Ratings for Dr. Louise Chuu

I have been a patient of Dr. Chuu's for over 5 years. As of today, I am done. It is impossible to reach her. She NEVER returns phone calls. She forgets to write prescriptions, send referrals and call to discuss surgery results. Her admin staff are some of the worst I have ever encountered. I recently called five times to politely ask for a mammogram referral. Her admin asst assured me I would have it yesterday. Never happened. And I know I will never hear from anyone in that office again, despite the staff's assurances. No matter. There are better doctors with much better support staff in this city. No one needs to tolerate the lack of professionalism, accountability and follow through that you experience when dealing with Dr. Chuu and her staff.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2016

I went to Dr. Chuu for a routine checkup. Dr. Chuu took samples for lab and performed an examination, which seemed pretty routine to me. After I was done, I was surprised to find out that she categorized my visit as a general visit, not as I intended, a routine check up. Never mind, I did not complain, since I did have an issue I addressed during the visit, so I paid a copay, even though otherwise it would have been zero, and left home. Once I got home I realized that because she coded visit as a general visit, I will be 100% responsible for lab bills. I called her office and spoke with her medical assistant, asking to discard samples and not send to them back. Medical assistant, called me back stating that she spoke with Dr. Chuu and all samples will be discarded. She assured me of that. Needles to say that few weeks later I received a steep ( at least for me) bill for these lab tests. My emails and phone calls regarding this issue were not returned, I had to deal with very rude office staff who would try to tell me that, our good doctor has a right to sent lab tests against my wishes, because as a doctor she knows best what is good for me! Now I am stuck with the bill for service a specifically ask not to perform. Very arrogant, careless and I would even say unethical, behavior of this doctor and her staff. I would not recommend her to anyone.

flag | Submitted February 7, 2015

I looooved dr chuu... She was my trusted doctor throughout my entire pregnancy. She was the third musketeer. I really felt great about having her as my ob/gyn. ... Thr last time I spoke to her ws the morning I went into labor. She told me to come to the hospital... Didn't see her during the entire 35 hours of labor. Fine, I didn't expect her to deliver the baby. But 36 hours later I still hadn't seen anyone from her office... And I was across the street from her office. The maternity nurse eve said she was on duty on the day I gave birth, but she never came by. So after I got thr heck out of sT Luke's I wrote a letter to the head of ob, explaining why I wanted my records transferred, how I checked myself out of thr hospital after feeling like we weren't cared for at all (did I mention I was pushing for 4 hours because we couldn't get a dr to care enough to stay in the room?) ... Total breach of every kind of dr/patient relationship. Never again.

flag | Submitted July 3, 2012

Everything seemed great at my first appointment - the office staff was nice even though I had a long wait, and Dr. Chuu seemed very professional. I left feeling at ease, however a week later I received a series of voicemails from the doctor beginning at 4:30pm about my test results. By the time I could return the call the office was closed, and so I spent the weekend worrying what could be wrong with me. I could not reach Dr. Chuu the following Monday and was finally called by another doctor in her office on Tuesday to give me the news. She said Dr. Chuu prescribed medication, but couldn't make sense of the directions and had to call me again after calling Dr. Chuu to check. I was also told Dr. Chuu would be calling me later that day to first apologize and then also to answer any questions that I had. I never heard from the doctor or anyone else at the office again. I'm still amazed at how poorly things were handled.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2012

I was not impressed with Dr. Chuu for a number of reasons. First, when she ordered tests for me she became impatient when I inquired what they were for. Second, when the results came in, she sent a recommendation to me through the mail for more follow-up tests. I happened to be in the process of moving, and only ended up receiving this letter months later. I was horrified that Dr Chuu never called to confirm that I received the letter or had the tests! Finally, on my last scheduled visit Dr. Chuu cancelled on the day of my visit because it was "her day off". Huh? The appointment was booked at least a month in advance. Could have been a mistake made by her staff but in any event, that was the final straw for me at that clinic.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2011

I really like Dr. Chuu. She has always been very friendly and listens well. She also takes the time to explain things and always follows up with a phone call if she needs to explain test results. I also find comfort that she takes everything seriously and will do the necessary follow up work (i.e. extra tests, etc.) She has also referred me to great specialists if the subject expertise is out of her domain.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2010

I must say - my experience was not unlike the person's who rated this doctor on 6/1. Dr. Chuu told me she would order a test to be done on the spot in the office. She forgot to do that. She also forgot that she was to write me a Rx and give me a referral to see a fertility doc! All of this during the same visit. I think the practice is, in general, a kind of mill, and that people aren't really treated as whole human beings there. I am definitely seeking care elsewhere. The friend who originally recommended her said she had a good experience, but suspected that it had to do with the fact that she was pregnant and was under Chuu's care for that. I don't know - trying to find a good, caring gyn in NYC who might actually get to know who you are if you aren't pregnant? Well, best of luck to us all...it certainly is sad that women doctors are conforming so tightly to a patriarchal and capitalist way of treating women's bodies....

flag | Submitted November 12, 2009

I really like Dr. Chuu. She saw me through a second miscarriage, a horrible experience that could have been much more horrible if I worried that I wasn't getting adequate care. The nurses are good, though I'm not crazy about the front-desk staff. It's a fairly crowded practice BUT I kind of forget about all of that because she is a very good doctor.

flag | Submitted June 16, 2009

I went to her a few times and she had trouble figuring out my issue. I felt as though I was diagnosing myself. She also lost my labs and told me to come in to get it done again. I didn't go back. a few weeks later I got results in the mail from the "lost" labs. SHe did not call to apologize or explain.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2009

Dr. Louise Chuu's Credentials

• Hebrew

• State University Of New York Health Science Center Of Syracuse (Grad. 2002)

AARP