Ratings for Dr. Barbara A. Charles

She is the worst ever. She should lose her license.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2017

Barbara Charles is officially family to us...After spending months with her at her practice and getting honestly the best care one could only dream to have during a pregnancy, my husband, daughter, new son and myself consider her just that...FAMILY! Barbara gave me my dream birth experience... This was my 2nd time giving birth naturally...My first birth was a natural (no epidural, out of water hypno birth)..Which I though went very well, we prepared, took classes, had a two week recovery time, healthy child and completed it all naturally. I thought we did it all right... Then I met Barbara and from the start she was extremely dedicated to taking the time to make sure I was well prepared for the best birth possible... With Barbaras leadership and care and following all the preparation she taught me for the water birth and it turned out being 100 times better! This lead to my recovery time being literally just 24 hours... I was walking the next day and felt incredible! I able to breastfeed without any issues. The most important part about a natural birth is really listening and allowing yourself to take in all your teachings. Let the birth just happen, don't fight it and don't say "it's not for me"...Give everything a chance or else you won't learn. You really need to listen to Barbara's advice so your pregnancy goes smoothly and so your body is healthy physically and mentally to do the water birth. If you follow her lead she will get you there no doubt. While I wouldn't be honest to say there are some things you cannot control (in life) when it comes to any birthing experiences Barbara will do everything to show you all the natural methods to make sure you stay on track. Example: if your baby is turned the wrong way in your belly she show you methods of what to do to turn the baby...Something I myself had an issue with and she helped correct! She gave me such great advice during my entire pregnancy that kept me healthy, strong, positive and ready for my water birth...And the best part was it wasn't just for myself it was for my family! I made sure my husband and daughter took extra care of themselves with vitamins and natural methods so make sure we all stayed healthy during the pregnancy! I am truly am so blessed to have met such a wonderful positive REAL organic person that guided me in the right direction. I will continue to follow her smart advice for healthy breastfeeding and I am honored to be one of her many successful birth stories in her midwifery practice. Much love & respect, Elissa, Scott, Claire, and new WATER baby Cayden :)

flag | Submitted July 27, 2017

This woman is a complete kook! I wanted a healthy baby and I wanted to enjoy my delivery. Which is something I made clear from the beginning. Barbar assured me since we would be in the hospital that epidurals and pain meds would be available. We talked about this multiple times and I made sure it was clear that an epidural was something that I was planning on having. At the hospital I requested an epidural right away as I was 4cms by the time I got there. My husband and I asked multiple times. Barbara got completely flustered had the doula(who I honestly didn't even this was necessary but she insisted) perform acupressure as pain management. She also kept trying to get me to do a water birth and insisted the hot water would be better than any epidural. I made it clear to her in no uncertain terms that I did not desire a drug free water birth. Power to the women who can do that, but its just not me. Only after 35 minutes of insistanting and my husband threatening to go have another provider called did she finally acquiesce and call the anesthesiologist. I was in so much pain and to my utter dismay the anesthesiologist informed me that I didn't have to wait until I was 4cms and why didn't I request one sooner as its easier to get a handle on pain before it gets really out of control. I said Barbara said I couldn't have one until I was at least 4cms dialated to which he said that wasn't hospital policy and I could have had IV pain meds in the beginning if the pain wasn't too bad. After I had the epidural the pain was better but I wasn't able to get the full benefit since my pain was just so out of control by the time Barbara went and did the right thing. I couldn't believe it. Barbara wanted to force he beliefs on me. Run in the other direction from this woman. We discussed my desire for iv pain meds and epidurals at multiple visits and when it really counted she went and flopped on me. She should be banished from the medical community as she is a snake-oil merchant. Trying to sell me on weird diets and castor oil consumption. I guess she didn't get the memo that ricin(a deadly poison) is made from castor beans! Its a shame she didn't respect my wishes and it seems from the other reviews she has a habit of doing that. She really made my birth an unpleasant and honestly because of that experience(it was my first) I am hesitant to try again and that really is a shame. If I do get pregnant again no more quacks..I'm going to a ob/gyn for sure!

flag | Submitted July 15, 2017

I have to say I am SHOCKED by the negative reviews. After having the unique privilege of birthing three of my daughters with her, my experience is completely the opposite. First off, some of these negative reviews are just not helpful and are not actually looking to benefit a reader curious about reading about a midwife, but looking to slander a real midwife because of their own biases and prejudices. Just look at some of the reviews. How can that even be allowed? I really hope this site develops some kind of rebuttal button. After all of the years I have known Barbara, I stand by the claim that she is one of the most caring, informative, professional and courteous professionals I have ever met. She is the definition of a true midwife. I am so grateful to have met her, and truly feel like we have a special kindred connection. This is who a true midwife is. All three of my labors were vastly different from one another. My oldest I had no idea what I was doing and what I was going to experience ( pain and emotional wise- not something you can blame a midwife for). However having Barbara at my side to fight off the hungry C section crazed doctors saved me from having to get a completely unnecessary c section. She has always fought for me during labor. Even when I was being over the top and not wanting to cooperate. She has never done anything to hurt me or my children, she has always had my best interest at heart as my midwife. I have to love the comment by the previous negative poster who said Barbara is a sell out. That is the biggest line of BS I ever read. She is the SOLE REASON I never got C sections. All of my labors were long and intense (except for my middle one which was easy, but long and doctors STILL wanted to section me). My appreciate for Barbara didn't bloom to what it is now until the birth of my youngest daughter. To make a very long story short, I had a threatened labor that was very scary. Room full of nurses and doctors and Barbara ( who never left the room for hours have no idea what other people are talking about-she was there the whole time). The attending nurse ( the head honcho who calls the shots and over rides everyone in the room) was amazed at Barbara's handling of my labor. Cord around the neck, heart beat up and down, I thought I was going to lose her a few times.. Barbara fought for me. She fought for my daughter. When she left the room to get equipment and other aids, I had a terrible experience with the doctors and nurses bullying me into getting an emergency c section, trying to throw papers in my face making me sign things I had no idea what was going on. Taking full advantage ( or trying to) as a scared mother. The head nurse could have called it at any time if I was in real danger but she saw Barbara's handling of the labor and trusted her and right now as I type this I am looking at my beautiful healthy little girl. Because Barbara is such a devoted midwife, she saw me after hours at her office next to NUMC. I knew something was wrong and she was the only one to believe me even though her exam came back clear ( and my husband thought I was just being anxious). Had she pushed me off until the next day to be seen I do not believe my daughter would be here today. It took me over 2 years to get over my severe, debilitating post pardem anxiety but I can tell you, Barbara was my saving grace in my labor. she not only got my daughter out alive and healthy, but she saved me from a possibly very damaging and traumatic rush c section. Barbara is a true midwife. She is not a hybrid or someone who dabbles in natural birth and delivery, she is a real and hardcore. She knows what works and what doesn't work. She knows what you have to do to pass a baby naturally, and things you should avoid . I was very young when my oldest was born, and in true midwife fashion Barbara helped me understand everything that was happening. She taught me how to be the mother I am today. I had no idea how to even hold a baby. She was very caring and patient with me. She does not pander to the hospital and doctors regardless of what other people ( who I guarantee have not worked with her as extensively as other positive reviewers have) . I have first hand seen Barbara give it to doctors, nurses, anyone who tried to take advantage of her patients. Maybe the biggest thing she is guilty of is caring too much. She works so hard for so many families and for what seems to be little appreciation in return. Is she rough around the edges, maybe! Is she brutally honest when it comes to health and caring for your pre and post natal care? Absolutely. Is she a good midwife? The best god damn midwife I have ever met. If you are serious about getting over the top, true old school midwifery care, then give Barbara a call. She is a one woman show who works her tail off for her mothers. Those who have worked with her for as long as I have know she is amazing. Thank you for everything Barbara.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

I have known Barbara for many years. I knew the way she handles her practice from the show on TLC "A Baby Story" several years ago.. I had twins with an OBGYN 9 years ago and I hated the way I was just considered another number to the doctors. I was an in and out patient like everyone else. Nothing was personable. and things were done on the doctors time. the way I wanted my labor and birth story to go was definitely not what was respected and/ or how it went down... I knew when i was to get pregnant again, i wanted to take a different route. fast forward many years later. I sought our midwifes. Barbara was the first to check out. With my twins i had a csection. So i wanted someone to help me achieve a VBAC. I called her and we made the appointment immediately.. even though her main office is within her home, I actually like the coziness, laid back, comfortable, non sterile environment she offers.. being pregnant and having a baby is a natural normal thing. People have had babies in the woods, no doctors at all. no hand washing. and they lived.. Barbara is far from incompetent.. she is skilled beyond belief. yes she talks about chem trails and power plants.. BUT its because she cares about this planet and what we are bringing our children into. her values and beliefs and way of practice is different from any OBGYN.. so if thats what your looking for she is not for you. She has answered all my calls and texts even at 3am If your looking for a home and a personable experience and someone to truly be part of your family for many months to come this is someone to this is who u want

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

I will be forever grateful to Barbara for my successful VBAC. We worked together to have the best possible outcome. She was kind and although ran late during appointments always gave full attention during our time together. She gave me a pelvic exam during our first visit helping to make possible sense of the cesarean at my first birth. She is intuitive, experienced and the staff at the hospital has a lot of respect for her having delivered almost all of their babies. She tucked me in at night during my stay after the baby was born and we cried together about the labor and delivery. She may not be for everyone but I wanted to do the work with her and trusted her and the result has forever changed my life and enabled me to heal from my first birth.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2017

Barbara was everything I wanted in a midwife. I was so grateful she was the one who delivered my second child. I desperately wanted an unmedicated, natural water birth where I felt like I was in control and the not the medical staff. I did not get the water birth I envisioned because the labor and delivery happened so fast, however I did get a birth without medical interventions. Barbara was patient, knowledgeable and made me feel as if she was a family member delivering my child. I truly felt cared for which seems to be an anomaly today. Barbara has been a midwife for over thirty years and she knows her stuff! After delivery she gave me tons of information on what to eat and do to get my breastfed baby to gain a healthy amount of weight. She also gave me information on how to heal my uterus and body. I was never given this information before and it proved to be invaluable. The only drawback I must note is the amount of time you have to wait to be seen when you get to the office, but when it was our turn we were never rushed and all of our questions/concerns were always addressed. I was impressed with the quality of Barbara’s care. Thank you for an incredible experience Barbara and always creating an environment that is filled with love and positivity. Forever grateful!

flag | Submitted April 23, 2017

I've known Barbara for about 8 years, as she delivered my son who is 7 years old now. She rescued me then from a slew of horrible doctors I had come across who not only didn't understand holistic care but also put me down for my beliefs. Barbara was a God send then and now, as I'm pregnant with my second. Her care goes above and beyond as she leaves no stone unturned. Holistic care means looking at all aspects of a person's life to ensure that not only the pregnancy and the birth go well but that the total health of the baby is preserved. It seems to me that these negative reviews are coming in from people who are not truly holistic or at least lack understanding of the full scope of embracing a natural wellness lifestyle (which involves food, air and water quality at the very least and yes, no vaccinations for baby ! In fact, there is a direct negative correlation between education and rate of vaccinations....the more educated a person is, formally, then the less likely they are to vaccinate their children. That's because REAL research actually shows no effectiveness! ). Barbara absolutely educates on each visit about all of the unhealthy toxic things going on so as mothers we can make better decisions from a place of empowerment. She is SUPER smart and knowledgeable about these topics, always staying abreast. As a HOLISTIC mom, I totally appreciate that ! It's true that Barbara was concerned about weight gain with my first but with the understanding that good nutrition provides for a better chance that the baby that can be delivered vaginally, which is one of the main reasons why her care is sought. Nevertheless, I was never treated poorly or berated by her. In fact, she is so lovingly warm and attentive, while also having the ability to advocate like heck for her patients. I would have been c-sectioned three times over had Barbara not advocated for me. I had my son vaginally and didn't tear thanks to how the baby was delivered and the preparation that was done as per Barbara weeks prior. In fact, I was in labor for 36 hours and any time that I needed her , she was right there by my side! She has provided consultation to me over the phone (for no fee and no insurance reimbursement) many, many times over the last few months after a miscarriage and during my current pregnancy. If I need to speak with her she is always available. She takes her time to answer all my questions and I leave with a hug ! No one on Earth is like Barbara... She is passionate about what she does and truly cares about the wellbeing of her patients. Our family is so grateful to have her in our lives!

flag | Submitted March 14, 2017

I wish I listened to the negative reviews,but I didn't and I went against my intuition and better judgement in choosing and staying with Barbara Charles for my pregnancy and birth of my child. PLEASE do not put yourself or your child at risk with this looney. I am still mentally recovering from my traumatizing labor and delivery. I get anxiety now and palpitations when I think or talk about my experience with friends and/or family. I can't even put in to words how phony, crazy, heartless and cruel this woman is. I'm truly appalled that Barbara still has hospital privileges after hearing so many other horror stories, but then again NUMC isn't a hospital known for exceptional care. Speaking of NUMC, you won't see the recovery rooms during your tour there, you'll only see the newly updated and renovated birth center. Ask to see the dirty and uncomfortable, shared recovery rooms. There was an ant infestation in our room and in the rooms of a few of our neighbors at the time. It's not exactly a clean and welcoming place for you, your husband and your newborn baby. My entire labor and delivery experience, with the exception of a FEW amazing nurses (Thank God for them), was horrible. For the rest of my life I have to live with the memory of a traumatizing labor, delivery and recovery. Save yourself! I want to know how many women and babies died during childbirth with her. I'd be shocked if there aren't at least a few. Don't take the chance. She'll reel you in with her phony "niceness," and then you'll get to a point, after one or two visits, where you realize it's absolutely not you and your pregnancy hormones, it's absolutely her. She doesn't listen and her hands are tied to truly offer you the natural birth you long for. She doesn't stand for what a midwife is, she's a sell-out to the hospital for her paycheck (and insurance fraud). She'll tell you that you need to trust her, and that she's been doing this forever, yada yada yada...but she doesn't know what's best for you. If you try her you run the risk of it being too late to change midwives because the great ones are booked. This was my problem. I ran out of time and exhausted my options for other midwives. I REALLY tried. I regret now not just using an OB/GYN since none of my birth experience was "natural," calm, supported and tender anyway. She was literally a butcher. She tries to do too much for her age. I was told ages in her 80's but doesn't look it. She'll sleep in the corner while the nurses handle most of your delivery. Her offices in East Meadow and Huntington are unsanitary, cramped and if a peeping Tom wanted to get a peek it would be very easy because the doors and windows are not secure. I often wondered if her instruments were actually clean and how many times did she dry her hands on the same old towel after each patient. Aren't you supposed to use disposable paper towels for that? Yuck! Gross! She's a horror!

Submitted January 19, 2017

The reason I went to Barbara was because I was interested in an unmedicated underwater birth. I was having a tough time choosing between this and the traditional hospital route. I am SO glad I chose to leave Barbara and go with a real doctor. She tried to scare me by telling me they were going to take scissors and cut me to get the baby out. This did not happen! I did not get cut nor did I tear. I had an epidural and I am so glad because labor was not painful at all and I recovered quickly. Barbara is a bit scary. Her office is in a smelly old basement in her home. She will give you a crazy diet of 15 vitamins a day, teas, no bread no sugar no juice. Basically you will eat nothing but vegetables and water to ensure you have a small baby. I ate everything I normally eat, including bread sugar and juice and had a small 6 pound baby. I do not trust her, her advice is bull. She's pushy and takes hours. She will babble on about random stuff like Chem trails or talk about her family. Everything felt very unsanitary and unprofessional. By the way she will get crazier with each visit. She will also try to tell you what to do with your baby. Like no vaccines and will urge you to pick the pediatrician she chooses. Run away! Go to a regular hospital where you will be in control of your pregnancy and your baby

Submitted December 27, 2016