Ratings for Dr. M.J. Van Der Watt

Had to go to the hospital for spotting in early pregnancy. It was busy in emergency but when i finally got to see the doctor he was helpful and kind and put my mind at ease. Blood tests were done and he order another ultrasound to be performed as soon as possible. Thank you! I was crying upon check in and it was a long wait but worth it.

flag | Submitted October 14, 2015

My husband met Dr. Van Der Watt at Chilliwack Hospital Emergency early this morning. This Dr. quickly assessed my husband condition and ordered blood work, x rays, pain management and a CT scan to be done later the same day. The entire process was brief, efficient, informative and respectful.

flag | Submitted May 18, 2014

My daughter's class became infected by a strep infection and a couple if weeks later she became very ill with a high fever, blisters in her mouth, was lethargic and complained of a very sore throat so I took her to the ER in Chilliwack. There Dr. M. Vander Watt examined her and told me that her symptoms didn't warrant the use of antibiotics at the time, he took a swab and informed me that the results would come in two days and if needed, they'd be prescribed then. I told him about the infection at school and asked if I could have a two day prescription and he replied arrogantly, " well, if you want to listen to your intuition instead of mine"...he would give me a short supply. I started treatment right away and within a day my daughter was feeling a million times better. The results came back and sure enough, she had a strep throat. Glad I listened to my intuition instead of his after all!

flag | Submitted June 27, 2013

had him at emergence in CGH. Arrogant and as cold as a dead fish! Don't want him anywhere near me. Told my on doctor - who reluctantly agreed. His attitude leaves a lot to be desired!

flag | Submitted January 29, 2011

I went to the emergency in major pain with a issue I am having with my throat. I had shared that my other doctor had given some pain meds as a sample and he told me he did not believe me. I then talked to the nurse to get his name and info so I may be able to get my specialist to talk to him

flag | Submitted January 10, 2010

I saw Dr Vanderwatt regarding a pain in my chest & was advised it was a chest cold. He spent about 2-3 minutes examining me & advised me (quite matter of factly) that he couldn't give anything for it & walked out of the examining room.He was not very thorough as I ended up in emergency dept 4 days later for emergency cardiac double bypass surgery

flag | Submitted December 21, 2009

flag | Submitted August 26, 2009

Dr van der Watt is my elderly parents' Dr - our assistance is required for all aspects of their care. We've had numerous problems getting appts, info and help through the office staff who are the worst I've ever experienced - once you meet Dr van der Watt, things are better and my experience has been good, my sister-in-law has less favourable comments - he is certainly busy and as Drs are very hard to find in Chilliwack, this is not a surprise. One issue I have is that his office number is unlisted!! even on the BC Medical website. Like many Drs, his office staff are ridiculously difficult when family call for info about people who are unable to look after themselves - we need to protect patient privacy but I would think protecting lives by giving basic updates to family (esp when the Dr agrees they are unable to look after themselves) comes first.

flag | Submitted July 9, 2008

i had this dr? in swift current forgot me in his office on 2 different occasions, i had to go check with his nurse , i had been feeling just terrible asked him if i may have west nile , he never asked any questions just a blunt no.and sent me out of his office . 2weeks later i had a stroke , was sent to ,the neurlogist there said it should never of happened. good luck to you all

flag | Submitted October 7, 2007

Just like the good doctor my family is new to the Chilliwack area. My six year old son had chronic allergy problems which resulted in breathing difficulties. Since he was born I took him to varius doctors in Surrey and Vancouver and nobody seemed to be able to help. On our first visit Dr. VanDerWatt diagnosed the problem sent me to a specialist my son had his tonsils and adnoids removed. Instantly the breathing and allergy problems were gone. He is one hundred percent better and we are very fortunate to have this doctor in our community.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2007