appalled" at the lack of care I'd received, and Dr. Valentine's refusal to prescribe. I confronted Dr. Valentine with this information at what would be my last appointment with him, and he became angry and combative, fired me as a patient, and stormed out of the room. He has even gone as far as to engage in what many would call "gaslighting" - the deliberate misrepresentation of things I knew to be facts, such as the words out of my specialists' mouths at our appointments. Even after a person-to-person phone call with one of them, he still insisted that the other doctors were refusing to prescribe me, when in fact, they agreed I should be prescribed, but were barred from doing so by their own practice rules, and said that the standard recommendation was for such prescriptions to be coordinated by them and filled by the primary care provider. Dr. Valentine simply said this wasn't so. He was the odd man out in this regard. He has not once considered my needs as a patient, much less his professional obligation to “first do no harm” - he has only thought of himself and what is convenient for him. Now I am without a prescribing physician for several vital medications, including several non-narcotic prescriptions, and God knows what may happen to me in the three-week interim until I can be seen by another doctor. If anyone you love is considering becoming a patient of Dr. Valentine, don't let them do it.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2017

Doctor valentine is wonderful. He really cares no matter how small the problem he does everything he can for you. I trust him completely. His nurse is very sweet and they all make you feel very cared about.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2012

Dr. Valentine is the friendliest, most attentive doctor in the group. As per my experience.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2011

hes not a very helpful, doctor and doesn't care anything about his patients!

flag | Submitted June 28, 2010

he doesn't pay you any attention, he almost let me die with colitis, not a nice doctor, wouldn't recommend him at all!

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

Dr. Richard Jason Valentine's Credentials

• University Of South Alabama College Of Medicine (Grad. 2001)