Ratings for Dr. Steven J O'Brien

Rude, curt and arrogant. Pretended to know about my mother's comorbid condition and then proceeded to medicate her for the condition when he was given explicit instructions by me (via her neurologist) that a serious mental event could occur on such medications. He kept her lying in bed for 6 days at an orthopedic hospital right after a total knee replacement with no passive or active movement. Evidently his instructions for P/T's were to come and see what she could do. If she couldn't walk, they put her back to bed to lie there for the rest of the day without physical treatment or oversight of movement exercises. He berated us (me and my family) for not taking his inappropriate advice for aftercare given her condition, brushed off all of my questions defensively. I learned later on through internet research that he has a history of medical misconduct, so this is no surprise. He wrote a lengthy and incoherent paragraph about me in her Progress Report for being difficult to deal with and accused me of accusing his p/ts, staff, nurses, and hospital and himself of providing less than adequate care. The only true statement there is that I accuse him of unprofessionalism for the above reasons. He wrote more about me than about the patient. How arrogant! His staff in Uniondale and nurses at HSS were wonderful. The P/T's I don't know much about because I rarely saw them. Bottom line, he throws other doctors under the bus, my mother is much worse off than she was before going under his knife, and I would never recommend him. She was walking with a walker, pre-O'Brien, and is now in a wheelchair for life. Beware if you are the caregiver of an elderly person with a comorbid condition. He will treat the patient like a broken body part and cares nothing about the whole patient or aftercare. He brushed me off the phone twice, once because he had to go to his Harvard reunion, the second time was after a 2 minute talk on the phone, post surgery, as he had to go get dressed for dinner. I've met people subsequently who know him and of his reputation. I hope this disrespectful and negligent treatment never happens to another patient or his/her caregiver. It is wrong, it's unprofessional, and its meant to be intimidating. But he's not. He's just a person who seems to believe that he is a god of some sort who has no time to deal with caregivers who want to do whatever they can possibly due to help their charge recover from whatever trauma he has just put them through. I've really learned through this experience to always get a second opinion. Physical therapists I've worked with, who were actually offered jobs at the site he prescribed told me his 3rd unsuccessful operation should have never occurred at all. Malpractice, perhaps? I'll let the pros be the judge of that. His skill has been observed and is left lacking. I'd give his office staff 5 stars but I don't want to increase his overall rating.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2018

Performed a second surgery on my shoulder to try to help me with the pain. Found problems left by the previous surgeon which caused what ended up eventually being disability but wouldn't go on record to say that because he doesn't want to waste time in Court. Made me very uncomfortable with the way he stared at my wife.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2017

Had a total knee replacement with him. This man is so full of himself. He treats conditions, not the patient as a whole. Sounds like he has a "god complex."

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

I have seen numerous doctors,affiliated with different hospitals including another from HSS. I recommend him highly. Very caring and knowledgeable

flag | Submitted September 24, 2015

great,not good doctor. professional. also had surgery done at HSS which is also the best in the world.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2008

Just cares about the money-cares little for his patients, egocentric

flag | Submitted October 21, 2008

Dr. Steven J O'Brien's Credentials

• University Of Virginia School Of Medicine (Grad. 1981)

HealthFirst