Ratings for Dr. Enid Sindy Eriksson

I visited Enid for about a month or so about 3 years ago... and I do not recommend this doctor. She was late on several occasions (breaking her own late policy), would forget what we talked about on previous sessions and ask me to run her through what we talked about last time, and was not welcoming at all. She would make me fill out the usual useless questionnaire on every visit, and after a while of visiting her I started realizing that she was not listening at all. At the time I was in a messy relationship and having substance abuse problems, at one point she mentioned that I would not get married until I hit my late 30s or 40s anyway (I'm 26), and guess who tied the knot last year (with a better man)? Thankfully I overcame my substance abuse issues on my own after being turned off therapy after my visits to Dr. Eriksson. Unfortunately not much seems to have changed with her as I read the comments below. If you need someone compassionate who will LISTEN to you with open arms, and guide you in whatever it is you need help with, save yourself time and energy (and questionnaires) and avoid Dr. Enid Eriksson.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2017

I had a great experience with Dr. Eriksson. She was patient, a great listener, offered opinions and potential actions without pushing any agenda, and explained everything about CBT as we went through it. I came to her with a good idea of what I needed and how I wanted to proceed, and so her discussion-based approach worked very well for me. I can see how some might find her impersonal, but it is not her job to coddle or comfort - CBT is often uncomfortable work, and she was great at walking me through the process as a guide and sounding board without hand-holding. The questionnaires were an important part of tracking my progress and she kept fastidious notes that were often helpful in later sessions.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2016

This doctor makes you fill out a questionaire that is useless. Same questions reworded twice over. Perhaps, this is her evaluation but in a time of crisis it feels asthough you're a rat in a labratory.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2016

Not a warm Doctor, she'll make you feel uncomfortable

flag | Submitted January 30, 2015

I agree 100% on the last couple reviews on Dr. Eriksson. From my experience I felt that Dr. Eriksson only looked out for herself, she would constantly remind you of her late policy, renewing your OHIP card (she even called me to remind me that my health card expires in 3 week) and she would remind you of your appointment date over and over, even writing it on a card for you which made me feel very incompetent (despite the fact that I wasn't late once) it made me feel as though she was treating her patients as a source of income and I never once felt empathy from her. Dr. Eriksson had a system that must be followed or she would get very defensive. For instance, if you come in to her when something terrible just recently happened, she will not listen, calm you down and express empathy, instead she will make you fill out a questionnarie (like she does every session) of which she never discussed the results with you. I understand that she wants to keep track of your emotional state but I find it very difficult to accept that she couldn't take 5 minutes to simply comfort you, instead gives you paper work, which makes you feel so worthless and not worthy of empathy what so ever....is appeared to me as though this Doctor always looked out for herself. Most sessions I would feel anxious, she kept me on edge, I watched what I said carefully because I felt I would offend her if I spoke of other therapy treatments. One day I was almost running late for her session, at the time my friend was walking me to her office, when he saw how quickly I got stressed out because of her late policy my friend immediately pointed out that something was wrong with that- no Dr. should make you afraid. Now, I see another Dr. and in my first session I was late 2 min and apologized, he was so kind and said "why are you apologizing, please don't worry, its only 2 minutes" If you were late 5 min for Dr. Erikssons appointment she would make sure to point it out....almost fighting with you instead of taking care of you. It is possible that Dr. Eriksson does care for her patients but I recommend her to get some help in learning skills of how to show empathy, not to get defensive and just working on how to connect with people - every session did really feel like a business transaction. I am actually pretty relieved to see other raters feel the same way I do about her in terms of 1) lack of empathy 2) defensiveness and 3) income driven attitude, this tells me its not a coincidence and I am not over analyzing the situation or being too sensitive. I regret seeing her as long as I did, I waste my time and OHIP was billed for no reason- I guess one good thing came out of it, I can warn the public about her service. To the previous rater, thank you for the resources about mindfulness CBT, I will check this out.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2015

Dr. Eriksson has a lack of compassion for her patients. I concur with other reviews below. She is not really the person you want to see if you are going through a difficult time in your life. It seems she is not capable of expressing empathy to her patients. I saw her about 15 times, and it ended with me asking her to be more compassionate. I also regret having being referred to this doctor. In hind sight, it was more of a waste of time with her, and I often felt worse after the sessions than better. And not the ‘good type’ of worse, where you stir up issues that need to be resolved. It was worse for other reasons which I will explain below. “Shock” is a good word to describe how I felt coming out of the sessions sometimes with her. She does encourage meds, which, in my opinion is not a bad thing. I still find myself asking the question: How is it that a person in her position can continue to go on for so long without expressing any compassion for the person she is dealing with? She is very intelligent, and can get "concepts" quickly, and will understand what you are saying, but part (and sometimes a big part) of what a person needs when they are in such a vulnerable state, is empathy and caring. She doesn't seem to understand this, or perhaps isn't capable of this. She treats the practice as a CBT 'school' in a way. At the first hint that you are unsatisfied in some way with what goes on in a session, she will become veiledly defensive. It seems to be an automatic reaction from her. I just wish she could have been more compassionate towards me. There is such limited help out there from intelligent people, whom I can respect. I do respect her, I just felt that I was not getting enough out of the sessions. CBT can be very helpful for people. However, CBT is a simple concept, and does a person really need to go to therapy JUST to learn CBT? I found her sessions not much more useful than just reading about the simple concepts of CBT. In fact her sessions in themselves became a source of stress for me because I always felt like she was not on my side. She is really like an unfeeling robot. What worse description could possibly be given to a therapist, regardless of what the therapy is based upon? What all of her patients could really benefit from, is her going through some very difficult time herself, then maybe she would be able to understand where her clients are coming from. I don’t see any other solution. Do not miss appointments or be late – this can be hard for someone with anxiety problems! She will charge you IN FULL for the first session, or part of a session you miss. It was kind of awkward after she had charged me $70 for a half-session that I missed, and then the following week, she herself was over 10mins late. All I can say is that it was awkward. I find it somewhat strange that a doctor like herself will bill a client in full for a missed appointment. Perhaps if the client is well-off it would not be anything to think about. However, I am sure that I am not the only person that found the “late charge” very excessive. I think the clients should bear responsibility for being late and for missing appointments, whether they have anxiety/memory problems or not, but perhaps she could run it a little less like a business, and more like she is there to serve the public. Doctors are supposed to serve the public in Canada. Perhaps she could change the policy to something like the first three times you are late/miss an appointment, you will be billed for half the rate that she will charge OHIP. (She bills OHIP $140 per 50 minute session.) Come to think of it, she is only allowed to bill OHIP a certain maximum per year, therefore it is actually to her benefit to have clients miss sessions. Each late/missed session increases her annual salary beyond what the max she is allowed to bill to OHIP. Does this not sound a little confusing to people? From the system she has set up, it seems as though she is benefiting from her clients’ mental health problems where memory is affected. In the end, for a number of reasons, I felt that Dr. Eriksson did not really care about me. This really gets back to the core of it. From my viewpoint, she really could not care less whether you benefit from her help or not. This is shown in a number of different ways: 1. Lack of compassion/ capacity for empathy, 2. Payment system engineered to benefit only herself, 3. Her knee-jerk defensiveness if any question is raised about her therapy method, or any hint of disagreement/criticism is offered. She must have said to me every session: “CBT is what I do, and it may or may not be the right fit for you”. What do I need to be told that every session for, unprompted? Just to let me know that she as a therapist is completely emotionally uninvested, and fine with stopping all sessions if we somehow determine that CBT is not the right “fit”? I AM A PERSON WHO IS IN A VERY VULNERABLE STATE. Her telling me this every session was the last thing I needed. She really doesn’t seem to be able to focus on the issues that are really bothering me. It’s like she just doesn’t ‘get it’. My advice is to attend a mindfulness CBT class through the Center for Mindfulness Studies in Toronto. http://www.mindfulnessstudies.com/ The “Anxiety and Depression” one was more helpful to me than I could have imagined. They have a bursary program for low income people, which makes the course basically free. And the full price is more than worth it. Some people posting on here say that Dr. Eriksson changed their life. For me it was this CBT-mindfulness course from the Center for Mindfulness Studies that changed mine. At the very least, get on more than one waitlist for a clinician/therapist. This way you will at least have a choice, and not feel stuck with Dr. Eriksson. Of course, the sessions will help you some if you are in such a vulnerable or low point in your life. I mean, the only direction to go from there is up. But there are likely other avenues for help out there that you will benefit more from than Dr. Eriksson.

Submitted August 7, 2014

I would not recommend this doctor for the following reasons: 1. Not a specialist, only a medical practitioner. 2. Push meds. 3. Due to her lack of training, can't assist with simple depression or refer to the right specialist. 4. Gives random questionnaires with no sense, and doesn't explain results. Totally wasted my time, no advise, interested more about my socioeconomic status and I came out worst or in shock as I could not believe she has a licence to practice and consult psychological or emotional issues. I do not recommend anyone this incompetent doctor. I truly regret having met her.

Submitted March 4, 2014

I've been seeing dr. eriksson for 2 years and she has changed my life - I'm very grateful. Strictly speaking, she's a CBT practitioner as it relates to anxiety & depression, but I bring a mixed bag and I find that she has been able to deal with my varied issues while still sticking to CBT practices. I'm truly on my way to becoming the person I've always hoped I could be.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2013

I continue to see Dr. Eriksson on a regular basis and I can say, without hesitation, that she has changed my life. I have battled OCD since I was a child and it was not until meeting her, that I was able to develop the skills necessary to function and be happy in life. I waited about 3 months to see her (on a waiting list) but it was well worth it.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2012

I waited a few months before I got in, which was totally understandable being an OHIP covered therapist. Sometimes she's a couple of minutes late (like no more than 5) but its no biggie. She is very focused on the CBT model, and is very good at what she does. It is a very professional environment, she keeps things on track so no chit chat. I am very happy to have gotten in with her and I am continuing to see her on a weekly basis to deal with my anxiety and anger and unhappiness issues. I also really like that she doesnt push meds, as other therapists have done to me in the past. Count yourself lucky if you can get in with her, and in regular rotation.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2012