Ratings for Dr. Henry Piktel

Dr. P takes the time to really get to know his patients. He's been an incredible pillar of support for my family as he has treated two members and continues to. From my experience, he has taken his time to hear from you and asks lots of helpful questions. I feel it's often overlooked by other patients the amount of time he gives to his patients and the BS he puts up with on a regular basis. The "Eating Disorder mind" is not an easy one to deal with as we know, lol. He gives tough love, but it's what needs to be done in all cases. He doesn't give up on you, which is huge. Often I have witnessed the backlash he receives is coming from patients who aren't ready to receive help yet, and of course then anyone trying to give help is the enemy - so in this case Dr. P. He's a very quirky man and can be quite humorous, which has made me feel more comfortable and at ease with the whole thing. He's always made me feel cared for as he remembers small details and facts from months and months ago as it's been 5 years since I first met him for my own personal issues. My family has been involved with him for well over 11 years. If you are willing to put in the work necessary, or at least seek help with as open of a mind as possible, you'll love Dr. Piktel. I have found his office to be incredibly accommodating when squeezing in appointments for me! Oh and a bonus his office will make you laugh too. He's a good man and doctor - this definitely wouldn't be an easy profession and it makes me disappointed to hear other people's negative views on him. Keep in mind everyone's opinions/experiences will vary with their circumstances and own personal outlook and attitude!

flag | Submitted November 27, 2017

Dr is highly ineffective in regards to the responsibilities needing to be met . Fails to meet modern day knowledge pertaining to his specific field of work instead he confidently proceeds to continue treating patients with his outdated textbook knowledge. He's extremely close minded and judgemental his professional opinion lives inside a box . He's fixated on his textbook understanding of the disorder and his priorities lye within pushing pharmaceuticals to meet patient needs instead of providing appropriate resources and counselling services for the patient to cope and successfully recover from the disorder. Dr Piktel is extremely ignorant, neglectful and irresponsible. His treatment services and opinions are outdated and useless in today time and he is unable to separate his personal advice from his professional advice which as far as I'm concerned neither have no relevant grounds to stand on either way. This man should have never been appointed any authority to care for patients with eating disorder or addiction or mental health these all tie together and Dr Piktel doesn't even know it . He is rediculous and presents disappointment and shame upon Alberta health care services .

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

I was under the care of Dr. Piktel for about 12 years. I can say without a doubt that he is a wonderful doctor. He put up with my resistance to recover for years and I finally recovered with the help of himself and his team at the u of a. He works on tough love but he truly cares. He is very patient but he will not give in to your eating disorder games or lies. That is his job. Without him I would not be alive and recovered today. He is the only psychiatrist who could get through my illness and help me be me.

flag | Submitted July 5, 2017

This man is not well. I highly suggest refraining from seeing him, as the potential for harm is greater than the benefits of his services.

flag | Submitted February 13, 2017

Dr piktel saved my life more then once I am from Calgary so I can say with confidence that he is way better then anyone there. He is big on tough love and will not put up with your eating disorder games. He was almost always good to talked to and although I have been there more then once (inpatient) i believe the medication he gave me this last round has helped me get to a better place. He is very forgiving which is great. I would recommend him to anyone struggling with anorexia.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2017

I have been seeing Dr. Piktel for sixteen years and I can say without hesitation that I would not be alive without him. I cannot believe all the negative comments on here. He is extremely busy and so yes, he may not always be perfectly punctual, but he always makes time to see you. He is funny and always finds time to help his patients. He has two offices- one on the main floor and one on the 4th floor (where the eating disorder program is), so if you are complaining about a call not being returned remember that he has 2 offices, and is the only eating disorder program in Northern Alberta. He also takes most of the patients from Southern Alberta, as the Calgary program is terrible. He will not put up with drama or games, but if you are willing to do the work, he will always stand by you.

flag | Submitted December 12, 2016

Was told I would be seen in a couple of weeks, but it has been over a month. Very upset and tried to get a straighter answer but he's never in his office and doesn't return calls.

flag | Submitted November 24, 2016

I find Dr.Piktel and his staff very supportive. My daughter started seeing him when she was 15 and is presently 17 now. It is an on going process that is not a quick fix like I originally thought. The hardest stage is where she is at now - maintaining her weight. She has attended in patient meals which has been very helpful. This has allowed respite for myself and ensures that she is eating enough. This is one of the toughest struggles not only for her but for our whole family. I find the comments about Dr.Piktel very interesting. As with everything in life - everyone has their own opinion. I feel that what you put into a doctor -patient relationship is what you get out of it. I am thankful for this eating disorder clinic at the U of A hospital and very thankful for the dieticians and psychologists who work as a team to help with this mental illness.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2016

I remember him being nice enough during the interview and the follow up. He's not someone who actually listens to what you're saying though or maybe he just has a selective memory. I remember he offered me a coffee which I emphatically said no to saying that coffee doesn't help me. It's also helpful when you personally make the tough choice to see a psychiatrist and not a psychologist, they take note of a proper family case history instead of trying to find pseudo scientific reasons for gynecological surgeries. You can only try to tell them so many times that you don't like the meds you're being given until it seems like they're purposely not listening to you.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2016

My daughter was 14 when she first started out patient treatment with Dr. Piktel and is currently in the recovery stage of maintaining her weight for 1 year now. He is very supportive and we have no issues with him or his staff. I am finding that this is the most challenging for her as she is struggling to be confident with maintaining her weight. Even though she is at her proper weight now he has let us know that this can be an ongoing challenge and that no matter what his program will always be there to support her.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2016