You may also like

Rate Dr. Lynne Murfin

Dr. Lynne Murfin's Ratings

I would like to address the one star rating from the physician. I'm quite confident that I am the patient he is referring to and that this anonymous rating was posted by a disgruntled doctor from internal medicine I had a consult with just two days prior. Before asking me any questions about my long standing medical history he had made up his mind about the cause of my illness simply because I had chosen to follow a treatment plan set out by Dr M who has only been part of my treatment for the last few months despite the development of my symptoms years before any supplements had even been introduced.

The dangerous doses of prescriptions he is referring to were prescribed by my family doctor not Dr M. Further to that comment I had conversations with both my pharmacist and my family doctor about his concerns and I've been assured it is not an unusual dose and is perfectly safe if used short term. Dr M does not support this drug but understands that for now it is allowing me to have some kind of quality o life. Dr. Anonymous in my opinion is the worst case of a narrow minded ego I have encountered and I'm not surprised after his bahaviour I whitnessed during my appointment that he has taken time to write such an inaccurate and emotionally based review.
I thank him for posting it because this is a good example of the type of arrogance you may encounter when you let traditional Dr.s know you are being treated by a doctor who practices functional medicine. Foruantly many other doctors and specialits have openly admited to me that they have no extensive knowledge or education in functional medicine ad that unfortunately others in their profession are not open to anything they have not been taught in med school.

Remember we once believed the world was flat and those who had evidence that it was in fact round were dismissed and called crazy. Those who believed in the new evidence were ridiculed by educated men who were not open to the new evidence. It should also be noted that the idea of a female doctor would have also been ridiculed. Doctors used to prescribe cocaine and used to smoke in the hospitals. In fact they used to suggest smoking as a way to relax. I'm happy that there were enough people who questioned authority and pursued a better way of life despite opposition of educated influential people to allow for the advancements in norms we enjoy today.

Not too long ago I was so unwell I could not stand up without fainting, I was in chronic pain and a diagnosis could not be made through the resources available through Albera health services. At 30 yrs old I could not wash my own hair or feed myself. Prescriptions from many specialist had landed me in the hospital three times with anaphylactic shock and I have had so many long standing and painful complications from medications prescribed by physicians just like Dr. Anonymous. This is why I turned to Dr. M. I have in the last few months seen improvement in my condition. I now have a better understanding of what is causing my symptoms which is something other physicians could not provide. I would like those reading her reviews to know that during my IV treatments I have had the pleasure of speaking with several patients who are further along in their treatment and have shared their struggles and progress and have all assured me that it is well worth the time and energy (and yes finances).
I can appreciate Dr. A's concern as there are many alternatives to traditional medicine out there that may try to sell you very expensive supplements and promise you the world. I can appreciate that he has seen patients in a vulnerable state of chronic illness falling victim to these fakes. Unfortunately when I was much younger I had spent over $5000 seeing a naturalpath without any results. But you cannot simply label all alternatives to traditional medicine as ineffective. Again do your research and trust your gut. I can assure you Dr. Murfin is not one of these doctors and she is worth every penny we have spent.

Was this rating useful? 7 [[ userState['ratings'][2882129].votes_count ]]

To address Dr. Anonymise’s concerns I have the following to say:
1) Canada is very behind in many aspects of testing and the FDA does not put any time or resources in to researching supplements, my suspicion is that there is no money to be made in supplements and there is much more incentive in supporting pharmaceutical companies (another great topic to research). There is evidence base research and results for many of the tests she has requested and they are widely used in the USA, New Zealand and many other European countries. Canada has yet to review and accept these tests but that should not negate their validity. I’m surprised he brought up this point as he did not allow me the opportunity to share the tests performed nor their results; this leads me to question where his claims are coming from.
2) Dr. Anonymous has no idea the price nor the appropriate dose of said medications because he is not educated in this area and should not be commenting on something he has no fact base evidence to dispute. Those without additional health benefits can expect to pay just as much if not more for prescription medication. I have been without health benefits before and am aware just how expensive FDA approved prescriptions can be. In addition these prescriptions can cost something much more precious than money. My years of experiencing severe side effects from FDA approved prescriptions has significantly diminished my quality of life. I encourage you to pay attention to the list of side effects during commercials for FDA approved drugs. I also encourage you to read up on the many law suits brought against pharmaceutical companies for negligence. The FDA does not have a great tract record in protecting us from harmful effects of drugs. I have yet to find any huge class actions against companies who provide high grade vitamins, minerals and essential fatty acids.
The worst side effects I have experienced with the supplements recommended by Dr. Murfin is a mild headache and some nausea which went away within a few days and was quickly addressed by Dr. Murfin. I would gladly exchange these symptoms for the anaphylactic reactions, the hives, swollen eyes, trouble breathing, acne, irregular menstrual cycles, mood swings, increased heart rate, ulcers, severe nausea to name a few side effects I have endured from the (again FDA approved) drugs prescribed by specialists and family physicians. Some of these symptoms lasted for months and I was told to just “wait it out”.

3) This is one statement I comply agree with. It is true that our complimentary health services provided by Alberta Health Care is not great at treating patients for body and mind nor for chronic illnesses. That is why doctors like Dr. Murfin exist. If you review her history she has well over 25 years of experience as an MD and her reviews as a family physician (previous to functional medicine) are very impressive. She furthered her education in to functional medicine as a way to provide those who have had to live years with chronic illnesses with an alternative to prescriptions drugs (which again have the possibility of dangerous side effects and have been approved by the FDA). She has studied in depth and has tons of experience with healing the body on a molecular level by ensuring that we have the right chemistry to function properly and is treating the cause of your illness not simply masking the symptoms.
Dr. Anonymous is right that Dr. Murfin dresses amazing and her office is beautiful. It is my belief that he is speaking from a place of emotional insecurity and is not thinking critically as he has asked that we do. I have yet to see a study to prove any negligence or a correlation in the price of services based on the way that a doctor dresses nor the way they choose to decorate their office. In fact I question if this has any impact on the quality of care they are able to provide. From a psychological standpoint it has been proven that our environment can impact our moods. So the inspiring décor, calm classical music and lemon water provided just might be something that temporarily improves our mental state. I find her office calming and inspiring.

Was this rating useful? 6 [[ userState['ratings'][2882087].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 31, 2015

Just as I’m willing to pay a premium to eat at a nice restaurant with a stunning ambience (as opposed to a cheap looking fast food joint) I am supportive of this (if his claims are true and a portion of her fee has gone to create this oasis). My alternative was to wait months-years to see a (in this case very rude) physician who is most likely overworked, more often than not has a very limited time to see you and is impossible to reach outside of an appointment with any additional questions or concerns. These appointments usually occur in cold rooms and in an uninviting dull environment. The supporting staff is often openly frustrated (when questioned it is usually a case of inefficient systems/procedures and lack of support from their employer and managers). In this alternative environment I feel like a number not a person. My time is not valued, I feel they view their time as more important. Despite appointments, I have faced unpredictable wait times, long stretches in time when they leave the room stating they’ll “be right back” and very little effort to explain the treatment plan and its impact on my life. I’m usually given a prescription and sent out the door, often accompanied by another referral to a specialist with, again, very little dialogue. I’ve even been sent for tests with the doctor withholding the nature of the test being performed because he did not believe that I had the right to know what was being tested until after the results came back (isn’t this right Dr. Anonymous?). I can’t blame these doctors for this behaviour they are doing the best they can in an environment with overwhelming demands and very little resources.
When I see Dr. Murfin she takes the time to explain absolutely everything in clear and concise vocabulary. She encourages me to research everything and ask her questions. She does not waste my time. She is very punctual and you will never be left in her office wondering how long she will be or questioning what she is doing. If she needs to step out she explains why and it’s never been for more than a minute to ask her staff to look in to something because she is prepared for your case before you step in to her office.
I do not believe Dr. Murfin charges much more than the average doctor, her fees are not covered by Alberta Health Care so instead of her office billing the province, we are billed. Her fees are upfront and you will not be surprised by hidden fees. She is willing to work around the testing that you can afford and does not pressure you to spend money you do not have.
I would be hard pressed to meet a physician who does not dress nice outside of work nor live in an affluent community here in Calgary. Doctors are paid well for their expertise, time and experience because we value their profession. The majority of the costs I have incurred through Dr. Murfin is for the testing, which is only available in the US because again, Canada is behind in times and they are not available in our country. Dr. Murfin does not have any influence on the price these US labs charge and I am willing to pay these prices because they provide me with information that our health care system cannot. I’m so thankful I took these tests, they have provided answers that I have been in pursuit of for years. In regards to supplements Dr. Murfin has encouraged me to search for sources that can provide these supplements at a lower cost online or in the U.S.; for our convenience most are made available at her clinic and it is well known convenience usually comes at a cost. Again she has never pressured me to purchase the supplements from her clinic, she simply offers them.
I cannot say enough kind words about Dr. Murfin. I highly encourage you to take your health into your own hands and question and research everything you can. Knowledge really is power. I hope that uninformed doctors do not intimidate you from receiving the treatment you deserve. If this is something you can afford, I highly recommend pursuing a consult appointment with her. I always leave her office not only with a renewed sense of hope but I’m well informed on what she believes is causing my illness based on test results and how her treatment plan and each supplement will provide the building blocks to a improve this and support a healthy future.
And to Dr. Anonymous I highly recommend that you take the time to inform yourself on the incredible field of functional medicine instead of using your spare time to write slanderous and inaccurate reviews on Rate MDs. I believe you know that what you wrote is not fact based or I suspect that you would not have left this strongly worded review anonymous.

(Response continued as there is a field limit of 5000 characters)

Was this rating useful? 6 [[ userState['ratings'][2882080].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 31, 2015

As a physician having seen Dr. Murfin's patients I can tell you that: 1) there is no evidence base for most of the tests that she orders, besides that which she has mistakenly concocted, 2) she is inappropriately treating patients with not only expensive supplements but also prescription medications in dangerous doses and usages, 3) the placebo effect is 33%, and while I agree that our medical society is not great at treating patients for body and mind, as well as chronic illnesses, that doesn't mean that your only alternative to feel good is someone who charges you thousands of dollars and puts you on an overwhelming number of "natural" supplements, which are not FDA regulated, with no guarantee of their effect or what they even contain.

I understand that patients are frustrated with their limited time with and access to family physicians which is a product of our health care system and doctor shortage, and the limited treatment options for some chronic illnesses, but please think critically about what you are ingesting and paying for, and the quality of care you receive. Just because you are paying a lot, seeing a very well dressed (Avenue Calgary approved) doctor in a beautiful office, who will spend a lot of time with you (because you paid out of pocket for it, so she can afford to), does not mean that Dr. Murfin has all the answers.

Was this rating useful? 3 [[ userState['ratings'][2880866].votes_count ]]

Submitted July 30, 2015

Stumbled across her years ago and have followed her devoutly ever since. She fixes what is broken and prevents further issues from arising. She's not only a doctor but actually preventative maintenance for my body. More people need to offer and seek this sort of health care

Was this rating useful? 6 [[ userState['ratings'][2874680].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 23, 2015

For years doctors have told me I lacked muscle tone, was weak and ignored my complaints of being tired. Dr. Murfin diagnosed me with hypothyroid, celiac, anemia and I am feeling better than I have in 20 years. I am so grateful for my health and also wish her services were accessible through Alberta Medical Care, as her approach is pioneering and would save millions by preventing further complications. My husband will now
see Dr. Murfin and I booked him four follow up appointments within six weeks of his initial visit, knowing how busy she is. I love her staff as they take excellent care of me with booking, supplements, figuring out the testing and nutrition. Thank you!

Was this rating useful? 5 [[ userState['ratings'][2800701].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 7, 2015

Dr.Murfin is incredibly smart and compassionate. Meeting with her is inspiring and educational, however, unless you are a brand new pateint, meeting with her has recently become impossible. She is booking 3 months ahead (like I said unless your a new patient) which is very frustrating when you are trying to implement her changes and follow up on test results. She has clearly taken on too many clients which is very, very disappointing. It's a shame there are not more functional doctors in calgary.

Was this rating useful? 15 [[ userState['ratings'][2652341].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 13, 2014

Dr Murfin is the most compassionate doctor I have ever encountered. She listens and probes in a way that enables her to diagnose and describe back my issues.... Her knowledge and experience then set me off on a path to recovery. I feel supported and well cared for. After 8 months of seeing her I'm feeling markedly re-energised. I feel so much better than I have in years. It's taken my own effort also to follow her advice changing key respects of nutrition ... Advice that's clearly spot on and scientifically meaningful.

Was this rating useful? 10 [[ userState['ratings'][2630897].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 24, 2014

Dr. Murfin has given me my life back. I feel better at age 50, than I did in my 30's, thanks to her. She is kind, compassionate, highly trained in both traditional and functional medicine; and very smart. For years I experienced chronic fatigue and frequent infections. Dr. Murfin identified the underlying causes for my lack of energy and stamina, and my poor immunity. The first year under her care brought dramatic improvements in my health and overall well-being. Since then she has helped me maintain my health and identify the areas that I can focus on to prevent disease and remain vibrant into my senior years. Dr. Murfin has an amazing capacity to pull together the threads from one's medical history and various tests to identify underlying causes of disease processes. Initially, I was concerned about my ability to pay the fee for service at her clinic. But, the results have spoken for themselves. I consider it money well-spent. With Dr. Murfin, the testing conducted is evidence based; and, any supplements or treatment suggested is tailored to the individual's actual genetics and biochemistry. Also, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the cost of all visits and any tests recommended are eligible to be claimed as medical expenses to Revenue Canada.

Was this rating useful? 12 [[ userState['ratings'][2603492].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 2, 2014

I have been under Dr. Murfin's care for close to 3 years now. To say that she has made a big change (for the better) to my overall health would be an understatement. In my experience, Dr. Murfin is a consummate professional: articulate, and a very good listener who keeps herself ahead of the curve when it comes to integrative medicine. As someone who works in an office and suffered from chronic fatigue and weight gain, I found it difficult to find a doctor who would take my issues seriously. Getting to the point of feeling truly healthy again has been a long process and it has not been cheap. But it has been well worth the time and the investment. I have never had an issue with punctuality or the clinic staff - everyone is very friendly and professional.

Was this rating useful? 13 [[ userState['ratings'][2597386].votes_count ]]