Ratings for Dr. John Maher

I have been a patient of Dr. John Maher for over four years. During this time I have found him to be very knowledgeable and helpful. He does not indulge in small talk, but listens carefully to the matter in hand and gives his opinion. Myself, a senior, and hard of hearing, Dr. Maher had much patience in this area. A first rate doctor. Rosemary Facey, Barrie. June 24th 2017

flag | Submitted June 25, 2017

gave me wrong diagnosis then denied it, rude impatient did not like him at all

flag | Submitted June 19, 2017

Went to De.Maher in 2012 I& 2012 recommended a very invasive procedure involving 5 days of blood transfusions for a diagnosis of a condition I did not have, only had 1 treatment, reacted negatively and shortly after had heart attack and then he referred me to neurologist in Toronto who said his diagnosis was not correct and treatment re condition should never have been undertaken, also found him quite rude, abrupt and unwilling to listen to the patient

flag | Submitted June 15, 2017

While dealing with the staff was better than I expected, I cannot recommend this Neurologist. He focuses on a confirmation bias in regards to his diagnosis as opposed to listening to the patient, and is rather rude to patient as well as his staff. Asking the nurse "Did you go to nurse school?" When she asked him about the time between missing a dose and when is it too long to take it (it varies upon medication). Definitely going to find someone new. There is more truth to the negative reviews on this page than the positive ones.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2017

Had the worse experience! He expects you to do your own research. Gave a a dvd video to watch to assist me in choosing the drugs to go on. It's 2017!!! All the drug information he gave me was old and never took the time to explain them.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2017

Worst doctor , Classic insurance doctor, I am reporting him to the ministry of health as a fraud

flag | Submitted September 21, 2016

Okay, so I read through all the comments before adding my own. On first impressions, Dr. Maher definitely lacks the 'bedside manner', 'hand-holding' personality, and constantly interrupted/didn't appear to listen. But I don't think it's because he lacks compassion. I think he's just one of those super-intelligent people that never really learned to pick up social cues or develop "people skills". As I got talking to him more, I could see he genuinely cared. I didn't feel rushed. I got all my questions answered and he was quite willing to explain my MRI results in depth. He's there to diagnose (which he did accurately); explain what my diagnosis means and the outcome, etc (which he did, in a friendly manner); and prescribe and monitor medication/treatment/results. My GUESS is that he probably doesn't deal well with questions like: "what modifications to my lifestyle do I need to make?" or "Do I need to sign up for Disability?", etc. because -- right or wrong -- I think he'd expect you to take the questions to your family doctor or a physiotherapist or whatever. Which is what I will end up doing when necessary.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2016

Waiting 2 hours after appointment time. No explanation. No apology. Doctor took a long phone call while behind schedule.

flag | Submitted August 24, 2016

A friend of mine had been treated my Dr Maher. He had been so positive with her and explained everything in lament terms. Once he moved to his new location he did a major change. He was rude, negative and arrogant. She has now been cut off her treatment. WTG on your Oath.

flag | Submitted July 19, 2016

I take my mom to see him, he contradicts what other Dr's have diagnosed my mom with, says my mom never had a stroke , funny how several other Dr's said she did. He's rude , impersonal and I feel we are just wasting our time and his time too. Still don't know what they heck my mom has and how to care for her ,she is just drugged up. I dread going for her appointments.

flag | Submitted July 13, 2016