Ratings for Dr. Basil Shilash

If you're seeking a very basic GP for the purpose of simple diagnoses, doctor's notes, and referrals to specialists, he will do. Otherwise, I advise you look elsewhere - His understanding & knowledge is highly "textbook", at best, and he does not seem to have the ability to apply what he's learned in school/read in journals with an awareness of context, proximal variables, & measure. He also seems more concerned with guidelines & quotas than the unique case of his patient. As FYI: This opinion was formed from visits over a matter of years, not a "one-time" negative experience. I have since moved on and not looked back.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2017

Dr Shilash is ok. There is some truth to the comments left below. He's just ok not bad not gread - somewhere in the middle. His front desk staff however are TERRIBLE. No sense of ugency whatsoever. I live in Brampton which is where this office is and it's faster for me to drive over there than wait on hold! They never pick up the phone, and you have no option to leave a message. There is a lady there with chin length hair it's a brown/red color and she wears glasses and I'd guess she's between 45-5 years old. She is really what made me leave this review. I NEVER leave negative reviews but she is so awful. No empathy or patience, seems annoyed, if you walk in w/o an appointment she kisses her teeth and smirks at you in a condescending and mean spirited way. I've experienced this first hand on more than one occasion! And whenever I go there I see 2-3 other staff crowded around one computer...how many people does it take to figure out a computer system?! The doctors may be ok and even some good but their front desk staff need a wake up call. Don't work in the healthcare industry if you HATE people. Period. Get a better phone system and process for answering calls! We understand you are busy and it can be overwhelming but you have to understand that you are dealing with people who are sick and that last thing they need is to be abused by your rudeness!

flag | Submitted May 24, 2017

Just so you know I have moved from Brampton to Richmond Hill and I still rather drive all the way to Brampton to see Dr. Shilash. Yes sometimes he gets after me, for not following instruction on meds but he also calls me personally to find out if lab results indicate concern or needs to change prescription. etc etc. He refers me to excellent specialists and always calls them directly to set up my appointments indicating urgency and priority so I get in quick! All those complaining should check out US doctors. First of all far from free and included in your taxes and the waiting room is always overbooked. Yeah Hospitals are quick but dr waiting rooms are horrible. With Dr Shilash you are always seen within minutes of your appt. The staff... thats another thing, sometimes uncaring and rude.

flag | Submitted March 24, 2015

Dr. Shilash has been my Doctor since Dr. McShane passed away. From the beginning I found Dr. Shilash to be a very poor listener, interruptive , rude .I have never developed a rapport with him and I am always nervous when I have to see him. He lacks compassion and lectures me as if I am stupid. I never know what his mood is going to be when I enter his office. He rarely talks directly to me and continues to type while I am speaking. He won't give me copies of my test results and I always have to ask for the readings ... cholesterol,H A1C-, blood pressure. I have a multitude of health issues . Heart disease, diabetes, anxiety , depression high blood pressure. He has me on so many medications if wonder if they are all necessary. I wouldn't want to discuss this with him as I know he'd be angry. As I am a senior, I need a doctor who is patient and kind and explains things in a clear manner. My husband has experienced the same issues with him.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2015

incompetent. liar, negligent, not god medical care

flag | Submitted September 4, 2014

I read all the comments posted her and I feel I need to specifically address the very first one at the bottom. I'm sure the doctor did not say those patients had those specific diseases. The more likely scenario is, he suggested results of tests indicated the possibility of those diseases. I'm sure he would have referred them to specialists to investigate. Now on to my experience. I too had Dr. McShane my whole life before he passed away. I found Dr. Shilash a fairly good replacement and he certainly ensures all the bases are covered by sending me to specialists as needed. I did find my husband did not mesh well with him and I suspect that is the problem with most people with negative feedback here. My husband chose to find another doctor, but that is all based on personalities, not Dr. Shilash's capabilities as a doctor. I'm happy with him and my health care.

flag | Submitted December 11, 2011

Before I had even seen him he had gotten as much info about any hospital visits etc. as he could about me. He gave me as much time as I needed to explain my problems,and immediately got on board with our plan of attack for my (many) health issues! He is inspiring and makes you feel cared about. He gave me sh*t for not doing some stuff and even phoned me at home to follow up on another test I had done! When did YOUR doctor, or any doctor do that last? He explains everything that we are doing and patiently answers any questions you ask. He is warm and caring and is truly dedicated to helping you. After dealing with uncaring doctors, he is a breath of fresh air and has inpired me to do MY part in getting my health back! He is fantastic! His staff are friendly, helpful and dedicated. Wonderful office vibe! After 3 visits I have NEVER had to wait for my appointment. He is ON TIME!! Excellent!

flag | Submitted October 28, 2011

I am shocked to see such untrue negative comments here. I am American and from my arrival to Canada 7 yrs ago, I have been treated with the most insensitive and unknowledgeable doctors who treat patients like cattle. I wrongly assumed most of the good doctors must have gone to practice in the States. About a year ago I transferred to Dr. Shilash and I have been amazed from day one. He is extremely professional, Respectful and knowledgeable. I now compare him to some of the best doctors in the States. He always explains in full detail the disease and has helped me understand diabetes and HBP better. He never hesitates to refer me to proper specialists and always personally follows up after labwork and referrals and even personally calls in my RX to pharmacy. Recently I took 19 yr daughter and in medical terms he explained the dangers of unprotected sex and desease involved, tatoos and piercings which I had trouble discussing with her. She was very comfortable with him too. Great doctor!

flag | Submitted July 29, 2011

My experience with Dr Shilash was horrible. He is an incompetent doctor. He is rude, arrogant, tries to intimidate. He wouldn’t listen to a word I had to say. I went to him with an ankle injury. I was in pain, couldn’t put full weight on it, and had swelling. He sends me back to work - full duties, saying there is nothing wrong with my ankle. Turns out it was broken. No sending for x-rays – NOTHING!!. He cost me time and money. What should have taken 6 weeks to heal took 3 months due his incompetence to be able to diagnose a simple broken ankle. I do not recommend him at all. How some of you think he is a great doctor is beyond me. He is lousy!!

flag | Submitted December 4, 2010

He always rushes to make a quick diagnosis without listening to you first. He is not at all well-trained.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2010