Ratings for Dr. Mark N. Awantang

My experience with Southern Orthopedics was a nightmare. I was injured while overseas and had to return to the United States for further treatment. On June 1st, 2017, I severed the top portion of my right index finger. Along with this I fractured my finger in two spots and completely crushed the bone in another area. I returned home on June 23rd and was referred to Dr. Mark Awantang who specializes in hand injuries. Upon my first visit I had to wait over an hour to be seen. Once I was called back I was seen by his assistant, Don. Don did not act as if he was concerned with how I injured my finger and did not provide much information. He stepped out and Dr. Awantang entered. Awantang explained my finger was broke and it would heal on its own. He then stated if it didn't begin to heal then he would insert screws into my finger. I returned for a 2 week follow up and again was seen by Don. Don states my finger is still broke but mending and he wanted to give it more time to heal on its own. Then he grabs the tip of my finger where it's broke and tries bending my joint. On my 3 week follow up (now it's been almost 6 weeks since first seeing a specialist and 8 weeks since my injury) I again see Don. He tells me my break is healing but it's still not completely healed. He says again he is trying to avoid surgery. I explained to him that I work overseas and needed to get back. He shrugs that off and says he will see me in two weeks. Also during this appointment he flicks my broke finger and says he was seeing how much pain I was still in. At this point I'm frustrated because it's been basically 2 months and I am getting nowhere. So I go to the Andrew's Institute in Gulf Breeze and see another specialist. I have my doctors appointment in the morning and was in surgery that afternoon. The doctor stated my finger was not showing signs of healing and was completely broke in half. This doctor advised my finger was not going to heal on its own because my bones weren't connecting. He put pins in my finger, found where my nail matrix was damaged and needed repairing and closed a large gash that was still underneath my fingernail from the initial injury. He also found where a chunk of my bone had been cut off as well. Dr, Awantang's office cost me money, time from work and unnecessary pain because they didn't know what they were doing or just didn't care. I also had to keep calling their office to remind them to submit my paperwork for my short term disability. I do not recommend them to anyone. I also want to mention that I retrieved my x-rays from Awantang's office and you can see in every x-ray from June 28th to August 3rd there was no change in my injury. You could see where the bones were broke and completely separated.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

Staff was friendly and helpful. Dr. Awantang uses med students for the preliminary interview, but they seem to be knowledgeable and helpful. I felt like Dr. Awantang really cared about my injury.

flag | Submitted January 30, 2009

Dr. Mark N. Awantang's Credentials

• Wright State University School Of Medicine (Grad. 2001)

Chambers of Commerce