Ratings for Dr. Kara L. Jefferies

I am now a former patient of Capital Women’s Care. I left after having a horrible encounter with Dr. Kara Jefferies. I’m sharing my experience as young Black female, who was with the practice previously for 10 years and having been a former patient of Dr. Thomas Schmitt (recently retired). This past summer, my husband I became pregnant. We were absolutely thrilled. Since Dr. Schmitt was retiring and no longer worked in Obstetrics, I was shifted to Dr. Kara Jefferies. I had heard excellent things about her, so I was very excited and comfortable that I would be in great hands. Unfortunately, this proved to be wrong. I saw Dr. Jefferies at 6 weeks (first check-up w/exam) as well as at 8 weeks (ultrasound). During our initial encounter she seemed friendly and qualified. On our second visit we performed the first ultrasound. Unfortunately, this is where things went downhill. During the ultrasound, she could not locate anything on the monitor. My husband went quiet and I began to panic saying I was “nervous”. Dr. Jefferies response was, “You should be nervous”. She immediately checked to see if the she could locate any other visuals (e.g., attachment via the fallopian tubes). She soon said, it looks like there is was no sac/embryo implanted on the uterus. She immediately said it looks like you have a molar pregnancy or it could be a miscarriage. Soon she started to talk about doing surgery (a D&C I later found out) for the removal to see what had gone wrong with the pregnancy. Tissue retrieved from the surgery would be further tested. As you can imagine, I was confused and devastated. I started to get emotional, trying to find out why I had been having all of the normal pregnancy symptoms (i.e., enlarged uterus that correlated to weeks pregnant, morning sickness, food cravings, mood swings, increased urination…etc. ). She continued to talk and say that my symptoms were similar for women who had molar pregnancies. I told her I didn’t know what a “molar pregnancy” was and inquired about why surgery was needed. She left the room to get materials for me to learn about molar pregnancies. After Dr. Jeffries leaves, both my husband and I begin to cry. The nurse tried her best to console us. Dr. Jeffries comes back in with Google printouts on a molar pregnancy and says she will have her staff get in touch with me for scheduling the surgery (D&C). She then says if she can’t perform the surgery another doctor in the practice can. She left again and we waited to compose ourselves and ask Dr. Jefferies more questions. We waited for over 30 minutes then decided to leave. On our way out, we passed her office. She was just sitting in there not tending to a patient. When I asked if I could come in and ask more questions about surgery, she seemed uninterested in providing me with more information besides the Google print offs she gave. I left Capital Women’s Care feeling sad and uninformed about my condition. When my husband and I did more research on molar pregnancies and found that her the diagnosis may not be accurate based off health profiles of women that encounter these issues. I am a Black female, in my early 30’s, in excellent health/fitness condition, with no former miscarriages or any reproductive issues in my past. Nothing about molar pregnancies correlated to me. It made no clear sense on why this was Dr. Jefferies first diagnosis. Not trusting this diagnosis, I found another OB/GYN. My new OB/GYN thought the diagnosis was odd as well given me ethnic background and excellent health status. I had my new doctor perform the D&C and the results came back that it was a miscarriage. Tissue was sent out for further genetic testing to the MAYO clinic to see if in fact it was a molar pregnancy. As expected, it came back that it WAS NOT this type of pregnancy, it was an early miscarriage. Finding this out angered me even more because treatment and the recovery time are VERY different for miscarriages and molar pregnancies. Here is the bottom line. I am displeased with the care I got from Dr. Kara Jefferies. She NEVER called to follow-up with me about getting the surgery after our ultrasound AND she was ok with passing me off to another doctor to perform the D&C. These actions showed lack of empathy/ compassion for me as a patient. This was a very traumatic experience I had with Capital Women’s Care. After 10 years, I WILL NOT be returning nor would I would recommend the practice. As a young Black woman, I feel that perhaps I did not get the care women of other races may have received. My advice to other minorities (especially Black women) is to select another practice if you are pregnant. You may find yourself in an unfortunate situation where you have to seek out another provider to provide the knowledge, expertise and correct health diagnosis.

flag | Submitted January 13, 2016

I have unfortunately moved away from this area and had to find a new doctor which made me realize just how amazing Dr. Jeffries is. I had various medical issues throughout the years I saw Dr. Jeffries and she always took the time to sit down, understand my issues and walk me through them. She was never alarmist and I always left her office feeling calm and not panicked. I rarely ever had to wait longer than 20 minutes, and her staff were incredibly helpful even if I called different offices. Many times Dr. Jeffries herself would call me back with a follow-up question. Although I believe her practice is a sole one, she never missed an appointment with me and year after year would remember my personal details without even having to check my file. If only I could replicate Dr. Jeffries in NJ I would!

flag | Submitted February 3, 2015

Awesome Dr! Patient, honest, and knowlegable. Delivered my son via c-section, has a wonderful bed side manner. When I had my son she fixed my c section scar tissue from my first baby and now its almost invisible. The staff is wonderful in Oakton!! I wouldn't go to anyone else!

flag | Submitted November 10, 2012

She couldn't care less about helping you. Both times I saw her, (I won't be going again) I had questions. She told me, "Not my area. Ask someone else." I mean, that's nonsense. I didn't ask about a foot problem, you know. Her predecessor never behaved that way. Dr. Jeffries acts like she can hardly stand to come down to your level. You can't trust someone who can't talk to you.

flag | Submitted May 27, 2011

Worst expierence of my life. I was in serious pain and she would not even see my quickly. I would recommend any Dr. other than Kara Jefferies. Just awful.

flag | Submitted March 22, 2011

AMAZING!!!I can see why its so difficult to get an appt. with Kara Jefferies. She was extremely patient, thorough and friendly, made me feel very comfortable.. Very personable and relates to you really well.

flag | Submitted July 16, 2009

Dr. Jefferies is amazing! She took great care of me before, during, and after my surgery. Her bed side manner is wonderful and she really cares about her patients. I plan on her delivering my babies when the time comes. :)

flag | Submitted May 19, 2009

Dr Jefferies was wonderful and helped us in our decisions for delivering our first baby via c-section. She was kind, gentle and allowed us to be a part of the medical decisions. I was very happy with her bedside manner as well.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2009

Dr. Kara L. Jefferies's Credentials

• University Of Virginia School Of Medicine (Grad. 2000)

Metlife