Ratings for Dr. Mark Tarnopolsky

Not a good experience with this doctor. I saw him once every year for 3 years. Every time I go his nurse gives me a paper with recommended exercises which I could never do with my condition which is very discouraging. Told me there was no research to show that the medication I take helps people with my condition when there is so much in the literature and many studies to show that’s not the case. He didn’t help me in any way, all he does is tell me I am getting worse at every visit something I already know and don’t need a doctor to tell me. I am very discouraged to see him again as I found him to be very unhelpful and has added nothing to my care but making me feel less hopeful about my condition

flag | Submitted March 9, 2018

I had a very poor experience with this doctor and his student. Went on about how extreme one of my problems was and then jumped to say the problem I was initially seeing him for wasn’t real. Did he not think there could be a connection between the 2? Quick to make up his mind. Didn’t examine me yet claimed to in his letter. Got one of the issues he dismissed in his letter checked and turns out it is real. Was able to offer me some tests which was a positive. Overall a very poor experience.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2018

After a long spat with an undiagnosed illness, Dr. Tarnopolsky has been a force of nature for me, working hard to get me the diagnosis I need so I can start receiving treatment. I'm surprised by a few comments below re: bad bedside manner - he has been more than pleasant, reassuring, informative, and even humourous when I've gone to see him. I have 100% confidence in his knowledge and passion for getting to the bottom of any potential conditions someone may have.

flag | Submitted February 11, 2018

We took our son to see Dr. Mark today and were overly impressed by his knowledge and the way he reassured us that our son would be fine. He answered all our questions and we loved his bedside manner. Made us all feel relaxed and glad we were in his care. Wish the doctors our son saw 3 months ago had given us all this care and information. Would have saved us 3 months of worrying.

flag | Submitted November 27, 2017

Dr. Tarnopolsky was very helpful and relentless in his testing to come up with a firm diagnosis of mitochondrial disease for my son and me. I live 7 hours away, and what impresses me most is that if one of my treating physicians, or even I for that matter, have a health related question, he can be emailed and will often reply the same day. A word of caution... he is very helpful to those who do their best to follow his recommendations and help themselves. He dropped my teenage son as a patient as soon as he found out he wasn't taking his vitamin cocktail. (Teenagers do things like that.) I have no doubt however, that he would take him back if my son started taking his cocktail again. Dr. Tarnopolski will give you lots of time as long as he doesn't feel like you're wasting his.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2017

Dr. Tarnopolsky is a very well respected doctor. This is helpful in itself, because whatever he says, other doctors really listen. He is incredibly knowledgeable, which may come across as him not listening, but in fact he is so aware of the symptoms of various illnesses, he often knows what you will say before you've said it. His mind is packed with information and he has an astounding way to manipulate that information to see which conditions are possible considering what your info tells him. He is passionate about what he does and determined to find the answer to the puzzle of your illness.

flag | Submitted April 18, 2017

I am grateful for Dr.Tarnopolsky looking after my son. I think he is very knowledgeable and has helped us immensely. We look forward to seeing him again. He has always been courteous with us. I would recommend him to everyone as he is fantastic!!

flag | Submitted December 30, 2016

Every time I meet with Mark I always feel like I am in good hands. He is incredibly smart and has the true brain of a researcher/scientist. He is so fascinated with family history and trying to figure out what is going on and how he can make it better. Thoroughly enjoy my time at the clinic with him, the genetic counselor and the other specialist that are there!

flag | Submitted August 25, 2016

He used to be a great doctor.. but it seems he has gotten to big for himself. He does not care about the patients or research anymore. You have to wait so long and he only talks to you and does not listen to a word the patient has to say. He easily refers you to somone else. He always brags he made the clinic.... he should leave the clinic.

Submitted August 17, 2016

He is arrogant with a terrible bedside manner. Talked about me to my wife as though I wasn't in the room or as if I was deaf. He has effectively ensured that I won't be able to get follow-up care from any specialist. Prone to tantrums, he is a mean and petty little man.

Submitted July 18, 2016