Ratings for Dr. Mary E. McCormack

Dr Mc Cormacks no nonsense attitude and quick thinking literally saved my child's life! My child was born emergency c section and very close to death. Her quick action in assembling the c section team kept the neo natologist in the building to save my baby. Dr Mc Cormack followed up with us repeatedly after the birth to see how baby was as she was transferred to another nicu for lengthy almost month stay. She went above and beyond to do what she could to help me find peace in a horrible situation that I will deal with for the rest of my life. My husband and I thank his every day for her!

flag | Submitted August 1, 2017

Note in advance I’m sorry for the length. First, I would like to start off with if you’re seeing Dr. McCormack as a gynecologist I believe that she is wonderful, and based on that I also thought she would be a great choice for obstetrics. My thoughts were inaccurate; I have had two horrible experiences with her. I will start with my first pregnancy. I found out that I was pregnant during a visit to the emergency room. I was so excited and made an appointment to see Dr. McCormack. She was so friendly on the first visit, I thought I was so lucky to have such a great doctor. Then my second HCG level came back lower than the first. The Nurse on the phone went over all the numbers with me, but did not explain. I had to infer that I had a miscarriage on my own. Like any first-time pregnancy that ends in miscarriage I had questions. I wanted to speak to my doctor. That never happened. I was told I did not need another appointment to see her and they would follow my numbers down, which they did. No questions answered. I resorted to google to find hopeful answers to my questions. Let’s fast forward 9 months later. I woke up one morning feeling a little off and decided to take a pregnancy test it came back positive. How excited was I? I decided to go back to Dr. McCormack, I thought one bad experience can’t speak for the office. I was wrong. Later in my pregnancy I called the office to explain that I was having bleeding and heavy cramping, the nurse told me to come in for an ultrasound 5 days from them. I decided that something was wrong and I needed medical attention. I was correct, I was experiencing another miscarriage as I found at the emergency room. I was told by the emergency room doctor that Dr. McCormack asked me to make a follow up appointment in one week, and all my questions about the miscarriage would be answered. I called the office the next day to make an appointment. I was once again told I did not need to see a doctor only have my levels checked. So here I sit a second time, no questions answered. If you’re a healthy young female who expects nothing to go wrong with your pregnancy, then this is great office. If you have had any problems in the past, I would keep looking. My symptoms were not addressed, my questions were not answered, and my problems were not of concern.

flag | Submitted July 25, 2017

It was my very first child. Sometimes you don't know what to ask or what to expect. I'm sure every woman has been there and done that at times. Walking into the office for each appointment seemed a bit rushed through, but I understood doctors and nurses were busy these days. After all, I was just another patient. I should have thought differently. My story could have ended tragically now looking back. At three months in, I rushed to the ER in fear of an ectopic pregnancy. I actually found I was doubled over in pain with kidney stones. Getting ahold of Dr. McCormack was rough. My husband and I debated on going somewhere else after this mishap. We should have done so. In addition, I had been diagnosed with a maginal cord, which meant my cord was off center on the placenta. I had an anterior placenta as well. Dr. McCormack assured me this was all too common and that some babies grew smaller than normal. She assured me that they would keep a close eye via ultrasound. I should have known better. My baby grew a normal weight thank goodness. In fact, her weight was above average. What had me worried was the fact that I had been 37 weeks, bleeding off and on, and dilated to 2 cm for several weeks straight. With a bloody show and no delivery, my mind was racing on why I was not delivering my baby. This is not unheard of, but many people ,who had large families, thought something was not quite right. And that was when I read all about maginal cords and complications at birth. I researched how the cord could wrap around an infant's neck due to complications from a marginal cord. So the day before my scheduled induction, I raced to the office to explain away my concerns. I explained how I was scared to induce. I was greeted by a "less than thrilled" nurse with attitude. I was wasting her time because she wanted to leave her shift. I was given a stress test which turned out fine. I knew it would because I went to the ER concerned about the bleeding an hour prior. I begged them for an ultrasound. They did a stress test. No one was listening. I suppose my child was fine now and there was no need for an ultrasound. My issue was at delivery. What if I delivered my child and she had a cord wrapped around her neck due to the marginal cord? Of course my doctor was not there. I had to talk to another. Was my doctor every around to listen? Was she even listening? I pleaded for an ultrasound to make sure my labor was progressing properly. Then I pleaded for an ultrasound to see if a c-section was needed. No one would listen to me. I went through with the induction the next day after the other doctor convinced me to. I was 6 days over and miserable. Sure enough, my child was in fact born with a cord wrapped around her neck tightly several times. She also had left a couple rounds of merconium inside me as well. I went through 28 hours of labor. My child was in NICU for 24 hours. Did anyone bother to ask why I was not progressing? Of course not! So if you ever consider going to Dr. McCormack, please be advised. Find someone who listens to your concerns and understands that you know your body best. Think twice before seeing her.

flag | Submitted July 15, 2017

Dr. McCormack is amazing and is willing to do everything to help her patients.

flag | Submitted October 28, 2016

I was naive & happy with my care until I hit that magical 41 weeks, when they try to induce all of their moms. I had a horrible labor and ended up with a traumatic csection. I had no idea that it's completely normal for first time moms to go past 41 weeks. There was no reason to give birth immediately. I know my due date was wrong and wish I would have fought harder for correct dates. I also wish I had known that I had the right to refuse induction. If you choose this practice for your prenatal care, I strongly suggest learning as much as you can (on your own) about induction of labor, how due dates aren't deadlines, and how valuable labor support like a doula can be. Take a childbirth class not associated with the hospital. Come to ICAN meetings (https://www.facebook.com/ICANofNWIndiana) to learn about how to avoid a csection. I hope none of you reading this will have birth trauma like I (and so many other moms) have had. Let baby pick its birthday, be informed, and know your rights.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2014

had belly/back pain 2 days after birth, found i had a huge ovarian cyst, all 3 docs at this office saw me, drained it thru my stomach awful! after being in the hospital for 6 times in a year and on narcotics for pain managment because the cyst kept coming back i begged her to take out the overy, she wouldnt but took out the cyst a 5 hour surgery should have taken 1 hour. cyst came back again and again i was in the hospital, finally i found a doc to listen to me who took out my overy and i have been fine and pain free for 4 years now. i begged her for a year to help me and all i got was pain drugs and treated like they didnt believe me. i was hurt, i loved this doc b4 this, she delivered both of my kids and was great for both. after a year and 200,000 in medical bills for hospital stays which cld have been provented if she would have just listned to me i woulndt go back. she just kept draining the thing a huge needle thru my stomach more then 10 times. it was tourture!!!!!!

flag | Submitted July 21, 2009

Dr. McCormack has been my doctor for both of my pregnancies. She is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. She's also kind and funny too. Whenever I was worried about something with my body (which happens alot when you are pregnant)she easily and always calmed me. She never had a problem with me bringing my two year old into the room with me. While I was in labor, she listened to me when I was in pain and understood and respected my choice for using a sedative to ease the pain. Not once did she treat me condescendingly. I would recommend her to any woman (and I do to my family and friends)

flag | Submitted March 3, 2009