Ratings for Dr. Richard Gorman

Dr. Richard Gorman treated me for severe anxiety and medium to severe depression right around the time of his troubles (see below). I submitted commentary to his legal representation at the time and I will say it again here. He is an excellent psychiatrist. He helped me deal with the unresolved grief and pain of my father's suicide dating back to 1996. I have nothing but kind words for him. Thank you Dr. Gorman. I hope you read this. P.

flag | Submitted June 21, 2017

I've been seeing Dr. Gorman for several years now. He is kind and caring, and very helpful. I understand there were charges and discipline against him, but that has never negatively affected our therapeutic relationship. Basically I came to him when I was very low and he's helped me p a lot, and I'm grateful.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2017

Do not see doctor Gorman if you are in emotional need. He does not care about what has happened to you or how it makes you feel. You might as well just go kill yourself.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2017

Hey Dr. Gorman. I'm no psychiatrist but I think that a therapist that can't resist a patient that falls in love with him is proof of a breakdown in the therapist's own private life. I think its called erotic transference which tests the therapists happiness in their own marriage. It appears that you were/most likely are very unhappy with your wife. Any why must the rating field require me to give you a minimum of 1 star. If up to me you would get 0 stars across the board.

flag | Submitted March 10, 2017

Very Helpful, very kind and caring. Helped me a lot in my life.

flag | Submitted February 17, 2017

Best PDOC I've ever had. He is caring, kind, and sensible.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2017

Finally Toronto East General Hospital has gotten rid of Dr. Gorman. Vulnerable women can sleep peacefully knowing that should they need psychiatric care and are taken to the hospital, they will no longer be subjected to the sexual advances of Dr. Richard Gorman. But be advised, he still has a private practice somewhere on Spadina Road near College Street so be careful.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

Toronto. On March 26, 2007, the Discipline Committee found that Dr. Gorman committed acts of professional misconduct, in that he engaged in disgraceful, dishonourable or unprofessional conduct, and sexual abuse of a patient by engaging in acts and behaviour including lying next to each other; caressing; embracing; kissing, including kissing on the lips; fondly her breasts and kissing her bare breasts; asking her to let him perform **** on her; engaging in a simulated act of sexual intercourse; and sending an essay containing sexual innuendo to the patient. The Committee ordered a recorded reprimand and a 24-month suspension of Dr. Gorman’s certificate of registration, 12 months of which will be suspended provided he meets specified conditions. The Committee ordered the imposition of additional terms and conditions, including that Dr. Gorman is restricted from doing psychoanalysis. Dr. Gorman was also ordered to pay a fine of $15,000 to the Treasurer of Ontario.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2016

July 6 2006 Guilty for sexual abuse on his patient. Warning this man is a scum bag and the government should remove his lisc for good! To whom it may concern dont waste a minute with Richard Gorman he is awful and outdated he should retire and be ashamed of himself dirty old man. And our great government who keeps people like this employed with tax payers dollars.Way to go Canada

flag | Submitted July 17, 2016

This guy is a great doctor. Very kind, compassionate and thorough. He takes detailed notes at every session and thinks about his clients on his own time, tries to help. He is very knowledgeable as far as medication is concerned - I have been happy with the meds he has chosen so far, and adjustments in dosage he has made. I have never had him fall asleep like some other people here are suggesting, he has never be rude, and I really do not think he is in it for the money - the exact opposite is my experience. (The charge for missed appointments, to me, seems understandable, fair, and also minimal - I know doctors who are charging twice the amount. Requiring the 48 hours notice of appointment cancellations is a standard practice, I never miss my appointments anyways, and if I missed one I would feel really guilty to have wasted his valuable time, and would definitely like him compensated for it by paying the missed appointment fee. As to the sore topic... if you read a little about his disciplinary hearing, the lady is not at all an innocent victim the, she was the one who initiated everything and kept systematically seducing him over the course of 2 years, then threw him under the bus when he rejected her. This has happened to many, I, for one, can definitely empathize, and as a result it doesn't bother me all that much. In fact, it makes him human and real, plus he has obviously expressed regret and paid his dues, so I'm sure it's something he has learned from. If he tells you to come 10 min early and then you end up waiting a little, it's probably only because many patients are usually a little late. I use the time to relax or put my thoughts together. His office is in a Victorian house, so I really don't mind his Victorian furniture and décor. So - to sum it up - I will have to say that some of these negative ratings look pretty bogus to me. As far as I am concerned, it isn't fair, he doesn't deserve it, and - to compensate for all this unfairness - I've decided to award him maximum points in each category.

Submitted June 12, 2016