Dr. Brenda Lau

Ratings for Dr. Brenda Lau

very kind and caring doctor. she has a difficult job but she does it quite well. everytime I went to the clinic all the staff have been extremely respectful and kind. I just wish there was windows here!

flag | Submitted March 15, 2017

Not at at all helpful for my complex chronic pain. I find any dealings I have with her are very frustrating. I think the government needs to really evaluate what this clinic is doing. I am pleased to see that it seems to help some.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2017

She discharges me and I had to FIGHT to get back in to the clinic by my GP constantly trying to get me back into the clinic! She gave no explanation to the receptionist why I was discharged from the clinic. She never would return phone calls back to my doctor ( I heard she there has been this problem with other patients). Then when I finally went back to the clinic for the 2nd time, she demoralized my pain. She told other doctors NOT to treat my upper lumbar. I have had ISite from my lower thoracic to my upper sacrum EXCEPT one area of my lumbar that she put in the report to tell doctors NOT to treat with no explanation. I never got my completion of treatment for my lower back. My last appointment , the doctors refused to treat and I walked out with NOTHING! No explanation. Nothing whatsoever of why they would not inject my upper lumbar, NOTHING! I was supose to get my cervical done, after the lumbar, but then SHE DISCHARGED ME AGAIN!! WHO WOULD NOT BE UPSET??? NO EXPLANATION? THIS IS COMPLETE DISREPECT FOR PATIENT QUALITY CARE AND SHE SHOULD BE REPRIMANDED FOR HORRIBLE TREATMENT OF THROWING PATIENTS OUT IN DIFFUSED CHRONIC PAIN!! Do NOT hesitate to write a complaint to the COLLEGE OF PHYSICANS AND SURGEONS OF BC, if there is any complaints you have against her or any doctor for that matter. Doctors need to be accountable for their treatment to patients.

flag | Submitted March 8, 2017

Great doctor working with a great team. I am glad to be going to CHANGEpain, I feel improvement.

flag | Submitted February 1, 2017

Dr. Lau and the rest of the team at CHANGEpain have given me hope. I am a chronic pain patient and have been to so many other physicians and other health care providers I can't even count. Finally I've found a team that looks at the overall picture of what might be contributing to my ongoing problem. I've learned that I need to change my approach to how I think about my condition. Dr. Lau and her team are helping me figure out how to take charge of my situation

flag | Submitted November 20, 2016

Horrible doctor! I only saw her once and she closes my case without any diagnostic help! My doctors have had to call her to reopen my file to come back, only to not give me treatment for diagnostic testing in the exact places I mentioned was my vital area of issue and mentioned on the initial visit! Almost one year later and did not even touch the spots, only to give injection above and below the locations of the back! A doctor diagnosed those locations of the back at another clinic , so why not at Changepain me and my GP asked? The test results are to be used for potential surgery to fix a pain syndrome in the lower back! Now my doctor is trying to call her AGAIN! They drop you like flies and go to the next 'flying patient" and then close your case, and to wait over a month to get copies of your file and have to pay a fee!! Hospitals dont charge and the clinic is publicly funded! Brenda Lau pretends she cares, but insidiously I was able to see she has become desensitized to people in pain. The clinic is for wealthy people who can afford private Katamine and other medication injections of $1800 a day. After all, it is on the Westside of Vancouver, where all the other wealthy people are. She cares more for $$ than she does for people.

flag | Submitted August 16, 2016

Went in to see Brenda for a follow up after being a patient of hers for a handful of years now. Critically reflecting, I can grasp to a degree the reasons some people may not "click" with Dr. Lau. She is very progressive and many steps ahead of the system when it comes to chronic debilitating pain. Brenda tends to think creatively WAY outside of the box and appears to create a plan of action if what she sees is medically and most beneficial for each of her patients in a case by case basis. Not only are the staff at the clinic always up for a good laugh, on the other hand, this doctor is the first one to point out your lost smile that's been found again. I admit, after years of seeing Brenda, her waiting periods can be long, yet this can be expected from a top notch doctor who is radically changing the perceptions and treatment of pain. She always seems to go the extra mile and injustice appears to not sit well with her. She has excellent bedside manner (even in hospital she came out of the OR multiple times to see if I was okay when having adverse reactions to medication). Her empathetic approach to life is a lesson I carry out in my own practice. Take the negative comments with a grain of salt- as I can assure you three years ago this wonderful doctor accepted me as a patient (when no one else did), took on the complex challenge, and even helped me when I was half way across the world in severe pain, ultimately at the end of the day Dr. Brenda Lau and the team of medical professionals that she helped build around me saved my life. I continue to count my blessing every night, I count Brenda and her holistic approach twice.

flag | Submitted March 25, 2016

Dr Brenda Lau is a compassionate, extremely knowledgeable and progressive pain specialist. I had little to no improvement in my symptoms until I started treatment at CHANGEpain clinic. My quality of life has significantly improved thanks to the expertise of the CHANGEpain medical practitioners. I highly commend the impressive work and dedication of the team at the CHANGEpain clinic.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2016

Absolutely destroyed my bf's mind with ketamine and methodone. He seems to think she is amazing but after a year + of nerve blocks and dry needling on top of all the meds they said "so sorry, nothing we can do" and thrust this clinical trial in his face. He also thinks hes famous at the moment and spoke to jerry springer, so his opinion is not the greatest. She should have her liscence pulled, it is destroying his life and he can't even remember who in the hell he is, but is paranoid that they will chuck him in some faucility for "knowing," so he "plays mr nice guy" She must be deaf dumb and blind to not see what she is doing!!! ALSO WAIT TIMES ARE HORRID.

flag | Submitted January 12, 2016

I am so sorry for anyone suffering months or years of pain and being sent to this doctor. She has biases against certain people and/or is selectively deciding who can and cannot have correct treatment. When someone is sleep-deprived and has 24/7 pain, they assume a doctor will properly diagnose and correctly treat them. This doctor will not. She is abusive, negligent and slanderous. Do not waste your time. I became permanently disabled under her care.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2016