Ratings for Dr. John F. Mahoney

I have been a patient of Dr. John Mahoney for the past fourteen years. In the year 2000, while working as a SW, i fell to the ground with a Grande Mal Seizure. Thank God i was unconscious and taken into Carney Hospital where Dr. Mahoney took charge. Very skilled, not only did he diagnose what many had told me were not seizures all my life, but he noticed thee were indicators of other situations going on. From that time until today there has not been a problem which he hasn't solved neurologically. If he finds that it is out of his specialty he has referred me to the most qualified in another. He is an excellent neurologist, lives up to the oath he has taken and definitely one you will not be dissatisfied with! If you ever have to wait, in his office, it is simply because the patient before you needs more attention. Once in the chair you will understand why. I love the service i receive, my Doctor and his wife.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2014

Dr Mahoney is a very intelligent doctor, and has over the years been extremely helpful at times. however when he doesn't have an answer or can't diagnose a problem, or is distracted by the extremely busy practice he maintains, he has become at times very frustrated and appears to be taking it out on the patient, and after many years of resolving several rather severe health problems , after not seeing him for over a year , and been referred back for his expertise by my Primary MD he suggested I find another Primary MD.I was certainly taken back by his attitude, as he over the years been successful at if nothing more than properly diagnosing my health issues, he has made it a priority to do his best to keep my chronic pain controlled. I do hope this was just a bad timing , type of situation and would like to continue to believe in Dr M.

flag | Submitted August 22, 2013

Worst Dr. Ever! Had one visit w/him, he regulated my meds, gave me hope that I finally found a decent neurologist! Told me to call when I needed refills, called, spoke to him directly, he said he would mail my refills as we had discussed at our first appointment. After checking my mail for 2 weeks (in severe pain), no prescriptions ever came. I called him back numerous times, no return phone call. called the office, secretary said she'd have him call, no return call. What kind of doctor does this?

flag | Submitted August 20, 2013

this doc so brilliant he remembers everything about you even if its been 2 years between appointments.Diagnosis's on the money. Shame people mistake brilliance for being a bit unconventional. Saved my friends life by getting to bottom of her myriad of health issues. If he was closer to home I'd go back. Yes you wait a fairly decent amount of time to see him at your appointment but he'd let YOU walk in if you HAD to also.His assistants screen out the phonies and have the priorities right. He is BRILLIANT.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2009

Dr Mahoney has been treating me for 20 yrs. He is always very professional and very helpful.

flag | Submitted March 21, 2009

This doctor is a menace. His record keeping is deplorable. He routinely gets his patients hooked on pain killers and then suddenly refuses to treat them any more. He is rude to to his patients and frequently reprimands and humiliates often using profanity in his full waiting room. Patients with appointments sometimes wait hours to see him because his "walk ins" are seen first. Some of his patients routinely show up for appointments obviously so high on drugs that they slur their speech and nod in their chair and wear sunglasses in the office to hide their eyes. Other patients show up inebriated with the smell of alcohol on their breath.

flag | Submitted October 22, 2008

Quickly and accurately diagnoses condition. Great bedside manner. Sometimes even answers his own phone!

flag | Submitted March 28, 2008

Dr. John F. Mahoney's Credentials

• Saint Louis University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1972)