Ratings for Dr. Ken Sutherland

In the twelve years I have lived in Owen Sound, I have seen Dr. Sutherland four times, each time for a different specific issue. Each time, he has resolved the problem as well as providing excellent information and advice. On my most recent visit, he took a comprehensive medical history. I later realized that some of the questions may have been designed to check for dementia or some other condition which would make me a danger to myself or others. Although the questions may seem onerous and irrelevant, surely that is part of the responsibility of a physician. I would go back to Dr. Sutherland in a heartbeat. He and his staff are wonderful.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2017

Where do I start. I can guarantee everything I need to say will not fit here. Went to this walk in clinic last week. I was the third person in line and somehow it turns out to be a 3 hour visit. Dr asks lots of odd questions and wasted about an hour asking things about myself like where I graduated and if I went to rehab and listed drugs asking if I did certain ones. He was mumbling a lot and his eyes were half open. I feel he was under the influence of some narcotic. I came in for a simple blood pregnancy test and a prescription refill which I had to state while I was checking in at the front desk to the nurse and she went and asked him if it was ok and he said yes so she registered me. I have not been at his clinic in years since I just moved. So anyway he asks to examine my belly and as I am getting myself up he puts both arms around my shoulders and stands very closely like to help me or something although I did not need help at all.. I was disgusted that he just put his hands on me again without saying anything or asking if I needed a hand. 3 hours is up and he says be right back while asking about my heart medicine and then he never comes back. I go to the front desk and the nurse hands me a lab sheet with almost 30 things checked off to be tested.. why I do not know, I only wanted a pregnancy test by bloodwork as I have fibroids and an ectopic pregnancy is more likely I am so angry that he did this. The nurse then holds up a prescription for my heart which is not the one I was looking to refil and says she has to fax it to Zehrs but would not let me see it. I asked what dose and she said 1 mg which is .5 more than I am supposed to have. I told sutherland I am supposed to get a referral to a heart specialist asap and get another holter monitor on and my medicine refilled for the next year. So he decides to change my dose and not refer me? What kind of games is this old man playing. I am so tired of this walk in clinic and Dr sutherland seriously needs to retire his ignorant self. Lets just say I walked out saying a few words fairly quickly. I will never be returning and I will be following up with the medical board about this. From what I have already read I am so disgusted that Ontario allows him to continue his practice. Also I was not informed of a fee for faxing.

flag | Submitted March 20, 2017

Dr Sutherland has been my doctor for many years and never had a problem with him until he prescribed me a pill that makes me very sick. He has all the notes in my file, I even asked him at the time to give me the one that doesn't make me sick. If doctors weren't so hard to come by I would leave. The staff however is awesome. They knew I was unhappy waiting for hours for a simple prescription, and although I still had to wait, they apologized many times.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2017

Wonderful Doctor, definitely takes his time to listen and explain his reasoning which plays in part with the low punctuality rating, if he gives me that much time he does for others as well. His staff is so kind and understanding, very cheery and supportive. When I had a meltdown, his nurse K immediately grabbed the tissues, hugged me and told me to take my time. I cannot thank her enough for that, she truly is an Angel. Having just moved to OS, I really wish he was taking on new patients but I do understand he has a full existing family practice as well as the walk-in clinic. For the time being I am sticking with him and his awesome staff! Thank you Dr. Sutherland, Thank you nurse K and front desk gal D, awesome medical team!!!

flag | Submitted November 29, 2016

Although you want to blame this doctor for all of your insecurities, just remember that he is the only one that has taken on the responsivility of the walk-in-clinic! Which we all needed in the small city of Owen Sound! He has stepped to the plate and without him I wouldn't have had anyone find the reason for my symptoms that have been overlooked for so many years! I am sorry if you had a bad experience with this doctor but I think he is awesome! God Bless All!!

flag | Submitted September 30, 2016

Oh boy ... where do I start. I cannot state strongly enough how displeased I am having been consulted with several times by this doctor who clearly, to me, is in it for the bucks. He talks too much without paying attention to whar I asked him for and was rude and insulting - told me I was a "trainwreck" which I found very hurtful and unprofessional. He refused to see me on my fourth visit because I had several issues I needed prescriptions for. His receptionist, Gail, has got to be the most snotty, rude medical clinic worker I have ever come across - never a smile just totally rude. Ken Sutherland charges $35.00 to fax prescriptions to Shoppers Drug Mart??? WTF? Even the pharmacist told me they get many complaints about his unprofessionalism and his high charges when most other doctors charge nothing. My mother was taken to him (aged 89) for severe pains and he lectured her and misadvised us and then walked out of the room without the courtesy of a goodbye - just up and walked out. He says he's a walk=in clinic treating basic health needs like cuts, scrapes and bruises and yet I see here he treats all sorts of people for extensive things. He told me my problem was too complex and he didn't have time to cnsult with me. I reminded him of the hypocratic oath. As far as I am concerned, the guy should retire yesterday - he only works 9-12 noon and seems to be a money grubber. This is my opinion based on three of our family members' experiences with him. I am going to have him checked out with OHIP and College of Physicians and Surgeons.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2015

Pill-pusher who loves to bill OHIP, check your OHIP billing records, free for the asking, you may be surprised what you've been getting treated for!

flag | Submitted August 19, 2014

No doubt he is knowledgable, though he was very excessive and and caused lots of pain by twisting my head and shoulder when I went in and asked for a prescription for massage therapy. The front lady is curt and frankly none of her business why a patient visits, she should stick to her computer! The nurse was nice and professional, though for total lack of introduction I assumed she was the doctor at first. Its unreal that after 4 fours of waiting and the pain the doctor caused me,(I had already seen two chiropractors and a massage therapist regarding this issue and told him as such, I only needed a doctor prescription for my insurance to pay the costs)that the clinic expected I was going to pay twenty dollars for the prescrition. I won't be recomending this clinic to anyone.

flag | Submitted January 21, 2014

Dr. Sutherland has been my doctor since 1990 when i moved to owen sound to take care of my grandmother. he was her doctor and even though he was not taking new patients at the time, he took me. i have never had a problem with him and he diagnosed me with meningitis before i even had the testing done! wonderful man and terrific doctor who will leave behind a nasty hole when he retires.

flag | Submitted September 13, 2012

Dr. Sutherland was my doctor for the first 18 years of my life. At age 13 I was very sick and went undiagnosed by Sutherland for over a year and almost died. I was scheduled for a test at the hospital and was given the results of the test before I had even had it done. No idea who's results they gave me. I went to a specialist in Hamilton and was diagnosed with Crohn's within 10 minutes and was treated. It was a classic case of Crohn's and I went over a year in Owen Sound without being diagnosed. I'm not an advocate for this clinic.

flag | Submitted September 29, 2011