Ratings for Dr. Marc R. Safran

I am very surprised by the negative reviews, because Dr. Safran has provided me excellent medical care in all respects. He is renown in his field (president of the International Hip Arthroscopy Association), has a friendly and warm bedside manner, and prompted me to ask any questions. I had arthroscopic hip surgery by him two weeks ago and I am amazed at the change already. I feel very fortunate to have had him provide my care, and I am quite picky before I rate a physician as excellent.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2015

I have seen Dr Safran three times. I was shown his notes by my referring doctor. The notes were woefully inadequate and failed to contain any real detail of my clinical picture. He recommended surgery on relatively scant evidence. When I got a second opinion from neutral third parties (two of them - both with experience with olympic athletes), their advice was DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE SURGERY AT THIS POINT IN TIME. The Stanford orthopaedic group is reputable because of the Stanford name. I have had problems multiple times with them with communication and manner, and I just don't think they listen or particularly care. I have had world class care before (as an elite amateur athlete with national team docs). I don't care how many publications these guys have, be wary about their advice. The technical expertise may or may not be good (that's hard to evaluate), don't get surgery without really understanding why and without feeling your situation has been evaluated carefully.

flag | Submitted May 2, 2014

I've consulted Safran for my hip several times and found him infuriatingly moody. Largely arrogant and uncompassionate, particularly in the presence of fellows/resident. Safran is recognized internationally for his hip arthroscopy skills, but regardless of his technical abilities (which were not sufficient in my case, as my hip procedure failed), his terse and poor bedside manner is inexcusable.

flag | Submitted July 4, 2012

Dr. Safran is regularly and unrepentantly late in keeping his patient's appointments. Dr. Safran operated on me. In my six appointments with him, five of them involved long waits, with four of them being longer than one hour. Twice I left without being seen by the doctor because I could not wait longer than 1.5 hours to be seen.

flag | Submitted May 15, 2009

Dr. Marc R. Safran's Credentials

• Duke University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1987)