Ratings for Dr. Stephen H. Johnson

Dr. Johnson and his staff including PA Kate Woods were excellent in guiding me in my decision about surgery (I am a healthy female in my 30s who had a microdiscectomy for an L4-L5 disc herniation causing disabling pain and immobility), in caring for me during the surgery, and for guidance after in how to avoid re-herniation. Dr. Johnson is kind, patient, and helpful, and an excellent surgeon. Thank you Dr. Johnson for helping me become immediately pain free and restoring my function!

flag | Submitted April 6, 2016

Dr. Johnson was not my doctor, but I had a very good experience with Dr. Dafford, who has since left practice. My rating is for the office staff. I have NEVER been treated so rudely! Staff does not care one bit about patient care, doesn't return calls and is unhelpful (& actually defensive) when asked questions. PLEASE do not believe the "patient empowerment" pledge on their website! It couldn't be further from the truth! They won't even provide a copy of a single office visit without requesting a fee. They actually contribute to a patients pain by causing undue stress! FIND ANOTHER PRACTICE!

flag | Submitted October 19, 2014

I was sent to 4 doctors before I went to see Dr Johnson. It was he who diagnosed my injured back correctly. I had herniated discs L3-4-5 and damage to S1 nerve bundle. I have recommended him to friends that are just as happy.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2014

Rude and arrogant! No compassion at all. Terrible.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2014

Would not recommend Dr Johnson to perform surgery on anyone you care about. Very abrupt no compassion very incompetent my friend was in emergency room and later admitted to hospital L3,L4,L5 had bulging disc's pain level a 9 could barely walk had surgery in Dr Johnson's words I can fix this tomorrow you will up and walking and home the next day THAT WAS 5 days ago pain now at a 10, can't walk without walker and assistance, Dr Johnson has not seen her since day after surgery guess is he left fragments in back and possible nerve damage? He has not explained or tried to find out what went wrong all they do is keep her drugged up????? Would not recommend this surgeon to my worst enemy

flag | Submitted May 16, 2014

He was one of the most arrogant Dr's I have ever met. Never touched my back. Never made me get off the table.He gave me three options and I asked which would he recommend and he refused to answer. I left unsatisfied and will never return - terrible experience.

flag | Submitted June 24, 2011

The only thing I can say is, if you have back pain go to Boston. Boston says I have an injury which requires surg. and he said he couldn't find anything "maybe shoe shims " would relive my pain. As a new patient in pain you would think he would stay with me for more than 5min.

flag | Submitted December 18, 2009

Very rude and rushed. Appointment was less than two minutes. Ends up he was wrong in his diagnosis.

flag | Submitted June 23, 2009

He's very kind and compassionate as well as a very good surgeon. I have recommended him to a few friends of mine who were in need of a neurosurgeon.

flag | Submitted June 14, 2009

Everything about this office and this doctor is excellent.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2009

Dr. Stephen H. Johnson's Credentials

• University Of Pennsylvania School Of Medicine (Grad. 1984)

Medicaid / Medi-Cal