Ratings for Dr. Laura L. Shelton

I have never written any sort of review on the internet before, for anything, but I am so appalled by my experience with this doctor and practice that I must share. I am offended, dumbfounded, humiliated, and determined to reach as many expecting women in the greater Corpus Christi area with my story as possible. I would not want anyone else to be treated the way that I was. I only had one initial OB appointment with Dr. Shelton. I came prepared with questions that an informed patient would ask. Examples of questions that I asked her included her C-section rate vs. the hospital C-section rate and her position on things like induction, episiotomies, and other interventions. I was early for my appointment, polite to all office staff (despite their inability to find my medical records after they had been sent repeatedly and after the office staff had promised me they would personally retrieve them in time for my appointment with Dr. Shelton), and respectful to Dr. Shelton. She did not give me any indication that she did not plan on seeing me again during my appointment and sent me to get bloodwork and to schedule my next appointment. You can imagine my surprise, then, when I received a patient dismissal letter two days later via certified mail banning me from seeing any of the seven physicians at the practice, forever. The letter did not explain why I was being dismissed and I had to call to find out. The nurse's answer was vague and did not come close to any of the reasons that doctors might dismiss patients (repeated missed appointments, refusal to pay, violence, non-compliance with treatment, etc.). The nurse did tell me that all of the doctors at the practice agreed with Dr. Shelton's decision. I must say, I have a very hard time believing that seven busy doctors convened to discuss me after my appointment was over at 3pm in time for a letter to go out by 5pm, when it took just one doctor (Dr. Shelton) two solid days just to review my chart and decide whether she wanted to take me on as a patient in the beginning, but I digress. I have shared this experience with a maternal fetal medicine specialist who was in practice for 20 years, an OB/GYN nurse, and many others, and all agree that the patient dismissal letter was totally unmerited and inappropriate. I was urged by more than one person to file a formal complaint, and despite the practice thinking they have covered themselves by sending me a formal letter, some light research tells me that this may qualify as "patient abandonment" due to the lack of discussion and information regarding the dismissal. No one I confided in has any idea as to why they would take such extreme measures against me. One guess is that they practice coercive medicine and they don't appreciate educated patients who they don't feel they can control and who question their practices. Regardless of the reason, clearly they are not hurting for patients if they so readily get rid of them. Not that I would want to return to this practice, but the fact that they won't take me does impact me and my unborn baby. They effectively eliminated seven physicians who my insurance participates with and who practice in the hospital that I plan to deliver in. Even many years from now, even if there were to be a complete turnover of doctors at the practice, I could not attempt to receive care from them because I have been banned from the practice itself. You will ultimately have to be the judge of this doctor and practice yourself, but if you do select them as your healthcare provider, I would not get too attached.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2016

I recently was a patient at Dr. Shelton's office. My insurance covers annual visits 100% so when I received a bill for $69 I called to see what I was being billed for. I was told by the staff that I discussed something besides just the pap smear. Being that I was a new patient, I felt it was important to give a history on myself and I let the nurse know that a few other Dr.'s had been concerned that I might have endometriosis. I explained to the woman in billing that I had given my history but that it wasn't really discussed. She said "sorry you shouldn't have discussed anything and you wouldn't of been charged." I asked to speak with Dr. Shelton sure this was a mistake but they never let me speak to her directly. Basically, if you mention any concerns or have any pre-existing conditions at this office, you are slapped with a bill. What makes it worse, is they do not make you aware that you will be billed when you give your history. It's like they trap you!

flag | Submitted February 17, 2013

I have seen Dr Shelton for over 10 years with good care but I have changed to a new Dr after a hard experience this past year. I Lost complete trust in her. Dr shelton's post-surgery appt was rushed and painful for me to remove stitches a few days earlier than usual, post-surgery since she was leaving the office for a week. Nothing was applied to numb the area and it was severe pain with tears running down my face but shocked more by her rush to get out of the room with nothing said to me. I had to keep calling her nurse for over 2 long weeks for suspicious lab results Dr shelton had told me immediately before the stitches removed. I fell through the crack of patient care in the middle of her vacation. Her nurse was sorry about all of this but Dr shelton never called. I feel hurt by her lack of sensitivity and follow-up care, explanation or direct communication.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2013

This dr was highly recommended to my by other moms. However, the dr and her staff were very unsensitive to my personal needs. I called them back several times for results, and kept getting the runaround. I was so dissapointed that someone would hold medical results and take over 1 week to release them to you, when your whole life is on hold. I suggest anyone looking for a dr, check around 1st before putting the life of your unborn with this dr.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2012

I will never go to another OB/GYN again, Dr Shelton is the best! She takes her time, answers questions, is very gentle and reassuring. I'm so glad I found her. The only bad part is plan on being in the waiting room for at LEAST an hour, they're always way behind. But in my opinion, she's worth the wait :)

flag | Submitted January 1, 2009

Dr. Laura L. Shelton's Credentials

• Texas A & M University College Of Medicine (Grad. 1995)